6.5 hour layover in Grand Cayman Airport - looking for advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are spending 2 weeks in the Caymans this Fall, the first week on Grand Cayman and the second week on Cayman Brac. We are flying Delta from the Midwest via Atlanta. On our return trip we will have to leave Cayman Brac on a 6:20 am flight but we don't depart on Delta from GCM to ATL until 1:30 pm. There isn't an earlier Delta flight available.

That's our only option on Saturday because the later flight from CB arrives at 1 pm (if it is on time!) and that is too close to make the connection; but it means we will have a 6.5 hour layover in the GCM airport. And when we finally leave GC will still have to fly to Atlanta and then to O'Hare. We will depart very early and get home very late.

I am thinking of leaving the GCM airport for a few hours and returning before our flight but I don't know if that is a reasonable idea.

Does anyone know if our bags will be checked through from Cayman Brac to Atlanta or will we have to drag them around with us?

Since we won't have left the Caymans when we traveled to and from CB, will we still have to go through customs and immigration just to get out of the airport? And how practical is it to leave and then come back through security on Saturday morning? How much time before our flight should we allow to get back to the airport?

If we do decide to leave the airport, we will be looking for breakfast and a nice place to hang out for a few hours, any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I had a 3-hour layover at GCM and spent most of that time in the restaurant/bar on the first floor. They have open-air seating too, friendly staff and serve some nice cocktails. Get a good book, buy yourself a couple of drinks (who cares about the time of the day when on holiday?), have a hearty brunch and out your feet-up.

Cayman Brac Airport is designated International and so AFAIK you should be able to book your checked baggage through to the US and have only the hand luggage in GCM.

Not sure about delta, but the united counter agents didnt show up until about 2 hrs before the flight. So if we had wanted to leave the airport we would have had to take our check bags with us. We just went upstairs to the hungry horse and ate and hung out using their wifi.

Not sure about delta, but the united counter agents didnt show up until about 2 hrs before the flight. So if we had wanted to leave the airport we would have had to take our check bags with us. We just went upstairs to the hungry horse and ate and hung out using their wifi.

So your bags weren't automatically checked through from Cayman Brac (or Little Cayman.) We were in the islands 2 years ago and I am trying to remember if we had to reclaim our bags when we got to Grand Cayman - and I can't recall.

We've eaten at the Hungry Horse and you are right, it is a much better place to hang out than the Departure Lounge! I am trying to remember how to access it. I think we would have to exit to go to the restaurant and re-enter through security later to get back to the departure lounge. That would be easier to do if we don't have to drag our luggage around with us.

Last edited:
I can't help with the luggage issues but one option is the Georgetown Yacht Club just north of the airport. It's marina side and they serve all day. Google Earth shows it as 695 yards door to door. GEORGE TOWN YACHT CLUB | 345-947-4892 | Daily Happy Hour 5-7pm | Curry Night Every Tuesday There's even a little pool there if you wanted to get wet but it's in a pretty public area - it doubles as a foutain at night for the outdoor terrace. Ghe map location shown on their website is incorrect - that must be the entrance.

gtyc.jpg

View this image and zoom in for more detail.

I can't help with the luggage issues but one option is the Georgetown Yacht Club just north of the airport. It's marina side and they serve all day. Google Earth shows it as 695 yards door to door. GEORGE TOWN YACHT CLUB | 345-947-4892 | Daily Happy Hour 5-7pm | Curry Night Every Tuesday

View this image and zoom in for more detail.

p.s. the map location on their website is incorrect. It's the blue building seen in the last three images here: Barcadere Classic 2014 :: The Barcadere

Thanks for the suggestion diversteve!

I wouldn't stretch it out too far. Saturdays are awful crowded there. Lines are awful, especially if you get chosen for "extra" security screenings. I don't know if you mind or not but standing in the departure area for any length of time sucks. I would rather show up early and find a seat. Last time I was there I swear the place would have been considered unsafe there were so many people there.

I wouldn't stretch it out too far. Saturdays are awful crowded there. Lines are awful, especially if you get chosen for "extra" security screenings. I don't know if you mind or not but standing in the departure area for any length of time sucks. I would rather show up early and find a seat. Last time I was there I swear the place would have been considered unsafe there were so many people there.

I recall the airport mayhem and my husband was randomly selected for "extra" screening the last time we left GCM. I got picked for extra screening when we came back from Provo last year; so I am nervous about cutting it too close. But it just seems like a poor end to (hopefully) a great trip to be sitting around that departure lounge for hours. Thanks.

On a trip back from LC one time, we had a 7 hr layover @ GC...didn't do much but sit around(there were about 10 in our party) & because it was on the return trip, we just ate lunch & all sat around & showed off :) his/her UW pics.......VERY BORING---needless to say..............................EDIT-we're on Brac from Oct 18 till the 25th.......When are ya'll going???

Back
Top Bottom