Half dry, half wet caves.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently heard about a cave here in Japan that is shallow water - maximum 30 ft - with air available above the water in the cave. Now I know that with my overhead cert I am only trained to penetrate a flooded cave/cavern to the limit of natural light penetration. What would be the situation in such a cave as I described above? Would diving such areas be counted as diving in an overhead as there is available air above?

Kim:
I have recently heard about a cave here in Japan that is shallow water - maximum 30 ft - with air available above the water in the cave. Now I know that with my overhead cert I am only trained to penetrate a flooded cave/cavern to the limit of natural light penetration. What would be the situation in such a cave as I described above? Would diving such areas be counted as diving in an overhead as there is available air above?

The danger with the half flooded cave is that divers might go under an overhead without realizing that they no longer have direct access to the surface, especially, if they have really cool 18w HID lights that chase away the darkness.

There's a place like that in the USA- Bonne Terre Mines. They use it for open water training dives, but there are lights strung up everywhere overhead, they don't allow powerful dive lights, and it's more or less a guided tour with safety divers.

If this half flooded cave has an ambient light zone, then I think it would be fine as long as you follow the cavern guidelines- buddy teams, backup lights, continuous line to open water (or maybe entry point, in this case), and rule of thirds. This would be to protect you in case you did end up under an overhead. If it does have an ambient light zone, that this is probably an ideal place to practice reel skills, lights out drills etc.

I would also check to see what the local custom is- maybe it is set up to be safe for open water dives or maybe 60 people have died there in the last year. Local dives shops would be a good place to start, if you haven't already checked there.

We have lots of caves like that here in the US. As Doiteasy points out is that you will often come to a sump and be in a true overhead.

I don't do alot of it but when we're traveling through a cave like this we do it on the surface to save gas for the sump and the good vis out of the water make exploring much faster. In fact unless we knew there was a sump and planned to explore past it we wouldn't even bring scuba gear because of the huge amount of work often required to get the gear to the cave in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom