Dive Shop recommendations, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnshenry

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

My wife and I are returning to GC in Sept, it will be our 5th visit there, 4th diving. We are intermediate divers with 20 years and maybe 60-70 dives in our logs. We travel with mask fins and snorkels, and might buy dive computers before this trip. We typically have rented all other equipment from one shop, did 3-5 boat dives and a few shores in a 7 day visit. Last time we rented and went out with Divetech and really liked them. Unfortunately this Sept they are hosting a large photography group and are very booked. They have space on some afternoon boats, but no mornings. Morning boats have always worked well for us, but I would not rule out afternoon trips.

Lastly, we have shore dove Babylon last 2 times there (a bit of challenge for our level/experience but we love it) and will do it again this Sept one way or another. Going by boat would be ideal.... shore diving with maybe another couple or two would be good too.

So looking for other dive shop recommendations, good rentals, boat operations and *could* go to Babylon ( I know they never know until day of sail). We have used Eden Rock before also, they seem OK.

If there are comprehensive discussion threads on GC shops here already, please just say so. I searched a bit, but most of what I did find seems outdated, etc.

Thanks!

JH

Ocean Frontiers dives Babylon, my buddy did it with them last year. Dive Sites
Maybe Tortuga Divers at Morritt's does also.

There's this sub-forum: Cayman Islands

It depends on where you are staying on island. If on west side, there are a number of good local operators. Wall to Wall and DNS are operators I have good personal experience with but there are others. Wall to Wall does a 3 tank, all day trip sometimes, and if so, they usually dive Babylon as 1st dive if weather permits. If you are staying on the east end, then suggest you do your diving with Ocean Frontiers who are also very good. I am not a fan of Tortuga Divers.

I usually try to do all my boat diving with the same operator for a bunch of reasons, including discount rates for multiple days, and the fact that they get to know you and vice versa.

This is the exact question I was going to post. We are going to GC in July. Our plans were to use Divetech but the have kids sea camp that week. We also want to make sure we are using a shop that will take us to the great wall sites. We'll be staying on the north side of SMB and we'll have a car so we are a bit flexible but I'd rather be on a boat than in a car on vacation. :)

Sorry Johnshenry if I'm hyjacking your post.

I recommend Deep Blue Divers. Depending on the weather in September they may be diving the north wall. We will be making our 5th trip in September as well and will be using Deep Blue.

We, at Off The Wall Divers, would love to host you. Generally, SEPT is slow, slow, slow so we'll have the chance to do what you wish.
If you'd like to have "unlimited bottom" time, we offer that. Please feel free to contact Off The Wall Divers at fish at candy dot ky. Tom @ OTWD

I'm heading to Grand Cayman early next year. How is the diving on the East End? I'd also like to do a lot of shore diving. Are shore dive sites primarily located in one region?

There are multiple other threads that cover this but, the best diving on GC is arguably east and north.
The easy access shore dives are on the west side.

I'm heading to Grand Cayman early next year. How is the diving on the East End? I'd also like to do a lot of shore diving. Are shore dive sites primarily located in one region?
Here's a fairly complete list of the better known shore dive sites.
Grouped by geography using names on this map: File:GrandCaymanMap.png - Wikitravel

Check idiveglobal.com for site specifics/videos.
One other "gotcha" is that almost no on-site dive operator will let tanks off-premises.
Divers Supply in West Bay and Eden Rock downtown do rent for 24hrs.

Added notes for sites I know/have done.

NW Point/West Bay area
Cobalt Coast - Divetech on-site
One of the Hepp's sites. - only accessible if staying at condo complex nearby.
Bonnie's Arch - only accessible if staying at Bonnie's Arch condo complex.
Turtle Reef - Sundivers/Happy Fish on-site - IMO one of the best shore dives.
Lighthouse Point - the other Divetech shop

North Seven Mile Beach
Cemetery Beach - shallow - more of a good snorkel

Georgetown
Eden Rock - Eden Rock Dive on-site
Devils Grotto - same as ^
Cheeseburger Reef - Lobster Pot Dive/Don Fosters house reef.
Cali Wreck

South Georgetown
Sunset House - Poulson Wreck
Sunset House - Amphitrite Mermaid.

Smith Cove
Smith's Cove Beach - shallow

South Side
The Maze

North Side
Julie's Wall
Babylon - long surface swim out.

Back