"Did you know" ... that Grand Cayman has awesome shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sunset_House

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Sunset House, along with other fine dive establishments on island have banded together to give visiting divers a discount on their great shore diving product. With easy entry points, a place to park vehicles, change and in most places get something to eat and drink after your dive, or inbetween those surface intervals.

Grand Cayman Shore Diving Coupon

Just print off and visit any of these establisments from now until April 30th, 2011 to receive disounts!

shore3.jpg

Last edited:
Ah yes,shore diving at Sunset House.

I remember you refusing to allow me to access the water in my doubles, even though I offered to pay for a tank I would not use.

Apparently you do not allow outside tanks due to "insurance reasons"

And why do you not use standard size tanks?

/Rant Off :wink:

It's ok Ian, I was told I couldn't dive CCR either by 3 different shops for similar reasons on one of my trips there. :idk:

There are some great shore diving spots, but some of the places get awfully restrictive if you want to do anything other than single aluminum tank diving.

There are some great shore diving spots, but some of the places get awfully restrictive if you want to do anything other than single aluminum tank diving.

Yeah I know.

A cynical person might think some Dive Establishments are more interested in extracting $$$ from Cruise Ship passengers than catering to divers.................

And who the heck uses Al 72s anyway ?

Yeah I know.

A cynical person might think some Dive Establishments are more interested in extracting $$$ from Cruise Ship passengers than catering to divers.................

And who the heck uses Al 72s anyway ?

In fairness I don't believe it's all the Dive Ops doing. I think it's some of the foolishness from the CIWSA and the way they write and enforce the rules for recreational diving.

And why do you not use standard size tanks?

Now I remember the reason I passed on Sunset House!

What about Dive Tech (the OP)? They rent doubles, rebreathers, have 100% and Trimix...... Do people have problems shore diving when using their gear?

Divetech. Awesome.

They do have a "No outside tanks" sign at Cobalt Coast (and probably Lighthouse Point as well)
Suspect locals could work something out with them? (No one is going to carry doubles to Cayman).

Now I remember the reason I passed on Sunset House!

What about Dive Tech (the OP)? They rent doubles, rebreathers, have 100% and Trimix...... Do people have problems shore diving when using their gear?

Dive Tech is great and has some fantastic shore diving at both of their locations. However there are many other places that are shore accessible with great wall dives as well. I've been frustrated on more than one occasion that certain locations would not allow me to rent two tanks so I could sling one, or dive CCR, or imposed some other restriction.

That may be so,but who makes up the CIWSA?

AFAIK, it's a government agency that sets the rules by which the water sports operators must abide. I believe it falls under the Dept. of Tourism, but could be mistaken.

I was thinking about going to Cayman next month, by myself. Does anyone know if there are any issues with solo shore diving?

Back
Top Bottom