Cruise ship anchor photographed on the reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Seems the Carnival Magic did a rather poor job of anchoring on Wednesday August 27, 2014 dropping its anchor right on the reef in front of Don Foster's on South Church Street.

Divers filed several complaints but authorities insisted the anchor was in a sand patch until Don Foster's staff brought back photographic evidence.

So far no word on whether Carnival or anyone will be charged with violating Cayman Marine Law which prohibits "Damaging coral by anchor, chains, or any other means ANYWHERE in Cayman waters" subject to "a maximum penalty of Cl$500,000 fine and one year in jail. Upon conviction, forfeiture of the vessel or other equipment may also be ordered."

C'mon DOE, seize the ship!!! :D or at least the offending anchor.

That is really sad to see. Hopefully something is done about it!

Seems the Carnival Magic did a rather poor job of anchoring on Wednesday August 27, 2014 dropping its anchor right on the reef in front of Don Foster's on South Church Street.

Divers filed several complaints but authorities insisted the anchor was in a sand patch until Don Foster's staff brought back photographic evidence.

So far no word on whether Carnival or anyone will be charged with violating Cayman Marine Law which prohibits "Damaging coral by anchor, chains, or any other means ANYWHERE in Cayman waters" subject to "a maximum penalty of Cl$500,000 fine and one year in jail. Upon conviction, forfeiture of the vessel or other equipment may also be ordered."

C'mon DOE, seize the ship!!! :D or at least the offending anchor.

What a coincidence that the pilot boat that directed the Carnival to anchor there is one of a shipping company whose owner also owns a fairly adjacent competitor dive shop to Don Fosters ...

Seize it and use it as livaboard hotel/dive op.

Given the amount of money the cruise ship and passengers bring to the island, I doubt anything will happen other than a token reprimand. I hope to be proven wrong.
RichH

I've often wondered what damage the Carnival cruise ships anchoring off Catalina's coast might be doing, but it's too deep for me to inspect. At least it is most likely soft bottom rather than rocky reef.

Here's the latest I found on the subject.
"Divers from the Department of Environment found out on Tuesday that more than 11,000 square feet of live coral was damaged after a cruise ship accidentally dropped its anchor outside of Don Foster’s Dive in George Town last week. "

Extent of damage to coral reef revealed - Cayman Islands

Wow, that's a lot of damage. So who gets hit with fines and penalties here? The cruise ship or the harbor pilot who directed the ship to drop anchor in that spot?

What a coincidence that the pilot boat that directed the Carnival to anchor there is one of a shipping company whose owner also owns a fairly adjacent competitor dive shop to Don Fosters ...

AHA! The plot thickens!!!!

Back
Top Bottom