This kinda disturbs me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

releck97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As I was doing a google search, I came across this site: Cayman Islands Diving ? View forum - Cayman Islands Diving They claim to be the only unbiased and un-edited site regarding Cayman Islands diving on the interwebs and also claim that the majority of the reviews on Tripadvisor and ScubaBoard are fake and written by the respective owners. I found it interesting that the VAST majority of the posts on the site (expecially the bad reviews) were written by folks who have only written a single post. There is definitely a positive bias towards some operators and then a very negative bias towards others (Ocean Frontiers and DiveTech in particular). Does anyone here have any knowledge of this board? I haven't joined and am not interested in getting involved in the fray. What disturbs me the most is the fact that I have seen many very honest and pointed discussions and reviews on SB and have never doubted the integrity of the posters here. I also run a small business in the U.S. and have never wrote, nor have I ever had anyone write a bogus review of my business on TripAdvisor or any other site. I trust TripAdvisor for my own trips and have written many reviews myself. I believe that this bashing is totally un-warranted, dishonest and an attempt to do exactly what they are claiming is going on elsewhere.

Your thoughts?

Well, their forum doesn’t seem to be completely unbiased.

One poster wrote:
I know for an absolute fact that many of the rave reviews for dive companies on Trip Advisor and Scuba Board, plus a lot of others, are written by the same people that own the companies, their friends, family, all that, like that JJ Diver guy that got busted here. Scuba Board edits ALL of their posts because they are being sued for millions of dollars, for running a moderated board. I think that's the big difference here. The board is not moderated to they don't have the liability issues, and apparently no financial incentive to skew the reviews or ratings.

Bolding mine. Where would the manpower come from to edit all our posts?

I went to the site, tried to go to the forums and I got the message that I had been permanently banned. Funny thing, I didn't even know the forum existed.

Well, their forum doesn’t seem to be completely unbiased.

One poster wrote:

You somewhat confused me with your post. I might be a little slow sometimes...What are you trying to say?

Skimming that "forum" my guess is it's been set up by Living The Dream Divers for the sole purpose of bashing the more established operators on Cayman.

Their website is less than impressive. Spellcheck anyone ?

<<Do you have a dive shop?

Yes! We have a small but awesome store / office located in the heart of Seven Mile Beach, opposite the Westin Hotel above Eats Cafe. As the only small group operator on the island that has a store we are very porud and hope every one make a visit during their stay. Liz and I have a small team and do not open the shop all day but rather meet you at a convienant time for you after a dive or before you leave. >>

Frequently Asked Questions for Scuba Diving in the Cayman Islands

Reactions: -hh
Ha! Reminds me of a similar incident in the motorcycling community I'm a part of. A few years back, the forum I am on had multiple posts and threads copied and stolen from the original forum and then re-posted under new user names on a new forum that had popped up. We assumed it was to make it look like there were users and active threads, knowledgeable riders, etc. on the new one. Then (of course) came the claims that our forum was no good and profiles were fake, we were all crazy to accuse them of stealing our forum posts, blah, blah, blah... It was pretty bizarre.

It's true, I don't really exist. I'm pretty sure I posted this message elsewhere and someone copied it here.

Whois is a dead end:
Registrant Name: Registration Private
Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com

I have a sneaky feeling that it's Cayman Turtle Divers. They're pretty aggressive on CAG and have glowing reviews on the website in question...and, I become more and more suspicious as I read more. The reviews are full of grammatical and spelling errors and are similar to each other. They also bash DiveTech. Of course, they're all written by new posters with one post to their credit...Go check out some of their posts about Turtle Reef on CAG...
Upon further review, I'd say Joe Stebbins or one of his cronies at CAG.

Last edited:
Well, their forum doesn&#8217;t seem to be completely unbiased.

One poster wrote:

it's technically true. Scubaboard does edit all of their posts, but since websites can't type, there is nothing to edit :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom