Little Cayman dive operators/resorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chidiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello:
My wife and I are considering a dive trip to Little Cayman in late spring/early summer. Does anyone have any particular recommendations on resorts/operators? I'm more inclined to book packages with 3 tanks per day. Any good shore diving to be done there? Is there a town to speak of, or is most of the socializing/partying done at the respective resort? Thanks for any feedback.

ML

Look in the sub-forum Cayman Islands - ScubaBoard
There's a wealth of trip reports and other information there, spend a few hours reading.
We enjoyed Little Cayman Beach Resort, trip report at
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ca...tle-cayman-beach-resort-11-11-11-19-09-a.html

But really, spend some time reading about multiple people's experience and opinions.
Considering the time and money you're proposing to invest in the trip, it's a small cost and will pay huge dividends in finding what you want and preparation.

I've been to Little Cayman twice and we're going back this May. The first trip we stayed at Pirates Point and the second time we stayed at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. I really liked both places but they are different. Pirates Point is a little smaller but some think it's more homey feeling because it's smaller. The LCBR has the bigger resort feel to it. The people were really nice at both places but when we return we will stay at the LCBR again. I just like the set-up better. Diving is done right from their dock while at PP, you had to load up your stuff each day and drive a short distance to their boat.

The LCBR offers different packages. The one we like includes all meals and three dives a day. So you get in a total of 17 dives in a typical week. No real shore diving from the resorts. The reef is out to far and you usually go around to the other side of the island to dive Bloody Bay Wall anyway. The food there is very good and the rooms were totally redone a year or so ago and they 5* rooms now. Really nice.

It seems if there is any nightlife it's at the resort. Not really much else on the island.

Go! You will really enjoy diving in Little Cayman.

We have been going to Little Cayman Beach Resort since 1996. Each year it always feels like we left home to go home. We love the place and wish we could visit more frequently.
Go! You won't be disappointed in the island, no matter where you stay!

Thanks for the link. I enjoy doing the research and planning for these types of trips, but this year has proved to be more difficult for a variety of reasons. I always try to hit as many of the "checklist" items as possible when I'm choosing a destination, but there are always compromises necessary, so no big deal.

Thanks for your comments. I was also looking into a 3 tank per day package, as I have a feeling I would be jonesing to get back in the water after the 2nd tank. Did they offer any night dives?
Did you feel that you were sort of "stuck" at the resort, as there is not much nightlife on the island? How are the beer/drink prices at the bar? Any little stores on the island (I doubt they're a bargain)?
Have you been to the other [Cayman] islands? Any preferences feedback on Grand or Brac? Thanks in advance.

M

LCBR usually schedules at least one night dive per week, though they still may need a minimum number of people for it to happen. They'll run more if enough people want to do it, though we've found people get really lazy there by the evening and extra night dives often fizzle out. (Not meant as a bad thing, the getting lazy is part of the beauty of the place.) I never feel stuck there, because I like it there. There's actually plenty to do. But mostly I take lots of walks along the beach or other places when I'm not diving/eating/sleeping.

LCBR has a decently stocked little gift shop, the dive shop has the usual tshirts and stuff for sale, and there's a convenience store down the road (some groceries, hardware, whatever.) Don't know what the other resorts have for shops. It's not a shopping island.

Have you been to the other [Cayman] islands? Any preferences feedback on Grand or Brac? Thanks in advance.
M

I've been to all three numerous times although it's been awhile since I stayed on Grand Cayman (I'm staying on GC this year). If you are the type of person that feels closed in on small islands then you might get the feeling on LC or the Brac as there is not much on LC other than the airport and a couple of small dive ops, also some condos and Little Cayman Beach resort (the last place mentioned will keep you in high spirits as they do an excellent job with diving and feeding you).

On the Brac there's plenty of good diving and you would not be dissapointed with some exploration on your part as this island is bigger than little Cayman and has about 1900 residence. The town is on the opposite side from the dive op (just1) currently unless Craig at "In Depth" has survived, then there's two. Reef Divers from Cayman Brac Beach resort would be your choice if you are on the Brac and staying anywhere. If Craig is still alive then he would be a great choice too. This island has caves to explore, a cliff/bluff to climb and a few small shops here and there.

Grand Cayman has quite a business about it, there are many many ops to choose from. The diving isn't as good as the two sisters but it's still great. The north wall is amazing, there is StingRay City as well as other great dive sites. Plenty of places to eat and a large beach to walk on as well as a real town with shops if you like that sort of thing.

High above looking down to the Cayman shallows
File0064.jpg

Off Bloody Bay Wall
File0056.jpg

Hawksbill at the Brac
File0051.jpg

Pederson shrimp on GC
File0043.jpg

Bras south side a good place to see eagle rays
File0040.jpg

night diving on the Cayman Island can be fun
File0023.jpg

Caymaniac - quit taking underwater pics a few years ago, but yours make me want to get back in to it. Yours are awesome!

Following the thread - our group prefers Little Cayman to the other two islands because it is so quaint and removed from the day to day hustle and bustle we have become accustomed to. We also enjoy diving Bloody Bay Wall and the Marine Park for an entire week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom