First time diving in Grand Cayman!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opaque

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be heading to Grand Cayman in July for a few days, but I just wanted your opinions on my selection of dives.

I plan on doing two 2-tank dives and maybe a 1-tank dive if it is worth it.
1. USS Kittiwake and Oro Verde
2. Eden rock and Devil’s grotto
3. Stingray city (is snorkeling enough?)

What are your recommendations on dive companies? I was thinking of going with either Off the wall, neptune diver's, or deep blue divers for the 1st dive.
For the second dive, I was just going to go with EdenRock diving unless anyone else has any suggestions.
For the third dive, I don't know who I would dive with or snorkel with. Is captain marvin's a good snorkeling guide?

Any other 2-tank dives that people would suggest that differ from the dives I've already planned? I prefer diving not any deeper than 60 feet.

Any of the three dive ops will treat you well. I have tons of personal experience with Neptune's Divers and have heard good things about the others.

If you're diving Eden Rock, using Eden Rock makes sense.

Stingray City is fun snorkeling or diving. If you dive SRC, add a bit extra weight to help keep you down and planted in the shallows.

Deep Blue's first dive of the day is usually 80-100 ft. I believe that may be standard for most dive ops in GC. If you are not comfortable at those depths make sure you let your DM know. Kittiwake is shallow so it's the second dive most times. If you are diving with an op they will pick the sites but you can request a particular location.

Stingray city (is snorkeling enough?)

I was thinking of going with either Off the wall, neptune diver's, or deep blue divers for the 1st dive.
For the second dive, I was just going to go with EdenRock diving unless anyone else has any suggestions.
For the third dive, I don't know who I would dive with or snorkel with. Is captain marvin's a good snorkeling guide?

Snorkeling is okay, I prefer to dive, Captain Marvin is good.
Of the three dive op's you mention, I've dove with Off the Wall and Neptune, both are good.
Any Northwall is my favorite on GC.

As a new diver, you will find the diving on GC to be comfortable, even the wall dives. The water is clear, warm and calm and 70 or 80 feet really does not feel any different than 60. There is lot's to see on the wall, however, at 50-60 if you do not feel comfortable with going deeper. All the dive ops you have listed are good, in fact all the dive ops on GC are good as they all adhere to Cayman Watersports Association rules. I would dive at Stingray City, it's an incredible experience first time around and the dive is IMO, much better than just snorkelling at the sandbar.

I find Happy Fish Divers to be a patricularly good op for newbies, they do classes and guided dives at Turtle Reef, which is a better shore dive site than Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto.

Skip the Oro Verde completely. Not much left of it.

In July the Silversides will be in Devil's Grotto. It turns that dive from an average swim-thru dive to one of the best on Cayman. Sort of like this:

[video=vimeo;69518760]http://vimeo.com/69518760[/video]

Eden Rock will pale by comparison so I'd do both dives there instead. Although they're pretty close so you could start at Eden Rock on your 2nd dive before heading back over to DG...:wink:

Check the Cruise Schedule for the best day. The port is walking distance so that area will be very congested when the ships are in. They all tender back to their ship(s) and sail around 5 so later afternoon is better. If you're going over a long weekend, IIRC cruise traffic is minimal/non-existent Sat/Sun.

Sunset House is also a possibility for a 2nd dive - just a few minutes south of there. Sunset House Easy entry, fairly shallow, there's both the Amphitrite Mermaid statue (50') and a landing craft wreck (60') plus the reef is decent there. And My Bar is the diver's hangout. Also visit the Cathy Church Photo facility/gallery there.

The Oro Verde has been hit by at least 3 hurricanes since it went down. A lot of it is just scrap metal laying around. I agree with the previous poster - wouldn't be on my list. Video here: http://idiveglobal.com/locations/oro-verde-stern/

Since the Kittiwake was dive prepped, it would be a good wreck for a newer diver. As an OW newer diver, you can dive decks 1-3 with your DM - one required for every 8 divers. Most of the operators have appointment times pre-scheduled so personally I'd do two wall/reef dives in the morning then find someone with an afternoon time slot. It's not a very deep dive, the ship was deliberately sunk so that even snorkelers have access to the top decks.

Turtle Reef is also a good suggestion, it's shallow, easy entry and there will be a large school of Tarpon hovering in the shadows south of the entry cove in really shallow water. I first saw them in 2003, they're still there. Also the namesake turtles will be found on the bottom and swimming overhead - the turtle farm where most of them were released/escaped from is nearby. Nice steps into the water there also - check out the Cracked Conch website - there's info on Sundivers on-site, entry and cove photos. (in the home page header pictures) One even shows the ball marking the start of the reef - it's close - I'd say 40 yds. or less.

Last edited:
Dive Sting Ray City, I snorkeled it and it was OK, but some of the others in my group did the dive and it is much better.

Sunset House, the weather had kicked up while we were there and the shore diving from there didn't happen so I can't speak to that. I do however give a giant thumbs up to Cathy Church's shop that is located there. Also +1 on My Bar.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! Devil's Grotto sure looks amazing with all that fish and I'll be sure to skip oro verde since it seems to be all beaten up and the USS Kittiwake is the new popular thing.

Turtle reef seems like an option so I'll look into that.

How could I forget? Kittwake +!

In my opinion, the shore dive at Sunset does not compare to Turtle Reef. I only dive it when turtle reef is blown out. Turtle Reef is my personal favorite shore dive on GC.
If there are silversides, Devil's Grotto becomes a much better dive than otherwise. I tend not to dive there as there seem to be a lot of cruise ship turkey divers on site because it is so close to Georgetown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom