Lcbr 11/15-22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
Just back from our 3rd trip to LCBR. Last time there was 2010. Cayman Air added some excitement - when a flight is scheduled and when will it actually go :wink: This included a little note slipped under the door that the original 9:15am, which had been changed to 8:30am was now a 7:45am back to GC. I had a nice chat with a rep that got nowhere and didn't leave either of us feeling good about ourselves :wink:

The resort is as I remembered it, well kept with friendly helpful staff. Our room was on the ground floor right by the bar which we worried would be an issue. It wasn't. I think everyone must have been asleep by 9pm. The food in our opinion has taken a step down. We found it to be much heavier than in the past. Everything had cheese, breading on it, often fried. Lots of cream/butter. The salads were good and there was usually steamed veggies to help balance things out a bit. Don't get me wrong, some stuff was very good, just a little heavier than we are used to, especially at lunch time with a dive coming up.

Which brings me to the diving. Mind blowing as always! We lucked out with the weather and were able to make it around to Bloody Bay every day. We did do 2 afternoons at closer sites which were just ok... The reef and the coral is looking real healthy. Always nice to contrast the sheer walls with our usual Bonaire diving :wink: The viz was not nearly as good as we had on prior visits. Its been churned up a bit lately. The boat we were on was all experienced divers and there was no drama. Was a perfect week. Reggie was the boat captain and DM and is outstanding! Natalie is relatively new there and was also a very good DM. My wife is getting her knee replaced in a few weeks and it was no problem for her to remove her bcd in the water and they hauled it up.

LCBR is the gold standard for us in a dive vacation. The food knocked it down a notch, but we will not hesitate to return in the future.

LCBR is one of our favorites. My wife loves the place. I love the diving and no biting bugs. Funny about the food. It has always been first class and you never go to LCBR with the thought of losing a pound or two. Ahhhhh, for one of those mudslides...! On our last trip we talked with the long time chef and he was concerned about his work visa about to expire. Not sure if they were able to get him an extension or not. That might be cause for a slight change in food, but I'm just speculating.

LCBR is one of our favorites. My wife loves the place. I love the diving and no biting bugs. Funny about the food. It has always been first class and you never go to LCBR with the thought of losing a pound or two. Ahhhhh, for one of those mudslides...! On our last trip we talked with the long time chef and he was concerned about his work visa about to expire. Not sure if they were able to get him an extension or not. That might be cause for a slight change in food, but I'm just speculating.

I believe I heard that there is a new chef. Oh and I forgot to mention, the desserts are still outstanding and plentiful! I'm not looking for lighter fare when it comes to that.

Yeah, the chef (I believe his name was Anthony) was not there when we were there at the end of October. I suspect his visa expired, which is a real shame. We really missed his beef tenderloin wraps at lunch time. I also thought the food was not quite as good as it used to be. It is still excellent...just not quite as good.

Yeah, the chef (I believe his name was Anthony) was not there when we were there at the end of October. I suspect his visa expired, which is a real shame. We really missed his beef tenderloin wraps at lunch time. I also thought the food was not quite as good as it used to be. It is still excellent...just not quite as good.

Anthony is now at Pirates Point, so it was not a visa issue. The wraps served at Monday lunches were IMO a bit spicy, but still very good. In general, I like the current food better than before.

Anthony is now at Pirates Point, so it was not a visa issue. The wraps served at Monday lunches were IMO a bit spicy, but still very good. In general, I like the current food better than before.

No question it is a matter of preference. For example the scrambled eggs in the am - some folks dug down to not get the cheese on the top and others scooped the cheese up... I don't think you will want to be on the boat with me after eating cheese and eggs :wink:

---------- Post added November 26th, 2014 at 07:24 AM ----------

Wife & I were @ Cayman BracBR a couple weeks ago & said the same while there re the food(1st time to LCBR was '07 & CBBR '11)..Both agreed that we'd rather have eaten what we had vs them adding on money to overall trip---maybe a sign 'of the times'???..2nd day we ran over to LC & did 2 tank AM dives on bloody Bay Wall-----that one reef is 2nd to none in the Caribbean while only Dominica having overall better diving IMO(but that's a National Geographic type trip with all the topside 'stuff' to do/see----BUT a bugger bear to get to these days)......

BTW, be sure & post your(topside & UW pics) @ this below thread, we 'need some help'---lol.....glad weather cooperated & you had a good week of diving(weather was touch & go a couple days we were there but got in 6 great days of diving anyway...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman

Last edited:

Damn...I was hoping there was a chance he would be back at LCBR next time we went. I enjoyed talking to him about his recipes. My wife and I love spicy food, so those wraps were great for us. I felt like some of the dishes this last time were pretty bland. Definitely a personal preference kind of thing though.

---------- Post added November 26th, 2014 at 10:41 AM ----------

No question it is a matter of preference. For example the scrambled eggs in the am - some folks dug down to not get the cheese on the top and others scooped the cheese up... I don't think you will want to be on the boat with me after eating cheese and eggs :wink:

I am fine with eggs, cheese, bacon, etc...but it is the OJ that gets me. If I drink OJ and then head out to go diving, all it will take is the slightest amount of chop/surge and I will be purging during the surface interval after the first dive.

Anthony is definitely at Pirates Point. I am just not used to the new chef and had issues with dishes marked "gluten free" when they were not truly gluten free. I never had this issue when Anthony was there. He always went out of his way to make sure I was accommodated.

May be a problem. I have dietary issues as well and Anthony always went out of his way to look after them.
I'd go to Pirates except I really like the 3 dive per day arrangement at LCBR.
I wonder if the mgt at LCBR know that dietary concerns might be a deal breaker for some of their clients.

How can a professional chef get "gluten free" wrong?
The consequences for a person with Celiac disease could be significant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom