Sister Island Snorkel Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Testudo

Contributor
Reaction score
Planning trips from GC to explore the Sister Islands. Can anyone suggest some of the better from shore snorkel sites on Little Cayman and the Brac? I have read some of the prior threads about shore dives and plan on checking those spots out for snorkeling, but wondering if there are any other spots that may be good snorkel sites.

I have a list of recommend sites on LC below and any feedback or additions to the list is appreciated, but info on Brac snorkeling seems hard to come by.

Any information like distance from shore, boat needed, general water conditions, what's there, etc..would be appreciated. I am an experienced snorkeler/half-arse free diver, very comfortable in deep water and far from shore sites (provided water conditions are not too bad).

Bloody Bay Wall
Nancy's Cup of Tea
The Meadows
Jackson Reef
Owen Island
Point of Sand
Mary's Channel
Preston Bay

Last edited:
Brac snorkel sites are all over. Great sites on north and south side. South side...Carib Sands dock, easy sandy entry and just hang out under the dock. Barras, nurse sharks, tarpon, rays and numerous reef fish inhabit the area. Next try gov't dock across from the airport. If you like sharks go late in the day, maybe some fisherman will be there cleaning the day's catch. Right in the area of the dock itself, tarpon, barras, lobsters, rock fish and numerous reef fish keep your head on a swivel. Take off west by the turtle grass and by where Reef Divers moor their boats. Great place to spot turtles, larger barras and nurse sharks. Last May we came up on two 6' nurses along with one that had to be 8-9', all in 10-12' of water maybe 50 yds. from shore. There have been other sightings in that area inside the reef of bigger sharks, just ask anyone over at Reef Divers. Public Beach is a nice sight, but the entry is really shallow and hard, and the surf there is usually rocking making entry and exit a little difficult.

North Side...Bucaneer's Cut, easy ladder entry and exit, surf protected "pool" that was carved out sometime ago. Lots of things to see in the "pool" and once you get out. Just check the current and go out against it so you will have no problem coming back. Going either left or right once you leave the "pool" will bring you up on many numerous reef fish, turtle, rays, and occasional sharks. If you are up to a 200 yard swim, the 356 (sunken Russian warship) lays on the sand and is visible from the surface. Just look for the three mooring balls straight out from the exit of the "pool". Scott's Dock is good as long as there are no barges in at the time. Easy in and out here also. Just work the pier itself back and forth for plenty of rays, and reef fish. This is another place the locals come in to clean their catch at the end of the day. I try to get down here around 4 and help them get some blood in the water to try to entice some sharks to come in. I have been told of some large lemons and nurses coming in to sample the scraps. The govt. dock behind the museum is another easy in and out with abundant sea life. Foot's keeps his statues here before the get placed in Atlantis.

My friend, who was here in March, called it the best snorkelling he and his wife have ever done in the Caribbean and they travel extensively.

I would have to concur with his evaluation.

Going Brac myself for our third trip of the year in early July.

I know the areas around The Meadows and Jackson's Reef are very accessible and very close to shore. You will see an amazing amount of life right there on the shallow reef and it's a short swim out to the wall to peek over...

The coral formations off Public beach were good awhile ago but it has been a couple of years since I snorkelled there. On the north side, behind the Cotton Tree Chuch of God, the formations there where also very good. To get in here, you can park at the church and walk the shoreline east for a few hundred yards, you will see an old, beaten up small boat launch. Entry and exit is not that difficult. This is one of my favorite spots to snorkel. I snorkel with my 11 year old daughter and because of this I am always mindful of ease of entry and exit as I want to make it easier on her.

Ask any of the locals at the Tipsy Turtle for more sites. They will be more than happy to oblige. Have fun.

This should help too...also search my posts where I provided a partial update to this...I still haven't gotten around to revising the webpage!

Cayman Brac Shore Diving

BTW, as a slight update to this, "Handcuff" (aka Panama Canal) has freshwater showers and a nice ladder for exit - - for the dive itself, head out and then on roughly a 30 degree angle to the right. Before entry, watch for fishermen who may be working hand lines ... and don't tick them off: they're not fishing recreationally, but to literally put food on their tables.

-hh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom