Cozumel/Little Cayman/Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DStack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I take a nice dive trip every September for our anniversary. To date we have dove Maui, Cozumel (twice) and a quick 4 day trip to Key Largo. Our typical trip involves renting a nice condo and doing our diving through a dive op after much research on this board.

The last two years we have been to Cozumel and LOVE it there. We enjoy the dive service we get there and the condo we stay at is close enough to walk into town and enjoy the many resturants.

I would like to try a new spot this year, and after reading this board, it sounds like the best diving is on Little Cayman which seems to be mostly resort style accomodations and on property dinning. In order to vacation the way we are most used to, we would need to dive off Grand Cayman.

Looking for advice on wether or not diving the Caymans is that much better/different from Cozumel.

I should also add that my wife has a dairy allergy, so the food aspect of where we go has a HUGE impact.

Dstack,

I can't comment on the dairy allergies. Luckily, I have never had to concern myself with them. I can comment on the diving and costs though.

Little Cayman has the best diving, and is the most expensive. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are tied for 2nd and 3rd diving wise. Grand Cayman is the 2nd most expensive and Cozumel is the least.

If you go to GC or LC, take a cooler. I always do. It checks just as easy as a regular piece of luggage. Put in there what you need, or are afraid you can't get down there. I don't know about the other airlines, but AA still allows 2 free checked bags PP when traveling outside the states.

Tad

Be careful on the baggage limits going to LC though. From GC to LC, the limit is one 55# bag each and a 15# carryon. $0.25 per pound over.

Little Cayman Beach Resort never disappoints. The chefs are willing to accommodate guests with food allergies or special needs. One of the ladies in our group last year was gluten free, and the chefs were able to accommodate her needs.

With the somewhat limited baggage allowance for Little Cayman--55 lbs plus 15 lb carry on--is the dress code at Little Cayman Beach Resort fairly casual including dinner?

Is mid-December a reasonably good time to be there such as December 10-17 just before the winter rates kick in?

Dress is extremely casual. T-shirts are the norm.

Yes, December is a fairly good time to go. The weather in December is always a surprise. No way to know what you are going to get very far in advance.

Of course almost every month can have weather issues, excepting April and May for the most part.

Normally it is fairly warm, but last December was cold in my opinion. Water temps about 77.

You get your fair share of fronts passing through which bring wind and can make getting to the north side problematic. Diving on the south side is fine, it is just not the famed Bloody Bay Wall Marine Park.

We have been for the last several years and enjoy that time of year.

Little Cayman Beach Resort never disappoints. The chefs are willing to accommodate guests with food allergies or special needs. One of the ladies in our group last year was gluten free, and the chefs were able to accommodate her needs.

Couldn't agree more! Everything about the Little Cayman Beach Resort is first class. Rooms, food, diving, and staff just can't be beat. It may be more expensive but you get what you pay for. You won't be disappointed I promise.

I like Little Cayman as there isn't anything pressing to do, just relax, dive, eat, sleep.

I havent been to LC yet, but I loved GC. The diving is great, and the shopping is great too if you are into that. You can either stay at the east end and "be away from it all", or stay on 7-mile beach and be in the heart of everything.

Only issue, but it applies to everyplace you mentioned. September is still in the storm season. I lost an entire week of diving last year because of a tropical storm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom