Cayman Brac Airport Connection question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thumper517

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings all,

I have a question regarding travel to Cayman Brac.

We will have to fly to the Grand Cayman Airport and get on a flight to Cayman Brac with just a 50min layover.

The airline is telling us that this should not be a problem. It seems like a problem to us.

Will we have to go through customs, immigration, and re-check our baggage in this time?

Any feedback from someone that has made this connection would be appreciated.

Best Regards

a much greater factor would be if your plane is ontime or not. if you can try to get a seat near the front of your incoming plane, customs moves rather quick for such a small airport. If I remember right there are 7 or 8 lines that with move rather quickly. The way the airlines pad their flight times nowadays I wouldn't be concerned. Check with your airline a couple of times and ask them what was the actual arrival time in GCM and from my experience you'll see they come in early. You'll have a blast, even flying to the Brac on a 737 is part of the fun.

Mark

Which airline?? The island hoppers are pretty good about waiting for folks coming from the mainland. Just make sure they know so they will wait.

You'll be connecting to Cayman Airways. Immigration and Customs works pretty smoothly so long as multiple planes are coming in at the same time. What airline are you flying to Grand Cayman?

On our way out of Cayman Brac in March, we had to stop over in GCayman to pick up the flight to Miami. The plane was late to Brac, and therefore late to Grand. We had to pick up our luggage, RUN across the airport and claim our bags, then RUN to customs and drop off our checked luggage, then WAIT in a LONG line for security and then RUN to the Cayman Airways plane that had been waiting for us for a very long time. The other passengers were not happy with us, but the plan waited because our group was about 20 people.
We're not really sure why we had to go through all that since we were still on Cayman Airways, and that flight was only from Brac to Grand. It was very unnerving.
Hopefully, you'll have better luck going the other way!!

Well, if you are inbound to Grand Cayman on Cayman Airways, I think the odds are excellent that the airline might wait in the event of a short delay.

Sppedy travels, and enjoy your trip.

Drew Sailbum:
Well, if you are inbound to Grand Cayman on Cayman Airways, I think the odds are excellent that the airline might wait in the event of a short delay.

Two weeks ago, we were inbound to Little Cayman from Miami on Cayman Airways. The flight was late leaving Miami, but the gate agent assured us that she would contact the Cayman Airways Express people to make sure they held the Little Cayman plane for us.

When we deplaned in Grand, the Cayman Express plane, scheduled to depart at 5:05 was parked beside us and had not even started boarding. We zipped thru immigration, grabbed our luggage, got through customs very quickly and RAN to the Cayman Airways Express counter to check our luggage. At which point we were told that yes, they had been contacted by the Miami agent, but they could not wait any longer. At that moment, we heard the plane take off. It was now 5:11. We were parked in a hotel on Grand, and, because the next day's early flight was booked, missed most of our first day on Little Cayman. People at the resort who had been on the 5:05 flight said that it flew half empty.

On our return flight from Little, the plane was 50 minutes late, and we again did the "airport marathon" on Grand. Were it not for the fact that security was hand checking every carry on bag, which slowed boarding, we quite possibly would have missed that flight as well. We were the last 2 people to board the Miami flight.

I have taken the Cayman Airways flight from Houston a couple of times and on to Little Cayman with a 1 hour layover and never had a problem. I agree with Drew if you are flying through with CA then you should be OK. Have a great trip!

The last flight out to LC has time limitations due to the fact that there are not any lights on the airstrip in Little Cayman. Otherwise, you would have probably made your flight.

You are right, most of those flights are pretty booked up.

Back
Top Bottom