Best tipping practice at LCBR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shmuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I will be going there and was wondering if the people who get the tips want them given through the resort or separately to each group- dive masters, wait staff and housekeeping.

My experience at LCBR is that in the dive shop they have little drop boxes in the dive shop by the door for each pro (they also captain). You can doll out in that manner or have the shop manager spread the love in a bulk amount. If you do not hand it off or use the drop box, it seems to be shared, and certain pros will be responsible for taking care of you all week and you may prefer to really hook them up at the end.

We always use the drop box in the dive shop and then tip housekeeping and service staff separately.

We also tip Clive who hauls all the guests and bags back and forth to the airport.

There is a gratuity for housekeeping and kitchen staff included in your bill, but you can tip them more if you prefer. We usually set our tip amount for the diving based on the number of dives we do, then split it out by who was on the boat with us for how many dives. They have envelopes in the dive shop that you can use to write a little note before dropping it into the tip boxes if you want.

I do a calculation based on number of dives and then leave it in the communal slot for all the DMs to share. The people who work the desk, runs the compressor, fill the tanks, haul tanks, load them on the boats etc. all are working hard to enhance our dive experience.

Obviously, if one if the DMs has gone out of their way for me, I recognize that separately.

I almost always tip, but you must remember what are you paying for exactly when you go diving? Included in your rates are travel to the reef as well as the tank, you tip for special service beyond what you already paid for. I've been aboard a dive boat that was terrible with service, no help getting in or out or attending to you in anyway...why would I tip.

We've been several times and if I remember right, they have posted in the dive shop a "suggested" tip amount for those folks who really don't know what is appropriate. I typically tip more than that but I think the suggested amount is reasonable. I have always handed my tip in cash to the boat captain and DM after the last dive of the week when they are cleaning up. My experience has been they do a great job and work hard for their tips.

As far as the cleaning folks and wait staff, like AggieDiver said, that is built in their rates, but you can always tip additional if you want. From time to time we have left extra but not on every trip. I also wait until the end of the week to tip at the bar. It's just easier than always having cash on you.

By the way, if any of you folks are interested, we have a group going in August and I have a couple of rooms left. We all share equally in free spaces/discounts so it's a better rate than you can get on your own. About $175 less for the week. I will eventually turn in those rooms but if anyone is interested let me know. Dates are August 15th - 22nd.

My experience with tips or service charges that are added to a bill is that they are not distributed to the workers. Only used as an explanation as to why the entity pays higher wages to the staff is what they say.

What I am trying to say is I doubt the housekeeping service charge on the bill goes directly to the housekeeping staff as tips.

I don't know for certain, but that would be my guess. I will find out and pass along my answer.

I would encourage you to tip the housekeeping staff because of that.

In some places, I would wager you are correct that they never see a dime. However, I would be shocked if LCBR was shorting the housekeeping and kitchen staff. I think it is more likely something to do with how the workers are classified for immigration purposes and how tips are taxed in the Caymans. I have no specific knowledge about either, but it wouldn't surprise me if they provided them extra salary instead of tips simply to keep the tax issues simple as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom