Ginnie Springs Accident 3/9/2002

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterlover

Contributor
Reaction score
Any body have any information on what happened at Ginnie yesterday?
Ken

A lady about 30 years of age died of what appeared to be an embolism. She convulsed at 110 ft and was brought up with her head in the down and not the up position. It is not known whether she would have survived even if brought up properly. The person who informed me of the particulars is not a doctor, but had talked with a witness there. My condolences to the family.

BTW, my rescue class only touched on convulsions (OxTox), and really did not push home the need to keep the airway open on ascent. I would have probably made the very same mistake if I were the rescuer.

If there is anyone else on the board with info, we would all like to read it.

Originally posted by NetDoc
BTW, my rescue class only touched on convulsions (OxTox), and really did not push home the need to keep the airway open on ascent. I would have probably made the very same mistake if I were the rescuer.
Pete,

Are you talking about keeping the head titlted back and neck supported pseudo CPR style as your ascend?

In my rescue class, we covered doing an unconcious diver ascent this way, pushing them up chest first so that when we surfaced, we could immediately determine if they are still breathing on their own or not and begin in water ventilation if required.

I remember it vaguely, but I really wasn't happy with my rescue diver class. I will be doing a NAUI and a YMCA rescue diver class this year. I will also be doing a lifeguard class.

I'll post more info when I have it.
Terri was a close friend of the family, when my wife and I get back from Tennessee I will let you know what happened.

Kevin Robinson

A lady about 30 years of age died of what appeared to be an embolism. She convulsed at 110 ft and was brought up with her head in the down and not the up position. It is not known whether she would have survived even if brought up properly. The person who informed me of the particulars is not a doctor, but had talked with a witness there. My condolences to the family.

If there is anyone else on the board with info, we would all like to read it.

Rescues from an overhead environment can be very different than an ow rescue. Sometimes there isn't enough room to get the diver in the position you learned in your rescue class.

Also O2 tox isn't the only thing that can lead to convulsions underwater. Any number of things could have happened.

I'll post more info when I have it.
Terri was a close friend of the family, when my wife and I get back from Tennessee I will let you know what happened.

Kevin Robinson

This is all I have for now, I will post more when I get back from Terri's services in Tennessee.
Thanks, Kevin Robinson

Hello everyone,

We wanted to give you an update and to let you know what we understand happened this weekend. As you may already know, Terri, Alan Williams' wife, died Saturday afternoon. If this is the first you are hearing of this, we sincerely apologize for the news coming in such an impersonal way. We felt it was important to reach everyone as quickly as possible with the most up to date information.

The following information is what was described to us by Alan and Renee Erdman who were cave diving with Terri in the Devils ear cave system at Ginnie Springs.

The three of them had done a nice, easy dive up the Hill 400 line to a place called the Ice Palace. The three had dropped their stages at the Hill 400 jump. After the dive was turned, Terri led out, Renee second and Alan in the rear. They went back to breathing their stages at the Hill 400 jump and continued their exit with Terri leading at a nice, leisurely pace. When they got to the Key Hole, Terri went vertical, and turned around facing Renee and Alan. Renee got to Terri first and looked directly in her eyes, noticed that Terri was on her back up regulator (not the stage) and was preparing to offer Terri her regulator. Within these few seconds, Alan was immediately there, having deployed his long hose regulator after also noticing Terri was on her backup regulator. Alan said as he tried to give her his regulator he noticed her eyes were closed and she had stopped breathing. Both Alan and Renee said there was a slight shudder, then Terri went limp. Alan begin towing Terri out by her harness, keeping her head back to open the airway. On the exit, Renee tried purging air into Terri's mouth, but there was no response. The exit to the surface was hindered slightly at Devil's Ear when Terri's light cord caught on the log. The total time to surface from the Keyhole was 8 minutes. Upon surfacing, they began calling for help and people on the surface assisted removing her from the water, removing her gear, and administering CPR. CPR was done by individuals at the site until paramedics arrived and CPR was continued for about 30 minutes by the medical personnel. Terri was unable to be revived. Both Alan and Renee skipped over 22 minutes of decompression, but have had no effects of DCI.

Tina got a call at about 5:30 from a friend who was on the scene and immediately went to High Springs where the group was staying. After packing up their hotel rooms, Alan, Ted Walker, and Sid & Renee came to our house in Gainesville. We have had a very emotional weekend and to say that it has been hard is a great understatement.

At this time we have no definitive explanation for what may have caused this terrible turn of events. We do know that the dive went flawlessly and that, as always, each person was diving well within their training and experience. Terri had not complained of any medical problems prior to the dive, and gave no indication of experiencing any problems during the dive. We are all patiently awaiting the Medical examiners report in hopes that some explanations might be gathered as to the cause of this tragedy.

The weekend has been a flurry of phone calls and emails. We are all thankful for the many true friends and loved ones who have called and written to express their sympathies and support. It gives us great peace knowing Alan and their families have such a strong support network. Many of you called Saturday and Sunday wishing to speak to Alan and we appreciate your understanding when he wasn't up to talking on the phone.

We are hoping that this email will help alleviate the need for Alan to recount the tragic event of this past Saturday. Alan, his family, Terri's famliy and all of his close friends are going to need a great deal of support in dealing with this. If anyone would like to discuss this further, you can feel free to contact Tina and me as we will do all we can to assist.

Alan, Ted, Sid and Renee are on their way home today and will unquestionably experience a fresh wave of grief once they reunite with their family and friends. All we can do is keep them in our prayers and to be there for them in this, their greatest hour of need.

Prayer lamp lit, bright & steady for the family & friends.
Love,
Rick

This is a very unfortunate situation. My (our) thoughts and prayers are with you all.

for your loss. thank you for passing this information on. Please convey the sorrow and sense of loss from this tragic event. It is always sad to lose a fellow diver, even one whom I have not ever met, and to try to imagine the pain of the family.

Peace be with you.

Campana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom