Kittiwake Dive at Sunset on a Sat. - Any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We may be heading down to GC in May and was interested to see if there are any dive operators who will do either a late afternoon or sunset/night dive on a Saturday. I have been on the KW once before but I would like to dive it at sunset, but late afternoon would work as well. We will likely be staying at OF and doing a two tank in the AM with them. Any recommendations? Thanks.

We may be heading down to GC in May and was interested to see if there are any dive operators who will do either a late afternoon or sunset/night dive on a Saturday. I have been on the KW once before but I would like to dive it at sunset, but late afternoon would work as well. We will likely be staying at OF and doing a two tank in the AM with them. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Check with Freddie at Epic Divers. He's very flexible and like most on the island, has a superb operation. I think it really depends on the number of divers in your party. He's putting together a KW dive for us next month.

Seems a waste of time to me. Not sure what the attraction of KW is at dusk. The site is only so so in the day time. If you want to do a late afternoon or sunset dive, why not head up to Turtle Reef. Olin will be happy to leave air or Nitrox tanks out if you have a tab there, and you can just leave them next to the shop door after the dive.

Can you provide any more info on Epic Divers? Their website tells you next to nothing. Where are they located? Thanks.

Can you provide any more info on Epic Divers? Their website tells you next to nothing. Where are they located? Thanks.
I agree about their website. Check out their facebook page. It seems to me that businesses concentrate on facebook more and more each week. They go out of West Bay Dock. We used them for SRC last year, so we hooked up with the boat in Governor's Creek (I think). We will be using them in a few weeks for an afternoon wall/Kittiwake dive. I will report back after the dive. As for the SRC dive, Freddy and Jaxx took amazing care of our two families and customized the trip exactly as we wanted it. We went out when it was convenient for us and had no other boats at SRC. We were down for over an hour with Jaxx while Freddy did a resort course with the wife of my buddy. We then shot over to Kaibo for lunch. I asked Freddy to have some Ironshore Bock onboard and they were chilled and ready for us after the dive. Of course, Jaxx took care of our equipment and catered to us the entire time. From what I have read on SB and what I have experienced with OF, this is not uncommon customer service on GC. Their boat is newer and is an awesome platform for diving. Epic Divers is one of the newer operators on the island so they're not as well known. I am sure other operators offer similar services. I can only comment on my own experiences. I have used Don Foster's in the distant past and although they are a cattle boat operator, they do a great job as well. We were going to go with Sunset House last year on an afternoon KW dive, but they ended up not having room for us (their on site customers have first dibs). Regardless, I think you will have an awesome experience no matter who you go out with. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Hey Releck97, thank you for taking the time to reply and for the additional info. I have been diving GC since the late 70s, starting as a teen. I have never done the SRC thing but have fond memories of heading out from what must now be the Governor's Creek area on a small wooden boat by a local with the last name Ebanks and heading out to just inside the outer reef where we would snorkel, pick up live conch, bring them on board and eat them on the boat raw with hot sauce and crackers and then return to snorkeling and spear lobster or fish to be cooked later. This was in a by gone time. I also remember the landing craft dive boat run by what I recall to be Bot Soto's where they would pick you up on SMB with what was literally an old WWII landing craft converted to a dive boat. Back then the Oro Verde wreck was fully intact with the ability to dive the wreck and enter the bridge and other parts of the wreck. Now I understand it is just strewn debris. After the cattle boat experience on a landing craft, even as I teen I learned that there were better experiences to be had. I found Capt Butch and Seasports who had a six pack boat and dove with you at sites he liked. Fantastic dive memories from those trips. He always had a cooler of small Tuborg beers in the boat, to be shared with all between dives. Hope you enjoy your trip and look forward to hearing how you enjoyed. TK

I agree about their website. Check out their facebook page. It seems to me that businesses concentrate on facebook more and more each week. They go out of West Bay Dock. We used them for SRC last year, so we hooked up with the boat in Governor's Creek (I think). We will be using them in a few weeks for an afternoon wall/Kittiwake dive. I will report back after the dive. As for the SRC dive, Freddy and Jaxx took amazing care of our two families and customized the trip exactly as we wanted it. We went out when it was convenient for us and had no other boats at SRC. We were down for over an hour with Jaxx while Freddy did a resort course with the wife of my buddy. We then shot over to Kaibo for lunch. I asked Freddy to have some Ironshore Bock onboard and they were chilled and ready for us after the dive. Of course, Jaxx took care of our equipment and catered to us the entire time. From what I have read on SB and what I have experienced with OF, this is not uncommon customer service on GC. Their boat is newer and is an awesome platform for diving. Epic Divers is one of the newer operators on the island so they're not as well known. I am sure other operators offer similar services. I can only comment on my own experiences. I have used Don Foster's in the distant past and although they are a cattle boat operator, they do a great job as well. We were going to go with Sunset House last year on an afternoon KW dive, but they ended up not having room for us (their on site customers have first dibs). Regardless, I think you will have an awesome experience no matter who you go out with. Enjoy!

+1 for Epic Divers. Did my Rescue with them. Jaxx and Freddy are extremely flexible. They're very good with email:

freddy@epicdivers.com

Jaxx@epicdivers.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Tkaelin,
The North Sound Captain was Solomon Ebanks. He had a fishingl boat with an outboard and took out small groups for the day snorkeling, fishing, and shore lunch at Rum Point. There was a thatched roof bar there at the time. Solly would ogle and maul all the girls and also drink an entire case of beer by 2 PM.
He knew the north sound amazingly well and seemed to know exactly where every coral head was that had a lobster holed up.
His marinated conch was fantastic as was his Cayman style fish stew.
He held my wife by the hand on her first time snorkeling and even took us to a spot where he knew there was often a lemon shark.

Snorkeling with Sollie on the North Sound was what stimulated my entire family to get into scuba.
We went out with Sollie every time we were down in GC and then with his son Mitchell after he died.
Sollie used to hang out at the bar at the Beach Club in the evenings.
I saw his old boat tied up at the pier at Morgan's Harbor a few years ago, don't know who uses it now.

The Landing Craft was the original Holiday Diver. Last time I saw her was at the Lobster Pot dock about 15 years ago. She was sitting on the bottom and the deck was awash.

In her day, the idea of beach pick up and drop off was novel. Standing on the beach waiting to go diving, and seeing that ramp coming down was a thrill in itself.

Cayman has changed a lot over the years, not necessarily for the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom