Which wetsuit in the Caymans in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hintermann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to the Cayman Islands in January 2014 - a week of liveaboard diving on the Aggressor followed by 8 more dives over 3 days at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. Do I need to pack my 5mm full suit or can I get away with the 2.5mm shorty? I am about average in feeling the cold while diving.

Of course, it depends upon the individual, but I would not recommend a shorty. In January, I wear a 3mm full suit plus a 3mm hooded vest. The 3mm full is an old any very stretched out hyperstretch.

I was there once in January and alternated between a 3mm full with 3/5 hooded vest and a 5mm full with the same hooded vest.

Water temps will be somewhere between 76 and 80 Fahrenheit depending on the site and the depth. Personally, I rarely wear thermal protection when diving in the Cayman Islands, but you'll be spending a lot of time in the water. I would pack both if I was you.

Have fun!

I would bring the 5m. You can always unzip the suit a little if you get hot. You can do a lot of dives on a live aboard and that will slowly lower your tolerance to cold.

Another factor that affects me big time is the air temperature. January out on the water in the Caribbean with the ocean breezes will be comfortable, but definitely not hot. Air temps probably in the 70's maybe low 80's in the afternoons. I can tolerate colder water if I am feeling hot topside.

Thanks people. Billinwilliamston's post made me realise something that I had forgotten. Flying from the UK to the USA (Miami) and connecting to Caymans all on an American Airlines ticket, I can check-in 2 bags of around 23Kg each. There will be a small additional charge for the second bag but this is a fixed rate and quite reasonable. That means I can pack BOTH wetsuits.

I only own a 2.5mm shorty and 5mm full suit. There is a very old 3mm full suit, but this is too small for me now.

For me, anything at or above 78 is skin temperature. I am good in a 3 mm down to around 68.

My wife dive a 3 in warm water and a 5 in anything on the cool side , that being below 80.

People are quite different in their thermal protection needs. My wife is a better diver then I am so my need for less is not a skill thing.

Something I have found is that doing 4 or more dives per day can up the thermal protection needed. Since you are doing a liveaboard, you might well be in this situation. Being in water for extended periods of time can leach heat out of your body. Being uncomfortably cold is very unpleasant. So you might want to err on the warm side.

Not in the Caymans but I was cold in Turks and Caicos with a Thermoprene explorer suit and 3mm rental over top. This time over Christmas I'm taking my 7mm and the Thermoprene. I burned a LOT of air trying to stay warm. Overkill? Maybe but I'm not going to freeze my you-know-what off again.

Thanks people. Billinwilliamston's post made me realise something that I had forgotten. Flying from the UK to the USA (Miami) and connecting to Caymans all on an American Airlines ticket, I can check-in 2 bags of around 23Kg each. There will be a small additional charge for the second bag but this is a fixed rate and quite reasonable. That means I can pack BOTH wetsuits.
Since you're adding on Little Cayman, do keep in mind the limits on the Cayman Air flights to/from Little Cayman are less. So you might not want to go crazy with the packing. They don't always charge, but often do. More importantly, there's some possibility some baggage being delayed if they're too full. They're quite good about dealing with it, but it's still nicer if it doesn't happen.

When traveling to Cayman Brac or Little Cayman via the Twin Otter Service; Baggage allowance is 55 lbs per person (combined weight of up to 2 pieces) and only one 15 lb carry-on, any excess will be charged US$0.50 per pound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom