Where to Stay on Little Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred3798

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are looking to take our first trip to LC. We have been to GC. We are fine with a quite dive locale. (By the way, if you like quiet dive resorts try Turneffe Island Resort in Belize.) We would appreciate tips on choosing between Little Cayman Beach Resort and Southern Cross Beach Club. We want to maximize diving. But we also appreciate amenities and will pay for nicer rooms and better food. Thoughts please?

LCBR has a really nice set up. You can opt to pay for the hotel rooms as usual, or you can stay in one of their condos that are much much nicer. In either case the food is incredible (amazing chef), the dive pros are wonderful to the guests and the diving is amazing. I have had some great experiences at LCBR, but also cannot speak to SCBC having never stayed there.

The food and accommodation at Southern Cross is marginally better, but IMO, does not warrant the price differential. LCBR is more than adequate. The ocean front rooms are spacious. All rooms recently renovated.
Dive ops are comparable.
Both are on the same stretch of beach.

Is there any truth to the rumour that both resorts limit bottom times to 1 hour max , read reports of second morning dives being limited to 45 minutes to get back in time for lunch

Actually changed my decision to book there , truth or urban legend ?

My experience was 1st dive ~100 ft. 50 min, 2nd dive ~60 ft 60 min, afternoon 60 ft. 60 min.. Those were the dive briefing recommendations and everyone happily approximated them. The crew didn't check computers or keep a stopwatch. I never felt rushed. The dives were very multi-level. Usually a jaunt down the wall at depth and a return on the reef at the top of the wall. They put a guide in for each dive and they followed the path outlined in the briefing. You could go with the guide or do your own thing. Due to the variability of the depths you could dive, most of the folks on my boat dived their tanks for the most part. Lots to see, lots of different ways to approach each dive. I didn't go with the guide much and with the wall & the briefings, navigation was easy. Some of the best diving I've done in the Caribbean. YMMV. Dive OP was excellent. I'm going again in August. :)

All that said, the dives on the wall are virtually bottomless. I guess you could run long and deep on the first dive, pushing your NDLs requring an extended surface interval thereby shortening your second dive. The boats have to run on some sort of schedule. I didn't see anyone do it, but I guess it's possible. You could also stay shallow on top of the wall and finish a dive with half a tank, but that's not really "in the spirit" of the sites, but it's your choice.

Agree with the best in Caribbean , did it off the Cayman Agressor last year , by far Bloody Bay Wall was the best diving on the trip .

That is why I thought about planning a trip on Little Cayman , awesome Caribbean diving

I've had plenty of dives over 60 minutes, 67, 72, but mostly around 60. They won't go crazy if you decide to spend a couple more minutes at the dive site but it is nice to be courteous to the other divers. If I decide I want a longer dive, I try to get in asap that way when the last guy starts his approx hour dive I've got five to ten minutes already in the dive.
Of course I always check my computer, but you are on a unending wall. There will be plenty places to investigate and you can always burn more air by staying deeper if it fits your profile.
It seems like when you gaze below you there's always some giant sponge, some interesting crevice or a grouping of coral with a lot of fish milling around. If I have time to burn or air to burn I decide what to do.

LCBR---you'll love their valet diving..:)

And C'iac----always remember to let them tie the boat up FIRST...........You getting close, BTW....Clock----tick tock tick tock.......

Is there any truth to the rumour that both resorts limit bottom times to 1 hour max , read reports of second morning dives being limited to 45 minutes to get back in time for lunch

Actually changed my decision to book there , truth or urban legend ?

Have been to LCBR twice, 2010, 2014. All dives, both AM dives, PM dive, and night "suggested" for one hour. Don't recall if they said bottom time or run time. Regardless, we had average run times of 65-67 minutes and nobody ever said boo. As above, good strategy to be among 1st in and try to come out with the last groups. I wish they offered 4 dives a day rather than 3, essentially my only complaint

You can do more on the dives. The trick is to get in first. The other thing is to poke in the shallows essentially doing the safety stop, keeping an eye on the boat. I wait for the ladder to open up and then climb out. As long as you don't slow things down, there is no problem. Making everyone sit and wait for you on every dive might be a problem. They do have a schedule and it does make sense. I just about always get 60 minute dives.

Back
Top Bottom