need shore dive info for Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are going to be in GC for a day on a cruise ship, and would like to do some diving, but all the boats seem unable to take us as we arrive so late in the Morning. We are now considering doing some shore dives, two tanks in same area if possable. Does anyone have any suggestions for GOOD shore dives.
My wife is new and likes to stay above 70 feet.

Turn right out of the cruise ship terminal and walk a short distance toward the bright blue building... ...Eden Rock. You can see it from the ferry too. A bit farther down the road is Sunset House.....possibly a taxi for this one with gear and all. Both ops have decent shore diving on the premises.

Whats the diving like at sunset house, compared to Eden Rock?

I know I've sent out links for GC shore dives a few times. You might run a search. Also, the dive center next to the south terminal has access to some great dives (devil's grotto, eden rock, paradise reef). I can't remember which of the shops right there has $7US tank rentals with $5.50 refills. ...cheapest diving on the island and a great shallow dive if you can't make it out for a boat dive.

If things change with your schedule, check out Neptune's Divers @ http://www.neptunesdivers.com. Keith and Casey are regulars here on the board and the best DM/boat captain team around.

Simple rule; The further from the cruise dock, the healthier the coral. It's an over-generalization, but fairly good rule of thumb.

Sunset House features a small wreck of a landing craft and also the statute of the mermaid Amphertite. The wall drop off begins at about 60ft, so you can swim out to the edge within your depth limit.

I did two shore dives at Eden Rock last August, on two different days. On the day that the cruise ships filled the port, it was INCREDIBLY crowded at Eden Rock, both on the shore and in the water. There was very little room to even gear up on shore, and the water was absolutely full of divers and snorkelers. On the non-cruise ship day, it was much, much better. The reef was nice, but, as Drew Sailbum noted, the reefs were much better at the other locations we dove during the week.

I did not get a chance to dive at Sunset House, but we did go by there for lunch on our flight out day. They have a neat outdoor bar / restaurant where the food was very good and the drinks were very cold. Spoke with several divers there, and they were very happy with the diving there. It seems to be setup just for divers. Also, Cathy Church has her underwater studio on premises.

Next trip, I will do one of my shore dives there.

I have heard that the shore dive off of the Seaview Hotel is pretty good. I plan to try that shore dive in December. The food at The Naked Fish is excellent.

I did enjoy a shore dive from Seaview, so you couldn't go wrong there. I have also been to the bar a few times.

:D

rjdiver once bubbled...
The food at The Naked Fish is excellent.

It's one of my favorite lunch spots. Absolutely superb, with a creative menu complete with various fresh catch dishes.

And, if I'm not mistaken, Seaview has that "Dive & Lunch" special? One price includes your tank and lunch after.
Diverrick, I know that we've been in contact on trying to get you a boat trip... that 9:30 arrival time is tough! Makes me wonder if the cruise lines are trying to make sure that you have to book your excursions through them rather than independently? An afternoon trip would work out just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom