May Grand Cayman Trip Planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoshell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Planning a trip to Grand Cayman in May. Does anyone know if it will be significantly less crowded if we go the week before Memorial Day weekend? Also looking for advice on North side winds in May. Would like to stay North side (Old Man Bay, Rum Point, etc.) to avoid crowds and take advantage of snorkeling. We will be diving as well and are looking to combine shore/boat dives throughout the week. Looks like there are shore dives on all parts of the island but that the SMB area shore dives may have mostly damaged reefs? Any advice comments appreciated!

I'd rethink your plan if (shore) diving is a major focus.

The few shore dives in that area are long swims out - some thru an active boat channel. One of the best is Babylon but it's a long surface swim out. The dive operators will go there via boat generally. Most of the best shore dives are off NW Point - a couple of the better snorkels also - but you can't get there conveniently from where you plan to stay and it's an hour drive around.

Also there's a limited selection of dive operators in that area - Red Sail/Tortuga Divers or Ocean Frontiers on the South East End are it. Red Sail is at Morritt's and Rum Point - they provide diving services at The Reef resort also. If your plan is to snorkel/dive Stingray City they do it weekly from Rum Point IIRC - it's pretty close to that area of the Sound.

There is no shore diving off SMB - the reef is too far out. The one exception is Cemetery Reef at the north end of SMB but it's really a better snorkel - not very deep.

There's two clusters of shore dives on Grand Cayman - one consists of Cobalt Coast, Turtle Reef and Lighthouse Pt. in the NW Point area of the island. There's also ladder access to Bonnie's Arch and the "Hepps" sites from either Bonnie's Arch or Coconut Bay condos if you're a guest. All the rest of that area is either ironshore cliffs or private property mostly. The first three sites are also good snorkels - some of Lighthouse Point - including the 1800's anchor - is 8' deep. There's a map of the site here: http://www.divetech.com/files/shore.htm

The other cluster of shore dives is in Georgetown or south of town. Those sites are Eden Rock/Devils Grotto - which are very tired due to all the cruise traffic - Cheeseburger Reef, Don Foster's reef, Sunset House and Smith's Cove. Except for the last two all are in town - typically 4-5 cruise ships moor there daily also. Decades of cruisers haven't done most of them much good - Sunset House is about the best of the group. Smith's Cove is also a good snorkel from what I've read.

For snorkeling you might find this useful: TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path

http://www.idivecayman.com/ also lists snorkel sites. Many with videos. You can also both dive and snorkel the Kittiwake also - it was intentionally put down shallow for that reason. http://www.dive365cayman.com/kittiwake-cayman IMO Turtle Reef is the best of the shore dives. Really any of the ones in that area since they get you out to the North Wall. At one time Divetech at Cobalt Coast used to drop you off out there to explore the wall then swim back in.

hth,

Thanks DiverSteve. This is just the info I needed. Very much appreciate your input on the shore diving venues. As we will only have a few days to shore dive, will make it easier. Will definately check out DiveTech for diving and maybe look for a a condo with a kitchen so we can cook.

If you stay at the North end of SMB, the beach is quite beautiful and not crowded as compared to further South nearer Georgetown. You would have more choice of boat diving operators then at Rum Point. Most of them dive the North wall from the Yacht Club which is near by.
Most of the operators who dive West and North will pick you up at your hotel or condo. (Don't know specifically about Divetech) There are a number of condo rentals in this area that are reasonably priced in May. London House, Christopher Columbus, Anchorage and others.

There is a Foster's Food Fair in West Bay as well, making it convenient to pick up staples and prepared foods.

There is good shore diving at Turtle Reef, Lighthouse and Cobalt Coast as diversteve mentioned. Turtle Reef is my favorite of these both day and night diving.
Our usual routine when on GC is to do a 2 tank boat dive in the AM, lunch, then a PM shore dive and either another late afternoon shore dive or a night dive. Easy to get in 3-4 tanks daily of good diving.

From a cost perspective, a package of diving booked through Divetech would include unlimited shore diving at their sites ( Lighthouse and Cobalt ), both of which are good. Another option would be to book accommodation and diving at Cobalt Coast/Divetech. The hotel has suites with kitchenettes and a restaurant on site. Very quiet there but on ironshore, not beach, and isolated. All depends on what you want.

It's a very long swim from shore to Kittewake with heavy boat traffic. Would not recommend that suggestion.

It's a very long swim from shore to Kittewake with heavy boat traffic. Would not recommend that suggestion.
In case it wasn't apparent - I wasn't either. Many of the boat dive operators also take snorkelers on the same trip.

Great to hear that you are coming to the island!
There are now three operators on the East End. As Steve said Red Sail out of Rum Point (certain days) and Morritts (every day), Ocean Frontiers from Compass Point and a new one at Reef Resort - Silver Sands. OF and RSS are both good operators - que the normal comments about who prefers which one - I have dived with both. Have not gone out with Silver Sands as yet so cannot give any review on this one. Some of my favourite site are on the south east corner, this is well worth the money for a boat trip if you have the time.
Shore diving: if you are looking for managed sites then these are all on the West Side - Sunset House, Don Fosters (part of the reef is being restored after a cruise ship anchor was dropped in the wrong place. Cayman Magic Reef Recovery on facebook if you have a spare morning and want to help out), Eden Rock (yawn, if there are no Silver Sides there), Sundivers at Macabuca Bar - I like this one, Light House Point - like this one also, and Cobalt Coast.
Un-managed sites: lots and lots, especially along the south side of the island. Just keep an eye on the weather and make sure you have the DSMB handy and bring booties as alot of entries along the south coast can be over Iron Shore.

Winds: throw a stick in the air. Prevailing winds are from ENE, but this can and does change; you can check windguru and passage weather for reasonable 7 day forecasts. If you do decide to stay on the North Side of the island, rent a jeep, throw your gear in the back and look for the dive moorings, this way it doesn't matter too much what the wind does. As normal, tell people where you are going, what time you expect to be back, make sure your gear is set up right, stay safe, if you are not sure about it - pick somewhere else.

Gotta agreed with previous, i would not recommend swimming out to the Kittiwake. Book a dive boat. A lot of operators go there Epic, Living the Dream, Indigo, Dive Tech and others go out from West Bay Dock. Seasports, DNS? will pick up form Seven Mile Beach. Red Sail (and others...although I cant remember the names right now) will do snorkeling only trips out there as well as diving.

Enjoy your time

Just a clarification to an earlier post mentioning DiveTech and their packages that include unlimited shore diving. The unlimited shore diving is only on the days you do boat dives with them. You can also purchase an unlimited shore diving package with them.

I'm staying at Cobalt Coast the first week of Feb. and diving with DiveTech. Did my checkout dives in 1998 with DiveTech where the first two dives were shore dives at Turtle Reef. Still remember seeing an octopus as soon as we went under.

Have also gone diving with Ocean Frontiers when I stayed on east coast a few years ago.

It's all great! Can't wait to get there!

:cheerleader:All together, We will be in Cayman for 17 days. One week diving w Ocean Frontiers, I like VIP service, and staying at the Morritts. Then off to Little Cayman for 5nights and using Southern Cross, and the final 5 nights staying at Cobalt Coast and diving w Divetec. I do have a dilemma weather to do unlimited shore dives package or boat dives w unlimited shore dives. My buddy wants to maybe do one day shore dives and one day boat dives.
It's funny, he wants to dive every day in Little Cayman when his friends might be there:dork2:. We will be there in June for my birthday month: balloons:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom