What's the job situation like for dive pros in the Cayman Islands right now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to do a divemaster course, followed likely soon after by instructor training this coming summer or fall, and one of the locations I'm considering for my training is Grand Cayman. I'm just wondering how easy/hard it is to get a job as a newly certed DM or OWSI. If I do my training there, will I be able to get a job there or will I have to look elsewhere? I've read online that the government wants hiring preference giving to the locals, which makes sense to me, but is there enough jobs available to make it a decent possibility for foreigners?
Thanks in advance

The chances of getting a job on Grand Cayman as a DM are slim to none and slim couldn't get his work permit renewed. Instructor jobs are available from time-to-time.

Yes, no one hires DMs; you need an Instructor Cert at a minimum.

The good news: although Caymanians must be given preference in hiring, they rarely show an interest in the dive industry so your chances of getting a job are actually pretty good.

The bad news: the reason Caymanians are not interested is that the salaries are so low it is hard to survive here on what is paid.

The bad news: the reason Caymanians are not interested is that the salaries are so low it is hard to survive here on what is paid.

From what I've read here on SB, that seems to be the situation in a lot of places. Good to know, though.

Dive instructors in Cayman are 95% or more expats. There are a few Caymanians... very few. Red Sail has occasionally hired DMs.

Tourism season starts in mid November. It takes a little lead time to arrange a work permit and a bit of orientation/training time once you arrive. August and September job seekers would have enough time to arrive and be ready ahead of peak season.

oreocookie,

If I read your profile correctly you have less than 100 dives. I would think you need a lot more diving experience to work as a DM or instructor. The DM's and instructors I have encountered on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac all seem to have hundreds and thousands of dives.

Not to discourage you from entering the profession, you might want to concentrate on logging a lot of dives in the near future.

I am from the USA and I have noticed that there are quite a few DM's and instructors from Canada. I think it might be easier to get work being from Canada than the USA. Also, many are from England, Scotland, South Africa and all other parts of the world. I think Cayman is quite a nice place to work in the diving industry.

If I read your profile correctly you have less than 100 dives. I would think you need a lot more diving experience to work as a DM or instructor. The DM's and instructors I have encountered on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac all seem to have hundreds and thousands of dives.

Not to discourage you from entering the profession, you might want to concentrate on logging a lot of dives in the near future.

Point taken, and I intend to at least try to do that. The plan is to be in the 3 digits before starting DM. I'm also looking for a longer DM internship to get in more dives and more work experience before looking for employment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom