Shore Diving Near Seven Mile Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keithab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be in Grand Cayman September 20. I am not doing any boat diving until the next day. I would like to do a shore dive or two the afternoon that I get in to get comfortable in the water. Any suggestions for good shore diving along Seven Mile Beach? What are the odds I will be able to partner up with someone at the site?

Eden rock dive center, wreck of the kalki(sp?) cemetery beach. Solo diving is prohibited by law I believe so you will have a hard time diving from a dive resort pier or beach by yourself.

Back in the 90's when we went to GC couple times a year, we'd always do Eden's Rock/Devil's Grotto as a shore dive several afternoons during the week.......Don't if anything has changed, but I'd check it out--cuz it was a great little dive..........

I was more or less referring to diving solo off of a resort pier or shop ladder where they don't allow solo diving. I was lead to believe that was the law of the land. I could be completely wrong.

I asked about renting tanks and diving on my own while I was there and they were adamant I needed a buddy or hire a guide even though I dive sidemount and completely redundant.

A couple shops even had issues with me diving sidemount unless I could prove I was certified. They didn't "allow it" until I showed proof of being a sidemount instructor.

Eden Rock is 500' from the cruise port and it's a mess downtown when the ships are in daily. I don't know if it would be a good place to find a buddy in the afternoon since many cruise divers do morning dives there then go eat/shop before tendering back out to their ships. Esp. ones with early departures. By 4PM it was deserted - we had to find the mgr. to rent us tanks - he was in back cleaning up. Asked us to be back by 5 so he could close.

A better choice might be Sunset House, it's 5 mins. south of town and is the de-facto dive resort on Cayman. My Bar there is full of divers and all afternoon we saw small groups shore diving there.

Or go the other way (NW Point) and try Divetech at Cobalt Coast Resort - the other dive AI. There's going to be divers there. Lighthouse Pt. is their other location but it's a small condo complex so less likely.

Turtle Reef could be another option but one afternoon we were the only divers. If you did want to pay a guide, Sundivers is on site there and Ollin works with Happy Fish Divers to provide guides - even at night.

There's three places to get tanks on Cayman outside of the on-site dive operators at the above^. None of the above (except ER) allow tank removal from the premises. Eden Rock, Divers Supply in West Bay and the dive store on the south end of SMB. Can't remember the name but it's in the strip mall just south of Treasure Island Resort.

IMO Cemetery Reef is a better snorkel. It is on the north end of SMB though. All the other SMB dive sites are too far off the beach to swim to although you'll see dive boats out there daily.

Last edited:
This is true. It is not against the law; it is against CITA guidelines.

My link is to the CITA Safe Diving Standards and it does not address solo diving. Are you saying there is an separate set of CITA guidelines? Are they published?

If you have a car, drive up to Turtle reef at the Cracked Conch. Easy dive. Good way to get acquainted with the waters. Then there's food and beer after. :)

If you have a car, drive up to Turtle reef at the Cracked Conch. Easy dive. Good way to get acquainted with the waters. Then there's food and beer after. :)

Better make sure they are open before you head up that way! I drove up on my last trip on to find it deserted and closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom