Wetsuit Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

releck97

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Such first world problems...We're leaving for Grand Cayman on Friday and I'm having a difficult time deciding on a wetsuit for this trip. Usually we dive in February (or earlier in April) and it's a no-brainer for me. My wetsuit of choice for the winter months is a full 3/2. I wear a shortie in the summer. What are the temps like in the latter half of April? Can I get by with just a shortie or am I going to wish I brought my full suit? I'm not bringing both because of bulk and added weight. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Being cold sucks. A shortie wouldn't work for me doing 3 dives per day for a week. I'd freeze. I'd wear at least 3 mm pants and 1.5 top with a hood. You can always vent water into the legs or top if you're getting warm When you get cold, you just suffer. But, I am a skinny old fart.

Belize temps at my spots two weeks ago were 79 or so.

I'd wear the 3, been there plenty in April, water is around 80-82. After that second dive you get cold!

I'd say that if you typically carry your 3 ml in early April, then mid to late April won't be vastly different. Carry the 3ml. Now for myself, if the water is usually 80 or above, I don't wear a wetsuit. Being a little overweight does have its advantages!

Totally agree with others. Full suit. Much easier to cool down than to warm up.
Why risk it?

I am in the same boat...above about 80, I am fine with a shorty, and above about 84, I rarely wear a wetsuit. Then again...that was when I was 250-260 pounds. Since I am current at 237 and dropping fast, I may have to rethink that this fall. You could always take the shorty and then buy a 1 or 1.5 mm top with long sleeves to layer with if the shorty isnt enough. My wife bought a pair of 1mm shorts an a 1.5mm top to wear late last summer and loved the combination and flexibility it gave her.

I just love this site! We're all just a bunch of rabid divers waiting for somebody to start something new to chime in on...and, here I thought that I was the only one that made this sub-forum a regular check every day (or several times each day). Thanks for all the advice. I was all set to just bring the 3 mil when Aggie brought up his idea of an additional top. Like I said in the OP, such first world problems...
Now, if work would stop being a royal PITA this week, I could prepare myself for the trip!

I'd choose the full suit. I wore my shorty last time I dove in the Caymans (March 2013) and the Jelly Fish stings I got on the exposed skins made me swear never again.

Back
Top Bottom