GC / LC itinerary suggestions? Accommodation Recs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be headed to Caymans for Thanksgiving for 7 nights. I am unsure of whether to spend our entire time on GC or split up our trip so we can experience LC as well. I will be traveling with a newly certified diver. Any recommendations? How many days in GC? How many days in LC? Because of no fly zone, we pretty much have to give up one day and that is the hesitation.

Also, looking for recommendations to stay. I really am not a 7 mile beach super resorty kind of person, and would much rather stay at Turtle Nest Inn with opportunities to walk into town for dinner and drinks but it seems like such a drive for diving every morning. Early 30s, off the beaten path kind of traveler and not tourist vacationer profile. Visited more low key places like Bonaire, Curacao, Roatan, Cozumrl, Belize in the past so this trip will be very different for me.

You might consider Cayman Brac, Cayaman Brac Beach resort would fit, quiet, family friendly, off the beaten path and you would still be able to have some dives off Little Cayman since they go to dive there once a week.

Sounds like a great suggestion. The diving on GC in my opinion is overrated and based on ancient history. The reefs on GC have had a lot of eutrification presumably due to sewage, fertilizer, +/- loss of mangrove. There is still some good diving on GC North or East End but in my opinion, not nearly as good as the Brac and Little Cayman.

If you are not interested in the hubbub around Georgetown and Seven Mile Beach, then the Brac and Little Cayman are great options.
Brac Reef Divers is an outstanding op with large spacious boats. The resort is not fancy but more than adequate. If you are only in the Caymans for a week, it would be a shame to lose a day of diving travelling and off gassing.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2014 at 01:50 PM ----------

The diving on the Brac and LC is fine for beginners as well. Generally calm clear waters, and there is always a lee side.

With only a week I would pick one island and not waste time packing and traveling halfway through. If you're not specifically interested in the busier atmosphere on parts of Grand Cayman, I'd head straight for Little Cayman, or the Brac. We like Little Cayman Beach Resort, but there are a few other good small resorts there that all have their fans.

Since you're talking a holiday time and not really that far off, I'd check into availability real soon. That may partly make your decision for you.

would much rather stay at Turtle Nest Inn with opportunities to walk into town for dinner and drinks
Georgetown? You know that's about 10 miles right? I'm not sure there's anything in Bodden Town except a bar there with food - my sister's family recently stayed at TNI.

Sunset House is an option. Easy shore dive entries for the new diver. Dive there, eat some meals there and you can walk downtown from there for dinner. It's about the closest thing to the dive resorts on Bonaire.

Or Cobalt Coast which is an AI due to location in a residential neighborhood on the North shore of the NW Point area. Divetech onsite and they have both a shallow dive and another at Lighthouse Point a short distance away. Not a lot of other eating opportunities in that area except Cracked Conch/Macabuca Tiki Bar slightly west. Or Papagallo to the east. You could walk to either. There's also several nice restaurants in the marinas on the Sound that aren't too far away - slightly south and east. Calypso Grill is one - a drive though unless you like to hike. Otherwise back to SMB. You can get an idea of what's available here: Grand Cayman Restaurants Guide for Cayman Islands Restaurants

Or stay on the quieter East End - Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point is a good option. Most people say the diving is better. OF does a lot of the better north wall sites that the West Cayman shops won't run to since they're too far away. (dive schedules and gas) My buddy dove with them recently - no complaints.

I own a condo at Turtle Nest Inn/Condos if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

If you are planning a "dive trip" and don't have any non-divers coming with you, go to Little Cayman unless you need nightlife. If you are planning a "vacation...with some diving" or have non-divers going with you, go to Grand Cayman. For only a one week trip, it isn't worth giving up at least a day of diving to offgas in the middle for the flight to LC.

If due to flight times you needed to arrive GC in the afternoon and depart GC the following morning to LC, where would you suggest for accommodations that would be convenient to the airport and a place for dinner.

Also, what would be an ideal amount of diving days at LCBR?

Last edited:
We did our very first dive vacation to the Brac, dived with the Brac Scuba Shack. Personalized outfit, no cattle boat op.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If due to flight times you needed to arrive GC in the afternoon and depart GC the following morning to LC, where would you suggest for accommodations that would be convenient to the airport and a place for dinner.

Also, what would be an ideal amount of diving days at LCBR?

I am looking forward to this answer from others, because I may be in the same boat later this year. I wish they would install lights at the LC airport so they could run another flight or two over later in the day. As it is, unless there are seats on the 5:35pm flight, we have a really difficult time getting to LC from Houston without an overnight stay somewhere in the trek. Hopefully when Southwest starts flying international out of Houston-Hobby next year, they will make GC one of their early destinations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom