Recommendations for Dive Op in Georgetown Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kicker1866

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I are headed down to Grand Caymen in a few weeks for a weekend of diving. Wife likes the easy breezy shallow stuff, but I am sure I may break off and do a few deeper dives.

Any suggestions on an OP?

Red Sails is one of the largest operators on the 7 mile beach corridor leaving from the Westin and Hyatt(?) hotels and Safe Harbor (they pick up too from other locations). Dived with them a bunch of times and they run a good operation. Only disclaimer is that it's a bit of a cattle boat scenario during season, but if you go this time of the year there should be less people.

^ - that's exactly why I wouldn't use them. Red Sail and Don Fosters do the cruise traffic as well as vacationing divers who may only dive once a year. So their sites are chosen to appeal to the less experienced. Which may be sites your wife would like also - shallower and lots of pretty fish. Everybody puts a DM in the water with 8 divers. Many of the operators only go with 6-8 divers max. I believe Red Sail does 24. I have personally seen a Red Sail boat drop at least 3 groups of divers on the same site. It's been my experience that the fish tend to hide more or leave when confronted by large groups of divers. Especially the Eagle Rays, they're pretty skittish already. Even diving as two, most of our views have been of them leaving quickly.

Based on their locations (except for their North side shops at Rum Point and Morritt's) they dive the West side mostly. The best dives IMO are on the North Wall. When I look for two I know to be among the best - Ghost Mountain and Babylon - Red Sail doesn't list them. In support of them, they do list most of the better west side dives.

There's a lot of alternative recommendations in the Cayman Islands sub-forum - it's under the Greater Antilles sub-forum. Just so I don't have to repost again, here's one of mine from yesterday: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...-dive-operators-grand-cayman.html#post7136791

With only a weekend, if you want to see the best of Cayman, go with one of the smaller operators. By the time you get sorted out at Red Sail, your time will be over. We've been on one boat with just 2 others more than once. Ambassador used to go with two - IDK if they still do. Surprisingly many of the 6-8max ops. also have big fast boats as well. Cayman is very competitive so service differentiates them. All will pick you up along SMB also.

the only one I've ever used is Deep Blue and I've been very happy with them so no need to change. Nick,Patrick and Rick all run a top notch operation IMO

we're heading there in September, we have the flights and the apartment booked so was time to shop around for a dive shop
based on the landlords recommendations i checked out Don Fosters, only 5 minutes away from where we are
i know they have 6 boats, but one of the questions i asked was "how many in a boat" and the answer was "very important question. Our boats are of a good size. Smallest is 42 feet. They are all prepared to take 24 divers plus crew. Don't let that spook you. The average is about 12 divers. Many days we go with just two. And you guys are coming on the slow season. So basically most days, divers are in a large boat with small group."
Don Foster's Dive Grand Cayman

ooh and even though they have guided dives they will let you go on your merry way, as long as you have a buddy and let the staff know (no solo diving)

i used don fosters and they were OK.

we had a group of 6 and had to dive the south side of the island due to weather.

the reefs were nice, but not better than here in NC.....

the second dive the DM was really hauling a$$ and rushing us through the reef.

I was the only one on nitrox and they gos rather pissed with me as i refused to hurry and "slowed the group down"... i did not realize it was a race.

i used don fosters and they were OK.

we had a group of 6 and had to dive the south side of the island due to weather.

the reefs were nice, but not better than here in NC.....

the second dive the DM was really hauling a$$ and rushing us through the reef.

I was the only one on nitrox and they gos rather pissed with me as i refused to hurry and "slowed the group down"... i did not realize it was a race.

i hear you, we did that in Curacao, just tagged along for the entry part then did our own thing, the group was gone before we could even say 1.2.3, we took our sweet time taking pictures and poking around, probably not even half way they came back lol
that is what i liked about Don's, they let you do your own thing as long as you tell them ahead of time
i'm past the times when the dive was a race, now i can just stay in a small area for the whole dive and explore :D

what i want from a dive shop is...no cattle boat, allow me some freedom...store my equipment for the duration of the stay (i will rinse it myself)

I like Sunset House, however when I used them I was a guest at the resort. I am sure they will take you with them on a few dives. However I think they require a check out dive for every new dive the service.

Maybe that would be the time when you take your wife on the shallow stuff.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using Tapatalk

I just dove with Tom and Graham at Off the Wall and I was very impressed. Their boat is located at the Lobster Pot and they can pick up on 7mb. Small 6 pack boat which is perfect for 7mb dive sites. If you are staying in the 7mb area I highly recommend. They went out of their way to schedule a pm KW dive for just the two of us. Like having a private charter and standard rack rates.

There are many good small operators that will pick up and drop off who provide personalized service and spacious boats with small groups.
I'd stay away from Red Sail, Foster's, Treasure Island, Sunset for the reasons cited above.

I've had very positive experiences personally with DNS and Wall to Wall. Big boats, small groups, valet service and good DMs, who will guide you if you want or leave you alone after watching your skills on the first dive.
Different posters have other recommendations. Neptunes, Off the Wall, Deep Blue and Living the Dream seem to have good reviews as well, but I have no direct personal experience. Most of these ops will also dive the North Wall as well as the West if conditions permit. Wall to Wall also occasionally does a 3 tanker heading down to Babylon for the first dive. Worth doing if they are going and you have time.

Where are you staying? The shore diving at Turtle Reef and Lighthouse is easy entry, calm, and pretty good as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom