Little Cayman in mid-Feb LCBR how are the bugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking forward to a group trip with my LDS to LCBR in a few weeks - first time there for me.

For LCBR experts out there = are there any bugs, sand fleas? I always bring bug spray when on a Caribbean trip, but wondering what the "typical" bug expectations are?

Thanks!

I've never experienced them bad there and I've been on all three enough times to know. On Grand once we had mosquitoes, if you hang around the ponds on the island you might experience a some. LCBR is not too near a pond, and does not have that much sand.

Last edited:
The Booby Pond is right across the street from LCBR.

Bugs still not bad. I've had a few mosquito bites at the bar in the evening. No big deal.

I really react strongly to mosquito bites, I get big itchy welts that last for a long time; I think that it is an allergy. My husband gets bites but they itch for a short time and then fade quickly.

A lot has to do with whether there is a stiff breeze to keep the mosquitoes down IMO; but of all the Caribbean islands we've visited, I've had the least problems with them in the Caymans and we have been there 6 times. The Caymans are a wealthy country with a high standard of living and they spend money on their islands and tourist industry.

I have seen planes spraying for mosquitoes over Grand Cayman and I have never had bad problems on the sister islands either. On Cayman Brac I have gotten bitten up while visiting the caves and the lookout points in the marshland, but no real bug problems around the resort or beach or just traveling around the island and stopping at various sites.

Also, the Caymans have a low incidence of mosquito-borne viral infections, like Dengue and Chikungunya, while nearby islands like Cuba and Jamaica have many more cases; another indication that they take mosquito-abatement seriously.

Of course, it is the tropics and there are mosquitoes and you will probably get some bites, so bug repellent is a good idea. I recently found a new product that helps a lot after you get bitten. It's Allegra Anti-Itch ointment and it works well to relieve the itch and it makes the bites fade and not come back.

Have fun on LC!

Last edited:
I can't speak to specifically the bugs will be in mid-February 2015, but I can say that since mid to late 2014 there have been more bugs than normal. I am not sure if it is the lack of rain or what is causing it.

It is more the sand flies or sand fleas, whichever one you call them.

Well, the real story is that at about 3-1/2 minutes after sunset each evening the queen sand flea of Little Cayman beats her wings furiously. This doesn't just create a sonic wave, it actually generates an RF field. So within approximately 50,000 ns every sand flea on Little Cayman gets the same message: FEEDING TIME! And then they go for it, with a vengeance. By about 20 minutes after sunset, the little buggers are all worn out and go back to wherever Little Cayman sand fleas go. And they basically stay there until the next day, when they repeat this all over again.

Seriously, don't worry about it. I'm writing to you now from the Beach Nuts Bar at LCBR. I've been coming to Little Cayman every year since about 1992 and live here for 3 or 4 months every year. The bugs are not a problem....except just after sunset. Then, you come inside and shut the screens. It's as simple as that.

Large,
Flying insects are generally not a problem during daytime. They can be a problem early morning and evening if there is no wind. On calm evenings, the LCBR bar is usually surrounded by "insect repellant torches" which are of limited help. They also have repellant sprays on the bar for guest use during these times. In general, I find that biting insects are less of a problem on Little than here in the Keys.

I can recall one trip where the mosquitos were really bad out around the dock right after dusk. But other than that one trip, we haven't really even noticed them the rest of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom