Interested in doing some cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have been diving for about 2 years now. Have my OW cert and most the basic gear.

I am interested in doing some cave diving and have a couple of questions:

1. What additional training is required?
2. What additional gear is required?

Here's another good place to start: NSS-CDS Training Programs | National Speleological Society Cave Diving Section

You might also consider calling Edd at Cave Adventurers for info (Cave Adventurers - Home page - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!). I called him when I was starting to think about cave diving and he was enormously helpful, even before I began my training. If you're nowhere near FL, I expect he can point you towards good instructors in your area.

---------- Post added November 9th, 2015 at 12:11 AM ----------

To answer your questions:

1. A LOT
2. See #1

There are typically several stages of training between OW and cave, but the number of steps depends on the certifying agency. You may be content with only the first level, "cavern" in which you may enter a cave but stay within the daylight zone. You can see a lot of cool stuff, and you will be trained to respond to many additional dangers associated with the overhead environment. This is a good feeler course to see how much you enjoy this type of diving. Then, subsequent levels take you farther into the cave. All of this trainjng requires superior in-water skills and gear that is not typical of OW recreational (i.e. Not tech) diving.

Now, as this is a new thread and no one has started this fight yet, I'll throw in the first blow and say that not all cavern trainjng is equal. I took a PADI cavern class and was no closer to being prepared to cave dive than I was before I took it. Recognizing this, I took a PSAI cavern class and it completely changed my diving for the better. There are good PADI cavern instructors out there, but ask around A LOT before you pick an instructor(from any agency), because this level of training is a whole different thing than OW, and you want to KNOW that you are learning from a topnotch cave instructor. Find Jim Wyatt's sticky thread about choosing a cave instructor for more philosophical and practical advice on that front.

Good luck, safe diving.

If you are in New Zealand you might contact Jamie Obern. He could certainly give you an idea on what you need to work on to get to there. I'm sure there are many other too, but my experience with GUE instructors has been they are all extremely competent.

Thanks for all the help. Only new to this forum and loving all the useful information.

I have been diving for about 2 years now. Have my OW cert and most the basic gear.

I am interested in doing some cave diving and have a couple of questions:

1. What additional training is required?
2. What additional gear is required?

1). Most agencies have cavern, intro to cave and full cave. Some have just 2 levels, others have 4 levels. Then the question is, what do you want? Just stay in the daylight zone, or do you want to go further in caves? Most times you don't know already.
There are 'zero to hero' courses, then you will get in about 8-10 days to full cave. Yes, it is possible, but only if your skills already on a high level. As ow diver you have normally a lot to learn (aow cert, nitrox for example just in the sportsdiverarea and then transitioning to doubles, wing, longhose, hogarthian backplate, maybe drysuit, etc). Learn new finkicks, etc. I had 2 years a certificate too when I decided to do a zero to hero cave course. But I was already diving with a twinset, wing, drysuit, longhose, etc. Trim, bouyancy and finkicks where already good enough too.
I don't say you are not diving good enough, nobody can see this from behind a computer. Maybe you are good enough. But for cavern you need to have AOW most times, so start with that. And take nitrox too. And start to practise the frogkick and so on if you are not used to dive with this finkicks.

2). Cavern can be done with a normal bcd and single tank. You need to have some lights and a reel/spool. And as I said an aow cert and I would prefer nitrox too. Intro to cave can be done with a single tank, but I won't prefer. Full cave means absolutely full technical equipment. And it is not only owning, but you need to be used to dive with it. Maybe you need a drysuit too, so used to dive a drysuit is another prerequisite then.

When a person wants to start a techcourse with me, I try to dive with them before starting to see how they dive and then I can advice them.

If your profile is correct and you have less than 24 dives in two years, I'd suggest that the first thing you need is neither equipment or training. It's more experience in open water diving.

If your profile is correct and you have less than 24 dives in two years, I'd suggest that the first thing you need is neither equipment or training. It's more experience in open water diving.
Agreed, strongly.

I would agree, but I would ask whether the OP has dry caving experience? If so this can be a factor. Dry cavers do start diving simply in order to cross sumps. I personally am not sure that I would call that "cave diving" - that term to me means backmounted doubles and Floridian style diving in big clear water "caves".

I started cave diving after many years of open water diving. I would say that the minimum training level is Advanced Nitrox, so you are familiar with and experienced with doubles. You need to be able to do valve shutdowns and handle an Hogarthian setup. To start the Adv EAN course you really need about 200 or more dives and Rescue or the equivalent. So by the time you start cave training really IMPO you should be at 400 or more dives and comfortable in the correct equipment. With far more experience than that I personally found it very challenging. You also need to be very safety oriented and level headed - this has little to do with dive numbers or scuba training :D

Cavern is a worthwhile thing to try if you can find a good instructor that will give a taste of caves. Or it can be a waste of time. I don't think it is completely related to whether it is a PADI course or from a technical agency, more about the venue and the instructor.

The best thing I can recommend however is to get out of the holiday diver recreational mindset. Cave means being pretty dedicated and being prepared to put in the time, effort and money. If the opportunity arises please do try to get on a GUE try dive day. (I assume they have them in New Zealand). GUE is not to everyone's taste but they are first and foremost a cave training agency. You will get to meet and talk to people that do cave diving and can show you the sorts of skills and equipment that it takes. They are generally inexpensive as they are a marketing tool to persuade people to buy more GUE training. You don't have to buy the follow on training and the day is a real eye opener for most people that do it - you don't need GUE compliant equipment either.

I still consider myself very much a novice when it comes to cave diving - it really is just like starting over. Take it easy, don't let people rush you into anything you are uncomfortable with and it is something that can be very rewarding. You are (at OW) a few thousand dollars away yet. Please enjoy the journey.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2015 at 04:46 PM ----------

Just had a quick look at New Zealand - this is possibly something you might want to look at.

TDI Cavern Diver | Global Dive

Looks like there is only the one GUE instructor there. Also looks like some nice caves. Must get over some day - friends there to visit as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom