Intro to Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Far_X

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at doing the Cavern course and Introduction to Cave Diving with Bird's Underwater based at Crystal River, FL in November. I have used them in the past for snorkeling and drift diving (Rainbow River) but have not had instruction from them other than "stay out of the sanctuary" :) Has anyone received training from them or know of the type of operation they run for the caves? If anyone knows of great alternatives, much is appreciated. Thx.

Far_X:
I am looking at doing the Cavern course and Introduction to Cave Diving with Bird's Underwater based at Crystal River, FL in November. I have used them in the past for snorkeling and drift diving (Rainbow River) but have not had instruction from them other than "stay out of the sanctuary" :) Has anyone received training from them or know of the type of operation they run for the caves? If anyone knows of great alternatives, much is appreciated. Thx.

Bird is one of the best. His schedule is very busy so talk to him way in advance. He is an excellent instructor and cave diver.

Can highly recommend Reggie Ross, and the rest of the team at Ginnie Springs. I did my caven and intro there, and plan to return for full cave.

You can also try some other independant instructors as well, my instructor, Rick Murcar (GDI off this board) teaches cavern through full cave (well by the end of next week full cave, for now he does up to intro). We are just finishing up our cavern course with him and will be starting on the remaining skills for intro that we have yet to do in the near future - we are always diving in the springs (ok except at the moment some are closed - reversing flow, rivers flooding, trees down stopping access - go to the sinkholes). You can check him out on his website. He runs a hard course, puts in a lot of emergency stuff that others wont touch at cavern level, will push you in that and at intro (in a good way)! :wink:

Thanks for all the suggestions. It is greatly appreciated. After careful deliberation, I have decided to get DIRF training up here in NY and then move on to Cave 1 through GUE. Some of the folk recommended here train Cave 1 so that is good news. Thanks once again.

Good luck with that! Whichever instructor you go with i am sure they will provide a pretty through education.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom