Hurricane Gustav

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont

Contributor
Reaction score

Wunder Blog : Weather Underground

"By Friday, as Gustav approaches the Cayman Islands, the storm will be underneath an upper level anticyclone, and over the highest heat content waters of the Atlantic. The HWRF and GFDL models respond by intensifying Gustav to a Category 3 hurricane as it passes through the Caymans. I think it is plausible that Gustav could intensify further, to Category 4 strength, before hitting the Caymans. If you have plans to be on the northern Cayman Islands--Cayman Brac or Little Cayman Island--on Friday, be prepared to be stuck there for several days, as Gustav may heavily damage these islands. Grand Cayman Island is also at risk--the GFDL model predicts Gustav will pass very close to Grand Cayman on Friday afternoon."

I'm supposed to be headed to Grand Cayman on Saturday.

Got a couple of Emails from Divetech saying they are planning on going ahead with TekWeek (starts this weekend)

What to do,what to do........................See how things look on friday I guess.

ianr33 you had better check with your airline. I would be surprised if they fly to the caymans on Saturday.

No option to reschedule for Cayman on the website. (Although it is there for Jamaica,Cancun and Cozumel)

Continental Airlines - Important Notices

Interesting times.
Phone them anyway. I'm sure they have a lot of leeway...

Edit: Well, it looks like he going thru there on Friday as Cat-1 at most, so maybe they don't see a problem for Saturday flights there.

Last edited:
Just back from Little Cayman. They closed all the dive resorts on Wed and cancelled Tuesday afternoon dives. Cayman Air added a few flights out on Wed am to get everybody out, then added a few out of Grand Cayman to Miami, then we were all on our own to make our way home. There were only about 16 divers as they were renovating one building, so not a huge deal to get us out, but the staff needed time to prepare from Gustav. LCBR handled everything well. Trip ended up getting cut short by 3 days, but I took out trip insurance for this one, so need to go call on that now.

Just back from Little Cayman. They closed all the dive resorts on Wed and cancelled Tuesday afternoon dives. Cayman Air added a few flights out on Wed am to get everybody out, then added a few out of Grand Cayman to Miami, then we were all on our own to make our way home. There were only about 16 divers as they were renovating one building, so not a huge deal to get us out, but the staff needed time to prepare from Gustav. LCBR handled everything well. Trip ended up getting cut short by 3 days, but I took out trip insurance for this one, so need to go call on that now.

I have looked high and low and have had no success finding travel insurance that didn't have natural disaster (hurricane) exclusions. If you insurance pays, can you let us know what insurance you got.

Thanks.

I have looked high and low and have had no success finding travel insurance that didn't have natural disaster (hurricane) exclusions. If you insurance pays, can you let us know what insurance you got.

Thanks.
I've been using Buy Travel Insurance & Compare Travel Insurance Plans | TravelSafe on a per trip basis: Economical, comprehensive, and when it really counts - processed the claim quickly with no problems. The were glad to pay my losses when I left Cozumel in advance of Hurricane Dean last year.

Or compare ALL of them: http://www.insuremytrip.com/myquotecalc-package-1000-0-30005-933049.html

I'll let you know if its covered. i did it thru insuremytrip.com also. Chose CSA. They are mailing me a claim form and rep seemed to think it would be covered. LCBR offered us credit on the unused days/dives, so thought that was great. I was able to re use most of my ticket, and even though it was ff miles, they worked with me and I wasn't charged a change fee. So I really only have the flight from Grand Cayman to Miami to claim. So if its covered, I will be a believer in trip insurance! It was inexpensive and will be worth it if it covers this.

CSA paid on the Hurricane Dean escapes in our Cozumel group last year. I think my chosen company is more competitive, but you should be fine. In fact, Travel Safe pays even for losses offset by future use credits like you were offered; CSA may as well. Both are good carriers with good products that supply peace of mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom