Where to stay and dive on Cayman Brac or Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like Cayman Brac is more affordable, I saw a post that sugested where NOT to stay on Caymen Brac...what are the GOOD and affordable experiences. Where can I shore dive? Is some part of either island preferable for shore diving? What dive boat operators have you had good experinces with??

Ocean Frontiers on the east end of Grand Cayman runs a very good operation and the boats are excellent for diving. They have a great package with the Reef Resort.

cougar:
Looks like Cayman Brac is more affordable, I saw a post that sugested where NOT to stay on Caymen Brac...what are the GOOD and affordable experiences. Where can I shore dive? Is some part of either island preferable for shore diving? What dive boat operators have you had good experinces with??

cougar:

I've been going to the Brac since 1988, and what some people say on this board isn't the norm. I've stayed at a number of places, you can rent homes there. I now stay mostly in the condos at the Divi. I've have recently stayed at the hotel portion of the Divi and I've always had good service. The Brac Reef has been a nice place to stay, I prefer the Divi. There are two other condo units to stay at as well as the one I try to get. One is the Seagull condos, the other I forget the name. The Brac used to be great shore diving on the south west side ( this is where the Divi and the Brac Reef are ) but since they put a channel in front of it you cannot dive there any more.
There is good shore diving on the north west shore but you'll need to rent a vehicle to do it.
I've had better experiences with the DMs at the Divi and the boats at the Divi, at the Brac Reef the DMs are okay but the boat has been a problem for years. The Brac Reef will not take you to Little Cayman as often either, sometimes (most recently) with the Divi we could go every day if we chose to do so. Its a 30-45min. ride to Little Cayman.
On GC, I've stayed at the Treasure Island, the Cayman Islander, the Holiday Inn, the Ambassador House, several condos near the Hyatt, Plantation Village, the Tortuga Club. My wife prefers anything on 7mile beach, for a few days then after that we desire a more quiet setting, like the Brac or Little Cayman.
I haven't gone to the Caymans every year but at least every other. There are allot of places to shore dive on GC.

Hope this helps,
Caymaniac

Re: Cayman Brac - my new wife and I just returned from 10 days there (honeymoon) and it was wonderful. The diving was spectacular. We dove with Reef Divers (one of two dive operations on the island). They were excellent - very professional and customer-oriented. Shore diving is possible all over the island, except that the somewhat rocky bottom can be tricky to navigate from some places. I think the south shore (there are a few public beach/access points) would be preferable to the north shore for shore diving. The water tends to be rougher on the north side.

Cayman Brac is a very small, quiet island with only a few restaurants. However, the scenery is magnificent, the snorkeling and diving is world class, the food is great and the people are warm and friendly. We stayed on the north shore at a house called the Lankford House, owned by two Americans who now teach school on Grand Cayman. The rates were extremely reasonable and it was totally private and comfortable. I would be happy to send you (or anyone) their contact information - the house is immaculate, right on the water (I mean RIGHT ON THE WATER) and has everything you need to enjoy your stay there.

Cayman Brac is very hospitable so long as you are not looking for a ton of shopping, movies, etc. They have cable/satellite TV and a few bars but that's about it. If you are looking for a quiet relaxing time, then I highly recommend Cayman Brac. If you want a tourist destination, then I would suggest another place!

cougar:

I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with Divi on Brac, and with The Cayman Diving Lodge on GC. PM me for details. I'm planning on diving with Ocean Frontiers and staying a on the east end within the next few months. I'll post a trip report about that.

Good luck!

Colin Berry

aspreston2004:
Re: Cayman Brac - my new wife and I just returned from 10 days there (honeymoon) and it was wonderful. The diving was spectacular. We dove with Reef Divers (one of two dive operations on the island). They were excellent - very professional and customer-oriented. Shore diving is possible all over the island, except that the somewhat rocky bottom can be tricky to navigate from some places. I think the south shore (there are a few public beach/access points) would be preferable to the north shore for shore diving. The water tends to be rougher on the north side.

Cayman Brac is a very small, quiet island with only a few restaurants. However, the scenery is magnificent, the snorkeling and diving is world class, the food is great and the people are warm and friendly. We stayed on the north shore at a house called the Lankford House, owned by two Americans who now teach school on Grand Cayman. The rates were extremely reasonable and it was totally private and comfortable. I would be happy to send you (or anyone) their contact information - the house is immaculate, right on the water (I mean RIGHT ON THE WATER) and has everything you need to enjoy your stay there.

Cayman Brac is very hospitable so long as you are not looking for a ton of shopping, movies, etc. They have cable/satellite TV and a few bars but that's about it. If you are looking for a quiet relaxing time, then I highly recommend Cayman Brac. If you want a tourist destination, then I would suggest another place!

Welcome to Scubaboard!

cougar:

The Brac was fun. We rented a house called Turtle Crossing. Highly recommended. The diving around the Brac was good. The diving around Little Cayman was excellent and on a par with the best in the Caribbean. We dove with Divi and Brac Reef and had good experiences with both. If you happen to hit the island when they are not booked to the gills you will have a fabulous experience. If you hit them when they are packed with divers the quality of the diving will go down. We didn't do any shore diving so I can't help you there. Nothing against the Brac but having stayed on both of the sister islands I would go back to Little cayman before returning to the Brac. The diving is better and closer by far.

Please let me know how your trip goes and while you are there could you see about some info on an underwater scuba wedding? Thanks so much . Theresa

We are looking at tgetting married in the Caymans. Would you please let me know how your trip goes and if you get any ideas for us while you are there , such as reasonable accomodations, underwaterr ceremony info. Photographer, videographer and a dive charter that would be reasonable and knows and underwater minister. I would appriciate it. Thank you. Theresa

We are looking at tgetting married in the Caymans. Would you please let me know how your trip goes and if you get any ideas for us while you are there , such as reasonable accomodations, underwaterr ceremony info. Photographer, videographer and a dive charter that would be reasonable and knows and underwater minister. I would appriciate it. Thank you. Theresa

Theresa,

You are responding to a post from 2004. I suspect they made their trip back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom