Divi Tiara on Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to Divi Tiara next month for Nikon school. What's the scoop on the op and the resort? I've not been to Cayman Brac before....but I've been to Grand Cayman.....specifically East End.

What kind of conditions can I expect for sea state typically?

What's the resort like?

Restaurant decent?

Tell me what you know please!!

Thanks!

Food: Plentiful and very good. Can't say anything bad about it. Lobster and grouper and shrimp, oh, my!
Dive Shop: Good people, responsible and knowledgeable. (for some reason, there were a few people in my group who disagreed with me, but I thought they were all just excellent). I took my nitrox class there and it was like fifty bucks. Two of us in the group had issues with our regs and they took care of it at minimal cost and hassle. When you check in, you put your gear in a supplied bag and never have to touch it for the rest of the week. They take your gear to the boat (where it stays for the week), and set it up for you, all you have to do is tell them if you want nitrox, then sit on the platform and they put your BC right on you, all you do is stand and giant stride. I thought I would hate that, but I didn't. :D
Diving and boats: Absolutely First Class. WAY better than I expected. Calm seas, interesting dive sites (all different), excellent marine life, great night diving, Russian Destroyer is a cool wreck. They took us where we wanted to go. Be sure to ask them to take you to Little Cayman.
There are timeshares there at the resort which are apparently always full, there is a loyal following. That in itself speaks volumes about it.
I *loved* this place.

SueMermaid once bubbled...
They took us where we wanted to go.
I *loved* this place.

.........What she said!

Have fun,
Caymaniac:)

Double Ditto on that...very good op, easiest way to dive ever..very laid back place, awesome diving, good food as I remember it.

AggieDiver

We were there in January, Very good op. No complaints.

Diver Lori once bubbled... [/QUOTE]
I'm going to Divi Tiara next month for Nikon school. What's the scoop on the op and the resort? I've not been to Cayman Brac before....but I've been to Grand Cayman.....specifically East End.

First, make sure that you have flights to get there. The Cayman Brac airport's code is 'CYB'. This may sound blatantly obvious, but I've actually met people on Grand Cayman who tried to hire a taxicab to drive them the 85 miles across the sea!

Typically, *NOT* this:

gc6z

(Divi Tiara at Cayman Brac during Hurricane Lily, September 2002)

The Resorts are located on the island's Southside, which is typically to windward, except during the 'rough' winter months. Normally, the dive operation will go to whichever side of the island is in the lee, although its not uncommon in the summer for the weather to lay down and let them go anywhere they want.

Overall, I'd say that the typical sea state is maybe 1ft swells on the "leeward side de jore", very little (if any) currents, 100ft visibility and in July, probably 85F water. Easy stuff.

What's the resort like?

Note: I'm a timeshare owner here and have been going to this location annually for the past 14 years.

Its not a four star Hilton. Its 71 rooms, divided among 5 buildings. Two buildings are 2 stories tall, and 3 are 3 stories tall. Here's an OLD photo of the waterfront to the east...this encompasses about half the property:

http://www.webspan.net/~hummer/pic/divitiara.jpg

Overall, the buildings are physically old, and always in need of some TLC somewhere: Divi had financial and management problems before the recent economic downturn, but the staff is doing their best with the financial support that they get from HQ.

The staff is generally good, although there are a lot of little "could be done betters". For example, during my last visit, I found out that my office had been trying to reach me and had been left messages at the front desk because the room phone was broken. These messages were never delivered. This isn't the first time that I've had this particular problem - if something bothers you, you're going to have to speak up because it won't fix itself by magic.

Restaurant decent?

Yes, it is decent. Breakfast is cook-to-order (usually by Cliff), and lunches might be a "prefab" or a grill item. Dinner is served all-U-can-eat buffet style, which IMO means that your best dinner is available when they open at 6:30pm and it has sat the least amount of time in the steam trays. Because this question keeps on coming up, I transcribed into a webpage a copy of what Divi's menu was two years ago. To see it, click here.

One thing I'd additionally note is that because there's no fast, close meal alternatives (Aunt Shea's is a quarter mile walk/bike), I strongly suggest that first time visitors pick up at least the 'MAP' meal plan, because it reduces hassles and its less expensive than picking up the same meals individually.

-hh

My wife and I took a trip to the Divi Tiarra in the beginning of May. I'll just touch on a few important items.

1. We traveled during the week, which is a lot less hectic than the weekend. From Friday night to Saturday night, the amount of guests increased from 20 to 70. Obviously dive boats became more crowded. The Divi has 3 larger boats and 1 smaller boat. If they need more boats they call in a boat or two from Grand Cayman. Our two tank morning dives ranged from 14 to 18 divers, plus the DM. It is a little crowded, but do-able. The staff hooks up your BC and regs before you leave the dock. Once at the site you grab your mask and fins, go to the back of the boat, put your stuff on and the DM/captain grab your setup and put it on your back. Stand up, adjust, ad giant stride in. You don't have 20 people trying to put on fins, BC and tank and then stubbling into each other waiting to get in the water. So it isn't too bad.

2. The normal schedule is Tues/Thurs/Sun, they take a trip to Little Cayman, and Mon/Wed/Sat, they go to the Russian wreck. There is always at least 1 boat that does local Brac diving everyday. If you get at least 12 people interested in going to LC a different day of the week, the Divi will consider it (weather permitting). The boats leave at 9am for the morning 2 tank dive and 2:30 for a one tank afternoon dive. Night dives are scheduled for Tues/Thursday (weather permitting). You need at least 6 people for the night dives.

It seems that even though there may be 70+ divers at the Divi, VERY FEW do the afternoon 1 tank dive. We did a few of them, and I think at most there were 8 people on board. The last day we were there, there were only 2 divers plus the staff. I think they take the afternoon boat out regardless of the number of divers signed up. The additional cost for the afternoon dive is $30. I guess most people don't want to pay the extra cost. If you get a dive package, you get 1 trip to LC. If you take other LC trips, the additional cost is $30. The night dive cost is $40. (All costs are US). Nitrox cost is $12 per tank. They use a 34% blend only.

The only thing I didn't like about the LC trips (we did two trips) is the time factor. It takes about 50 min. to get back and forth. Then the second time factor is that they want to get back to the dock by 1:15-1:30 so people can get lunch. (Lunch is served till 2pm). So after the first wall dive (maybe 50 min.) and a short surface interval (25 min.), they give you a time of day to be back on the boat (about 12:30 pm). This does not give you a lot of time on the second dive. Then if you want to do the afternoon dive you have to get lunch right away and then back down to the down for the afternoon dive. Both of our trips to LC, we skipped the afternoon dive, too hectic. The Sunday trip to LC is even a little more hectic due to all the new incoming divers from Saturday. They give a group talk before leaving the dock, so the boats leave 15 min. late. The time adds up quick.

All the diving was good. Some spots had better fish life, others had a shear wall, etc. We did not see anything large (sharks, dolphins, etc.) There were reports of some sharks the previous week off LC. We had no luck during our stay.

3. Rooms were adequate, nothing special. Food was great. Everything is buffet style, all you can eat. If lunch is not included in your deal, it is $7 for the salad bar and sandwich bar or $15 for salad/sandwich and the hot buffet. We included the lunch in our package for $100 for the week. It is not much of a deal, but if it's not included and you want lunch, you just have to pay it. There is no fast food or annything quick nearby. There is the Captain's Table restaurant nearby, but we ate at the Divi the whole time. The food was hot and good and dinner included Steak and Lobster (on Wednesdays), Lamb, Turkey, T-bone steak, fish, shrimp, pasta, etc. They usually had at least two main entrees every night. My wife is a real picky eater, and she found something every night to eat. The hot lunch included pasta, chicken fingers, chicken parm, pork chops etc. All very good. Cliff makes breakfast for you, including french toast, pancakes, omlettes and eggs. They had bacon/sausage everyday in addition to rolls, muffins, bagels, fruit. They have a soft drink machine for your Pepsi products (included in the meals) plus lemonade, tea and coffee.

4. All the staff (resort and dive), DM's, boat captains are all nice and friendly. We didn't have a single problem....other than they were building a new outside bar and started working at 6 am. So it was a little early for hammers and saws. But the planes start flying around 6:15 am. So something will get you awake.

5. Not much else to do on the island. You can see a cave or cliff or visit a shop or two. But you will need a car. You can arrange a car rental at the front desk.

6. If flying Island Air, they do have have a 55 pound per person weight restriction. They charge $.50 per extra pound (minus the carry on luggage). But the only carry size allowed is maybe a brief case size bag. We carried our camera bag and reg. bag, but thats it. It you have too much luggage, and the plane is full. You may have to leave a bag behind for a future flight. They will bring it within 24 hours, so pack light and if you are over the limit, make sure you have a bag packed that you can leave behind. We met some people who were 70 pounds over for 3 of them. They had to leave stuff behind on the way over, and then take some stuff over the day before they left so it could make it to GC. (Plus the extra cost, both ways). Remeber on the way home, things will be wet and heavier!

7. If your a pet lover, the Resort Manager has a Brac Lab (part brown lab, part shepard) named Sharka. A very playful dog. There are also three cats that come around for dinner scraps. These cats ARE NOT friendly. They will come and take food from you, but you can't pet them. The two orange cats, you can pet there heads while they eat, however, the calico one will swipe at you at any time....food or not. She is mean!!! They also have some little brown/white birds that come around for lunch and breakfast. MY wife would hold out a piece of bread and they will take it out of your hand. My wife is an animal nut.

8. Lastly they have a water trampoline. It is worth a laugh or two. Just make sure noone in your group has a camera. You can't really jump around, and as you move the tramp moves in the water causing you to fall on the edge. It is fun to watch others try it out.

Also, there is a setup at the end of the dock where fisherman will come in and clean their fish at the end of the day. They throw the guts in the water which attrack taurpen, rays and a nurse shark. Very cool to watch them all battle for food.

All in all we had a great week, and would go back. If you would like any more info. feel free to ask or PM. Have a great trip.

Jeff

Jeff,

Great report! I have more than 15 trips to Divi Tiara Cayman Brac and can vouch for all the positive details you have mentioned. You should be a travel mag editor!

However, this will be my first year to miss going to the Brac since 1988! Why? I'm a timeshare owner and the timeshares at Tiara are so dilapidated as to be unliveable. The furniture was falling apart and the electrical fixtures are missing and in some cases dangerous...i.e., ground fault interrupters not functional, etc. The worst problem, the wooden shutters, which were all most impossible to open, close or slide, was still not solved in the summer of 2003.

We owners have been promised repairs, but they've been promised before by a long string of managers left hanging by an equally long string of home office CEO's. Still, the diving brings plenty of mostly non-repeat hotel guests who could care less about conditions in the timeshares. Also, the crowded diveboats are often monopolized by dive groups for whom the entire boat is often reserved. Time share owners, who rarely are a part of such groups, have to scrounge among whatever is leftover for slots on board the dive boats. I've not been able to book a Little Cayman Trip for two years!

So you see, my side of the picture is quite different from yours. More than half of the timeshare owners who were among the original members during my time period have ceased to come.

John T.

Jeff....

You've responded to a post of mine from last year. My trip to Divi came and went and is chronicled in another thread.

Lori

Diver Lori:

What's the resort like?

Restaurant decent?

Tell me what you know please!!

Thanks!

Myself and a team of divers spent a week at Divi, had a great time. We did the survey of the 356 russian destroyer for the resort. You might see our poster of the wreck there?

The resort is clean, the tiki bar is great and the diving is just as good if not better than Grand Cayman. If you get a chance go to little cayman and bloody bay wall. I think I gained 7 pounds that trip so the food must have been good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom