What's your latest departure story from GCM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

releck97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The last thread on this subject has been archived, but the gist of it was that wait times at the airport had gotten quite ridiculous last spring during the peak early/mid afternoon departure times. Our flight is scheduled to leave GCM at 2:45 on a Saturday afternoon in April. We're not flying Cayman Airways, so we cannot drop off our bags early. How long is it taking to get through security and immigration these days? Thanks!

Last edited:
We were there in December and left for home on a sunday flight time about 3 PM. Check in with air canada took about 1/2 hour. Going through immigration and security took another 1 1/2 hours. Then there were no seats in the lounge. Leave yourself lots of time!!
On the way in, it took an hour for immigration and then another 1/2 hour in line to have our bags checked by the customs agent.

The airport services are way too limited for the number of visitors. It used to be quick.

Left today. Had a 1:45 United flight. I was flagged SSSS so could not pre-print my boarding pass and had to get in the kiosk line; so we arrived ~2.5 hours prior to departure, since my wife waited for 45 minutes in the same situation in January. Wife went up to the Hungry Horse to wait for me. The United kiosk line moved quickly, had my boarding pass in 10 minutes and spied the security line on my way up to the HH. The line was just backing out of the screening room, but was moving. Had drinks and some lunch at the newly expanded Hungry Horse - doubled the outside seating area with a tent and a temporary bar.

45 minutes before departure we went to security, there were maybe 12 people stationary in line, but it was moving fast. Being SSSS, I was waived to the front and bypassed the line. After the bag search it took maybe all of 10 minutes to move onto immigration. Well there was a long line here, stretching all the way back to the X-ray screening areas. Luckily most US flights are now pre-cleared and we simply walked through the outside line you normally take for Sister Islands flights. No one was advising passengers of this, but we knew the new routine from a trip last month and asked an agent just to be sure. The gate agents now collect your tourist card when boarding.

The departure lounge was packed and we could not snag a seat. Somehow boarding was a breeze, if not disorganized. Once though the gate there was chaos as 3 flights were simultaneously boarding and three were deplaning. Throngs of people not sure which route to follow to get on their plane or make their way to immigration, utter nonsense. Worst we have seen that portion of the process.

I think it is way past time for an update to the departure terminal. Sadly, it is the last memory many have of Cayman and is not at all pleasant.

We am flying in Thurs on Delta from Atl to GCM. Then taking Cayman Air to Brac.

We leave the flowing Thurs at 7am on Cayman Air from Brac to GCM arriving at 7:30am. Then we leave at 1:40pm back to ATL on Delta.

We were thinking about leaving the airport Thurs and checking out GCM since we had a 6hr layover but after reading everything above. Could you you guys give me some advice about leaving the airport or not and if so when to get back?

Thanks

We have had nothing but positive experiences both in arriving and leaving GCM. The wait times have been what we consider to be very reasonable. Maybe it's just the time of year we go mainly in May or Sept-Oct.

We arrive at the airport 2-2 1/2 hrs early and have never spent more than 30-45 minutes getting our boarding passes and going through security which gives us time to eat something and shop a little.

We am flying in Thurs on Delta from Atl to GCM. Then taking Cayman Air to Brac.

We leave the flowing Thurs at 7am on Cayman Air from Brac to GCM arriving at 7:30am. Then we leave at 1:40pm back to ATL on Delta.

We were thinking about leaving the airport Thurs and checking out GCM since we had a 6hr layover but after reading everything above. Could you you guys give me some advice about leaving the airport or not and if so when to get back?

Thanks

I am not sure about Delta, but we had the same plan when flying United and facing a long layover in GCM. The only problem was that United's counter agents don't show up until about 2 hours before the flight is scheduled to depart. So there is no way to check your bags before heading out to explore GCM. If you travel very light, I suppose you could just take the bags with you, but we had diver gear and photo gear and didn't want to drag it around with us.

I think the weekend afternoons are worse than weekdays.
The airport may be crowded and service slow, but not much different in most of the other Caribbean islands that I have visited.
I would not opt out of a trip to GC just because of the airport issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom