Floating bar at Stingray City?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deac in the Wake

Contributor
Reaction score
One of the things that has always struck me about the Caymans is the paradox between the strict environmental laws and visible enforcement and the complete lack of respect and concern in some areas for that very same environment. Forget the entire history of turtling which by most estimates decimated turtle populations by over 95% and the recent ridiculous complaints about iguanas disturbing tourists along 7 Mile Beach.

The situation of Stingray City has always bothered me. On the one hand, you get exposure to a tiny population of stingrays who have become used to human interaction and feeding over the last 40-50 years. Few if any other places in the world provide an opportunity to interact with these wonderful creatures like Stingray City.

On the other hand, it's increasing wildlife dependency on humans at best and marine animal harassment at worst. Look don't touch and leave only bubbles are fading whispers in Stingray City.

So now I read that the Liquor Licensing Board has approved an initial plan to have a vessel basically anchored/moored at Stingray City to serve alcohol.

I see dollar-signs (as in CI$) getting the primary consideration and the environment again coming in last. Despite the "rules" and "regulations" they will stipulate, if this truly comes to pass, I see trash in the Sound; drunken tourists harassing stingrays; and any number of accidents involving intoxicated snorklers, divers, and boats.

I sure hope I'm overstating it and expecting the worst-case scenario. But my experience tells me that when it comes to people and oceans, "worst case" is often the prevailing condition.

I agree with your assessment, I was against development when they ripped out the mangroves also. The diving on the west side used to be much better 20 years ago when there weren't so many hotel cesspools either.

I realize that there is a point in having people to an island to enjoy it but there's also got to be the thought of destroying what you have come to enjoy with development.

Then there's the matter of diving off from LC, too many divers are loving the reef to death. If you have photos from 15 to 20 years ago of BBwall area, you certainly would notice the difference. As well, the west side of GCM is crap from what it used to be, and visibility can be terrible.

Off BB wall
File0111-1.jpg

the Brac
File0302.jpg

GCM
File0131.jpg

File0109.jpg

As always, I am in awe of your pics, caymaniac!

I agree with your assessment, I was against development when they ripped out the mangroves also. The diving on the west side used to be much better 20 years ago when there weren't so many hotel cesspools either.

Ditto. I'm keeping an eye on the braccish pond behind the new 'Alexander' hotel on the Brac, as there's been a proposal to dynamite through ~100ft of karst and reef in order to abolish this Bio Reserve and make it into a marina. For the most part, the opposition appears to mostly be the expense of moving the road, not the implications of habitat loss for the endangered West Indian Whistling Duck.

I realize that there is a point in having people to an island to enjoy it but there's also got to be the thought of destroying what you have come to enjoy with development.

This is a tricky balance to try to achieve, between preservation and development. However, what is easy to understand is that development that destroy's the original appeal of the destination should be intuitively obvious. Nevertheless, Cayman now has its KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut, etc...it has become "Miami South", which means that one doesn't need to fly any further from home than Miami.

Then there's the matter of diving off from LC, too many divers are loving the reef to death. If you have photos from 15 to 20 years ago of BBwall area, you certainly would notice the difference...

I have years of such UW photos in my film archives - - I really need to make this a project to get them digitized & online so that more people can see & recognize the changes that have occurred over what's really a relatively short timespan.

For today, I will offer this shot...a former diving friend who I just learned yesterday that died this past summer. This shot's from roughly 20 years old, back when she was around 50 years old. Brac divers will recognize this as the Cayman Mariner on East Chute, long before the wreck collapsed:

bea1echute.jpg

Bea Wilcox (1938-2009)

-hh

You gotta love developers and resort owners in countries where they have never been sued. Here, state side, any resort stupid enough to install a floating bar in water deeper than 3' and/or where the main activity is scuba diving is going to find it hard to get any liabilty insurance. Sooner or later someone will die while snorkeling or scuba diving and a high profile court case will follow which may, or may not teach the local resorts a lesson about mixing diving with alcohol.

Sounds like a truly lousy idea to me. Drunks, trash, loud music all intruding on what used to be a great family adventure.

Hmmm, Grenada was really great, maybe we'll start going there more, rather than the Cayman Islands... No drunken sandbar, no dolphin prison, great diving, less crime.....

We love the Cayman Islands, and it saddens us to see this kind of thing take hold.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom