Looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keller34

Contributor
Reaction score
I have booked a trip for me and my wife to GC. It is our anniversary and the first real extended vacation in 13 years. Sad I know but a lot of ish happened.

I am looking at taking my bc, maybe my regs, my fins, and mask. I was thinking of getting her to do the discover scuba while I go out with her. She has never dived before but loves to go scalloping and snorkeling.

I want a dive op that is reasonable and has patience. I will be renting a tank from them and maybe the regs if I do not take mine.

We will be staying at the Westin starting Sunday and will be there all week until Friday morning.

We have a tour to stingray city and starfish something for $35 pp on Wednesday. I hate it but that was the only thing I could find. We really wanted Tuesday morning when only one cruise ship is in.

We thought maybe a smaller outfit would be best as not to be crowded with people.

Any thoughts on what /where we can go/book?

Since you're at the Westin so is Red Sail. They provide diving for two of the cruise lines so might be a good DSD option also. Welcome to Red Sail Sports Cayman | Cayman Islands

They rent Aqualung gear but their tanks are AL72's. Equipment Rentals | Cayman Islands | Red Sail Sports Cayman Note that there are very few operators who will allow you to remove tanks from their premises. Most of the shore dive sites are owned to the waterline by the operator located there.

If you need tanks for elsewhere either Divers Supply in West Bay or Eden Rock downtown rent them. Eden Rock is 500' from the cruise port also fyi. Really though, about the only dives on the West side where you can get in that don't have a op on-site are Cemetery Beach just north of Seven Mile Beach or Smith's Cove just a little south of Sunset House in south Georgetown. Divesites off Seven Mile Beach are too far out to swim to.

Since wife snorkels, consider booking a Stingray City dive with any of the dive operators that do it most afternoons. It's 14' deep and she can book a reduced rate snorkel from the same boat you're on. Last time we were there a family with kids did - mom/dad dove, kids snorkeled. If you do that, get your hands on a piece of squid and smear it on her - they rays will follow the smell back up to the surface with her.

Sandbar is a stand around in 4' of water sort of adventure. http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2009/long_nico/ss stingeray city.jpg

Another thing you both could do is the Kittiwake. It's both a dive and a snorkel since it almost breaks the surface. Kittiwake Sites in Cayman, Kittiwake Wreck Dive - Kittiwake Cayman

Or Turtle Reef. Turtle Reef - Shorediving and Snorkeling Sundivers is there and although the restaurant is closed for renovation till mid Oct. I read here recently that Ollin is still at the shop daily. He doesn't have a website.
For more information call SUNDIVERS at 1345 949 6606 or send them an Email SunDivers@candw.ky
Happy Fish also guides out of there in conjunction with them so they're a DSD option also. Want To Try Scuba? ? Happy Fish Divers

Here's the dive: Turtle Reef | Scuba Diving in West Bay | iDive Cayman
And the snorkel: Turtle Reef | Snorkeling in West Bay | iDive Cayman

Or for her DSD contact one of the AI dive resorts - Sunset House or Divetech at Cobalt Coast. Both do them in shallow water off just off their property. Sunset House has the Salt Water Pool - a set of stairs down into a concrete pool 6-8' deep with one open side.

There really are no bad operators on Cayman - they just don't last. Everybody differentiates by service as they all charge about the same. Here's a list of many of them: Cayman Islands Tourism Association - Things To Do In Cayman, Cayman Culture,Cayman Islands Watersports Just about everybody runs a free shuttle service also.

My short list for diving is Neptune's Divers, Wall to Wall, Ambassador or Indigo Divers. For no reasons than either I know an owner/staff member. dove with them or have a dive buddy who did. They're all 6-8 divers max on boats designed for more.

Have a good trip, IIRC the Westin put down reef balls a few years ago off the beach for a snorkel trail also.

Dive stingray city. Its only 15 feet or so and a blast. I've got vimeo vids if you are interested. Also best shore dives are turtle reef at macabuca. And go on Monday for the BBQ. Lighthouse point is a great shoredive as well.

Since you're at the Westin so is Red Sail. They provide diving for two of the cruise lines so might be a good DSD option also. Welcome to Red Sail Sports Cayman | Cayman Islands

They rent Aqualung gear but their tanks are AL72's. Equipment Rentals | Cayman Islands | Red Sail Sports Cayman Note that there are very few operators who will allow you to remove tanks from their premises. Most of the shore dive sites are owned to the waterline by the operator located there. ...
Red Sail replaced their 72s with 80s within the last year. They need to update their web page.

Red sail looks to be more expensive than others. I am looking at the Kittiewake and companion snorkel at the moment. She is now not wanting to do the discover scuba when I can get her full cert for $125 here local. Is the Kittiewake a decent dive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

My short list for diving is Neptune's Divers, Wall to Wall, Ambassador or Indigo Divers. For no reasons than either I know an owner/staff member. dove with them or have a dive buddy who did. They're all 6-8 divers max on boats designed for more.

Have a good trip, IIRC the Westin put down reef balls a few years ago off the beach for a snorkel trail also.

I have had good diving with Neptune's, but I was a bit put off with them on my last trip. After doing a dive on Green Gold I asked about going to the Kittiwake and they reacted like I had asked them to put us on the Carrie.

I too had a bad experience with Redsail. Did the kittywake with sunset house and I liked them. Out on the east end is ocean frontiers. First class diving. Great divemasters and interesting sites. And it is glamor diving at its finest. They will rig you up and rinse your gear and have it ready the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom