Cayman Brac Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim Ingersoll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Our dive group is headed to Cayman Brac for the annual dive trip in January, 2003. We have done Little Cayman and were very impressed by Bloody Bay Wall (best wall diving I've ever done). A new diver to the group wanted to do the Tibbetts and we found a great rental villa on the Brac so we ended up there. I have heard that the diving is just as good on the Brac as Little Cayman its just that the walls start deeper. Any opinions? Any favorite dive sites to ask for? We chartered a dive boat out of the Cayman Brac Beach Resort for a couple of days. Any opinions on the dive operation? How long does it take to get over to Little Cayman? Any help appreciated.

The diving would be as good LC if you dont mind the reef starting at 65ft., there are some awesome sites, it would be the best if you could do Nitrox on the north west dive sites. I know that Divi uses Nitrox, but I'm not sure about the Brac Reef. At "School house wall" is where you'll find flying gunards, but if you go to the edge of the wall, you'll easily be at 90ft., look between 55 and 70. There are quite a few sites that are not used all that much -west of "School house wall" that are really awesome, one of the sites was missing its bouy for quite a while, that would be Strawberry Wall, last time I was there it was really great. Also East chute has been a favorite for me, but its easy to get to over 100ft. there.
The sites on the south side of the Brac arent as good as the north side, the same is true for LC.
I have dove the Tibbets a number of times, but after a couple of dives there, I've had enough, I love the reef.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

It's been a couple of years since I dove Brac, but it is probably fair to say that Bloody Bay Wall has few competitors for grand diving in all the Caymans--Brac or not.

However, there are some very nice dives on Brac along the west side, especially if you can convince the dive op to head a little to the north. I like Greenhouse Wall for a deep dive (100 + ft if you want), followed by a shallower dive at Greenhouse Reef.

Schoolhouse Wall is nice and you may get to see a few large pelagics there. Strawberry Sponge Wall is nice--lots of garden eels if you like things that pop in and out of the sand.

Many other dives are good, but the Tibbets, when I dove it, was very over-rated. The ship had not been down long enough to gather much in the way of sealife. There was a nice green moray with a wicked-looking, twisted mouth that could be seen free-swimming fairly often. But other than that, it was fairly boring--unless you enjoy looking a nicely preserved aluminum. Do it once and go on to better diving.

Oh yes, give the Captain's Table a try for dinner: they did a nice job for us!

Scorpionfish

Back
Top Bottom