First time to Grand Cayman - Must dos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keithab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just booked my first trip to Grand Cayman in September. It has been on my bucket list for a while now. I am staying at Reef Resort on Seven Mile Beach because my wife is a non-diver and she likes to lay on the beach all day (doesn't know what she is missing).

Anyway, I was wanting to get a list of "must do" things on the island from people that are regulars. That would include dive sites, restaurants, and any other activities you think are awesome.

Also, what should I expect as far as water temperatures, ocean conditions, visibility in September. I think I am going to go with Wall to Wall Diving from some of the comments I have seen here? 1 day of diving is about $90 which is more than Cozumel but I knew GC was more expensive going in.

There is already a lot of info on the board re GC activities and restaurants.
Wall to Wall is a very good op in my opinion. Make sure you book early with them as once they are full, they are full, and will not squeeze another diver on their boats. If they are doing a 3 tank dive, go for it as the first site they would tend to do is Babylon, which is an amazing dive.

Conditions always dictate which sites are diveable but my personal favorite on the west is Northwest Point and on the north, Ghost Mountain.

Shore dive and night dive at Turtle Reef if you get the chance.
Afterwards, you can have drinks, snacks and/or dinner at Macabuca which is 50 feet from the dive entry steps. They do a BBQ buffet one night of the week which is pretty good. Forget which night.

...Shore dive and night dive at Turtle Reef if you get the chance.
Afterwards, you can have drinks, snacks and/or dinner at Macabuca which is 50 feet from the dive entry steps. They do a BBQ buffet one night of the week which is pretty good. Forget which night.

That would be Monday's All-You-Can-Eat BBQ. They have pretty good deals other nights too.

Cayman Reef Resort is right in the heart of Seven Mile Beach. Cimboco cafe is a short walk and serves a creme brulee that get my mother's seal of approval. Agua is also an easy stroll and has a nice wine list. And if munchies hit, you'll see the locals give A la Kebab their approval for quick, spicy, and yummy grub - open late!

Water should be warm and clear and seas relatively calm unless a tropical system passes through. September can provide some downpours if we get a tropical wave.

Cimbo also has their 5 for $5 breakfasts on weekdays.You have to ask they don't have it on their menus.

Lets not forget "Eats Café" for reasonable priced food.Also "Chicken Chicken" which is Caymans attempt at Boston Market.Around the corner from "Eats" is Sunshine Suites which serves a great burger.

Cayman has most fast food places if you are into that stuff.

Wall to Wall is a good OP you will be well taken care of with them.

Some great suggestions already. To add to what has already been said. A shore dive and meal at Turtle Reef/Macabuca is always nice. Not mentioned is rent a car. I find car rentals in GC one of the few inexpensive things on the island. If just two of you rent a compact or subcompact. Rates around $11-15 a day and big enough for two and bags and you will find that you will use very little gas in these little cars. A trip to Rum Point in the afternoon hitting a dinner on the way back at On the Edge or Tukkas in the East End will make a nice trip. I always check the cruise ship schedule and plan around days when ships are not in - for my visits and dives in Georgetown and for hitting Rum Point. Not an issue for some. I prefer the quietter times when the ships are not in. See CruiseTT for the schedules.

On diving, I assume from your post that you will be diving solo. Not sure if this will be an issue at the shore/op sites such as Turtle Reef but from what I have read I expect you can find a buddy and buddy up with divers pretty easily. On boat trips, from my own experience with various ops it will be no problem. Just let them know you are a single diver. You can dive with the DM, if properly equipped and solo cert, you can dive pretty much on your own or just buddy up on the boat. I know that Divetech and Oceanfrontiers are very easy and accommodating when you are solo. On shore dives with onsite ops, Lighthouse Point/Divetech is another good option.

Enjoy.

I talked to Giles at Wall to Wall and he let me know that the hotel I originally booked was in the East End and that it was quite a drive into town every day. I also don't think my wife would like East End as much as SMB. I switched my hotel to Sunshine Suites Resort which is right there in the heart. Will make things much easier. Giles was very friendly and helpful and I am already slated to dive with them. Looking very much forward to it.

The North Wall---& get the tee-shirt that says so "I'm a North Wall Diver'........also, SRC, but dive it, don't just snorkel it.....

Be sure to eat at Sunshine Grill on the property. Excellent fish tacos and all else. A hidden gem with subjectively affordable pricing.

Last edited:
Want a special occassion, world class meal (at a price reflecting its world classness??) try Eric Ripert Blue at the Ritz-Carlton? This is one of my favorite restaurants in the world!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom