What sized wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I want to get a new Halcyon single tank wing with my tax return, but not sure what size to get. I was thinking the 27lb wing. I would be using it wil single Al80 or single steel 85.

Wendy,

Check out this similar thread.

Something left out of this thread is whether or not you'll be diving wet or dry - you might be able to afford getting a slightly smaller wing if you're diving dry because of the suit's inherent bouyancy, but there's the question of redundancy should your drysuit ever flood (yuck). I dive a 36lb wing with a 7mm wetsuit (obviously losing the suit's bouyancy at depth due to compression), and it's fine. I think I could get away with using a 27lb wing as well.

Ben

I could probably get by with a 27 but I went with the 36. Most of my diving is dry and when its cold I add insulation and weight.

Wendy,I use the 18 for summer diving offshore.With a polartec or skin and an al80 I'm neutral with an empty tank .If using more than a 3mil suit the bouyancy swing is to big .

I didn't notice the 18# in the new Halcyon catalog or on the web site...has it been discontinued???

Wendy I dive a 27# wing for my singles rig now (I still have a 45# wing that is heading for ebay)

I do dive a drysuit but wet or dry isn't the issue. All the wing has to do is carry the weight of a BP and full tank at the surface... the 6~9#s of gas that you are compensating for during the dive is well under the threshold of consideration. The extra weight you need for your suit (wet or dry) should be carried (IMO) on a belt. This divides the load and keeps the wing small.

I have the 27 lb wing and dive a 5mm wetsuit. With alum80 or steel98 it does fine. I wear about 9 lbs of weight. The only time I had a problem was one of my first dives and I was 12 lbs over weighted, (full steel98) I could just barely stay up, once some gas was breathed it was Ok, but that gives you a good idea of how much leeway you have in terms of buoancy.

Tommy

for singles including 80's, 72's, and 95's. It's been fine, and should provide ample lift. The 36# is allegedly the same size with some baffles added so that the lower part carries a bit more air, but I think you'll be happy with the 27#.

On my tropical rig, with aluminum backplate, my 27# wing, and my small Halcyon weight pockets, my rig is very compact and light. I really love it. I use it with a .5 mm and a 3 mm.

Hey Campana,

Have you tried the 27# on that Mondo plate?

How was the trip to "warm water land"?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom