Santa Rosa Blue Hole / Need Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been trying to locate the person (HEAD DOG) who is incharge of diving activities in the Santa Rosa Blue Hole. But so far have had no luck.

I am trying to gain access below the grate for a scientific cave expedition.

Can anyone provide and name, phone, e-mail

Thanks

I assume your talking Santa Rosa New Mexico? You might try talking to Stella Salazar at the Santa Rosa Dive Center there (505) 472-3370, if she doesn't know maybe she can point you in the right direction.

I know the State Police divers put a new grate cover on the area last year, so maybe they have control over it. Don't know for sure.

Curt,

The last time I was in Santa Rosa, Stella told me the grate was permanently sealed now. Of course, being a new diver, it is possible she told me that to eliminate the possibility of me getting stupid and dead.

Like ABQ said, call her and see what she says. As manager of the facility, if she can't grant you access, she can tell you who can, or IF anyone can anymore.

I hear that the cave below the grate is supposed to be pretty incredible, but I've got many years of recreational fun to go before I'm even thinking of going that way.

Hello Curt,

I have been to the Blue Hole once a month for the last 15 months....

I help train advanced level divers there and at rock lake.

I spend my time at the bottom of Blue Hole because of the number of divers
being cert. at the 20 feet level.

" at the blue itself " there is a very big funnel and grate over the entrance to the cave system...

I dont know if you have looked at the entrance lately, but it is not that big ....

There has been alot of dreging (I think that's right word) done to Blue Hole here of late.

I believe you might want to take a look at what's there, now.

But, if you do get something going there I should would like to help out.

bob fridell

Saw this old post. If still interested I know the NM State police dive team leader. The cave system is incredible below. I've seen maps, but not been in it, 300 feet in spots. VERY doubtful they open it as they just spent a bunch of $ putting a permanent seal over it and now so small you would need to shove your tanks through first on 14 footers and I think you would still get stuck half in / out. gam@flash.net

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom