If you could spend a month on Grand Cayman…..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am fortunate to be spending four weeks on Grand Cayman next Feb/March, especially after this wonderful New England winter. We probably will be renting an apartment or small house rather than staying with a resort. I am a novice diver (will have done about 20 dives by the time I get there) and wanted to get my number of dives up, so this will be like going to heaven. I’ve read just about everything I can on this board and the web about the Caymans, but I am overwhelmed by the possibilities: How to structure a reasonable dive schedule – whatever that means (is is possible to overdo the diving?). Whether or not to hook up with one dive company or resort for the entire time and try to negotiate a good rate (if that's possible), or just go a la carte. Whether I should invest in my own BCD kit (I have mask, snorkel, wetsuit, fins) or just rent (assume I would not travel with weights). Best mix of boat vs shore diving. Whether to spend some of the time going for AOW certification.

So for those of you familiar with GK, how would you spend your month? Thanks!

Lucky you!

Although I have visited GC many times I may not be the best person to advise you regarding living/diving on GC but you might try reaching out to East End Diver; he is a member of scuba board and he owns and rents a condo at Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town. He can give you local advice about dive ops, equipment, etc.

You might want to make arrangements with a local operator that provides secure storage on-site so you can dry/store equipment without dragging it back and forth with you - and you might be able to work out some kind of package deal on boat dives and tanks for shore dives. Avoid operators that cater to cruise boat divers.

We usually stay at Turtle Nest Inn which is next door to the condos and managed by the same family. We get a one-bedroom kitchenette apartment that includes a compact car rental. We are only there for a week at a time so it may be smarter to rent a condo for a month, I don't know.

I like Bodden Town because it is away from Georgetown and 7 mile beach but not too far away. Do you own a Garmin GPS, or can you borrow one? They include good maps of GC and can be very helpful with finding your way around and negotiating roundabouts.

Have fun!

I respectfully disagree. Bodden Town is a nice area, b-i-l's family stayed at TNI also but for every single dive he drove to Ocean Frontiers on the East End (south side) or back to Georgetown - 15-20mins. each way There's little (no?) food shopping there and most dining options are back to Georgetown. Ocean Frontiers is all boat diving only - there really isn't any good shore diving on the East End - although it's the most pristine diving left on GC.

A month's worth of boat diving, even at some negotiated rate is going to be extremely expensive when you consider the standard rate is 2 dives for $100ish. Most operators do offer some discount for multiple days - Ambassador for ex. offers 4 2-tank dives for $360 but since it's possible to do 4 dives/day...

What I'd look at instead is locating in a non-touristy (if such a thing exists) neighborhood near dive sites/operators. Probably not near Georgetown either - the 4-5 daily cruise ship arrivals make that a mess till about 4PM every day.

I'd look for something basically north of the Ritz in West Bay/NW Point. It's quieter, the cruise traffic doesn't generally get that far (exceptions being the tour buses to the Sandbar Snorkel, Boatswains Beach/Turtle Farm and Tortuga Rum cake factory.

NW Point also has the advantage of being under 10mins. drive from all the activities/nightlife/restaurants on Seven Mile Beach. Many of the boat based operators work out of one of several marinas near there - if you did rent a condo on SMB, they would pick you up. Farther north you might have to drive over. There's also a Foster's Food Fair in West Bay.

A further advantage is that arguably the three best shore dives are in that area - Turtle Reef, Lighthouse Point and Cobalt Coast. Sundivers is on-site at TR for tank rentals and the others both have a Divetech shop on premises. There's also Coconut Bay and Bonnie's Arch condos in the same area - both are on "private" shore dives since they have a ladder down from the ironshore cliffs for their guests use only. A couple of the units at Coconut are owned by the owner of Stingray Watesports and he offered to hook us up with tanks for shore diving as well. Check on vrbo.com - there's several units often for rent on either property.

You'll also see a lot of rentals on the NE side of the island - Rum Point, Old Man Bay etc. Understand that for a newer diver, that's all boat diving with Tortuga Divers at Morritt's (a big condo/timeshare complex) or Silver Sands at the Reef Resort. There is no shore diving to speak of in that area that doesn't require a surface swim thru an active boat channel. There's also one small food market, maybe 1/2 dozen restaurants counting ones at the resorts and Georgetown is 45mins+ drive from there. Some people really like the peace/quiet staying in that area affords - not for me personally.

The other cluster of shore dives is in town. Eden Rock/Devils Grotto, Foster's Reef, Sunset House, Smith's Cove etc. The first two are a short distance from the cruise port - there can be as many as 4-5 ships in port daily - so that changes the entire town till about 4pm. After that it's nice. Eden Rock is also one of few places that rent tanks for off-site use - the other being Divers Supply in West Bay. All the on-site operators at the other sites provide tanks/weights for use on premises only.

You won't need weights either. Although you'll likely find that it's cheaper to buy weights on arrival and leave them when you go since there is a charge at some operators. Or bring them with you - over the long term that would certainly be cheaper.

It might even be cheaper to do that with a tank - you should price that both ways. I'd guess just about any operator would fill it as needed. I might even consider buying a tank here, pulling the valve (for TSA) and bringing it. You'd pay once for a VIP before the 1st operator would fill it, after that it's yours for the month for the cost/time of a fill. Offer it to someone locally and get some money back when you leave.

Last edited:
Look into spending time on Little Cayman and Brac as well.

I agree; there is some great diving around Grand Cayman and because the OP is a new diver he will have lots of opportunities for diving fun on GC but I also prefer LC and CB for diving. When we are on GC we usually snorkel and do some shore dives and maybe a few boat dives, enjoy the attractions of the island, and then go diving in the sister islands.

OP, below is the link to Testudo's excellent snorkeling guide and you may wish to spend some time snorkeling while you are on GC; it's fun and free! One of the reason's we like to stay at TNI in Bodden Town is because there is nice snorkeling (sometimes including Tarpons!) right out in front of the Inn.

Also below is a link to a thread about things to do topside on GC; including a few things that are free!

Grand Cayman is beautiful and a lot of fun and there are many great things to do topside and 7MB is a world-class beach; but since you are going to spend so much time in the islands you might want to try and break it up and also visit CB and LC to see a different side of the Caymans (smaller, quieter, no cruise ships, and very layed back) and the best diving that the Caymans have to offer IMO.

Cayman Brac is bigger than LC and besides enjoying the beach and diving you can hike, climb, visit caves, bicycle, and enjoy the wildlife of the wetlands. The diving is very good and includes the wreck of a sunken Russian Frigate.

Little Cayman is smaller than CB and there is even less to do topside but it offers the best diving in the Caribbean IMO, and the island includes a wild bird (Booby) sanctuary.

TESTUDO'S SNORKEL GUIDE Cayman Off the Beaten Path

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/437891-topside.html#post6532430

Last edited:
I'd dive the North, South, and East in equal measures. I'd probably get around to doing Stingray City just for completeness.

One thing I would not do is dive anywhere near Devil's Grotto/Eden Garden. Did that in September and will never return to GC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom