Little Cayman in November - Need your input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cuddlefish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Would you guys hesitate to visit Little Cayman in the first couple of weeks in November? Planning around potential hurricanes isn't possible..I know, I know. Just looking for feedback.

(I'm also considering Cozumel in November.)

I would chance November. I usually go to GC at that time of year and the weather is pretty good. Might be windy but there is always a leeward shore to dive.

We will be on GC and LC in Oct/Nov. We usually travel at this time of year to celebrate our wedding anniversary and because the prices are cheaper and the venues are less crowded - and we have usually had good luck with the weather.

The peak hurricane month in that region is September but we have experienced some storms and heavy weather a few times in the Caymans during Oct/Nov - but we have always been able to get in some great dives - but there are no guarantees of great weather at any time of year at any location! When the weather is rough the diving is usually great but the vis isn't always the best you could hope for. I'd say that the weather risks for Cozumel would be the same at that time of year.

I think (and hope!) that you will have good weather because we will be there too!

Another nice thing, the water temp is always very warm at that time of year. We were on GC and CB in late Oct last year and the water temp on the reef was 84 and 85 F! We were there for 2 weeks and the weather was good, just a little windy a few days, and we had lots of great dives. But as you know, nothing is certain.

Last edited:
We have been traveling to the Caribbean in October and November, our pre-winter trip, for about 10 years now. Destinations include Utila, Roatan, Cozumel, Mayan Riviera, Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman. We have never had a bad trip due to weather. Not saying it can't happen, but we have been lucky as far as hurricanes go. If you are looking for a discount package at LCBR, drop me a note. I'll be running some Cayman specials at the Seattle H2O Show April 11-12.

We were there the week before Thanksgiving last year and made it out to Bloody Bay Wall every day. Yea, you take your chances, but its the 3rd time we were there and so far we have been lucky. We will do it again. Good luck!

This graph shows the probabilities well:

Hurricanes and Storms

You need to be a bit careful with that graph, as it counts all storms anywhere in the Caribbean. I did some digging on storm tracks for a tripadvisor post last year, and found that in the last 20 years or so, more of the storms that hit the islands or passed within about 50 miles hit were in October or November than in August or September. Ivan is really the outlier as far as recent storms hitting the islands. Looking at recent storms to hit besides Ivan, most were around or after Halloween.

Now with that said, there is still a pretty low chance at any time of the year, so I would not let the tropical storm possibility prevent me from going there at any time of the year. However, with regard to what you asked, we were there last year in the last week of October. We had 2 days on the Bloody Bay Wall, and the rest it was too windy to make it around. If I recall correctly, the next two weeks were pretty much completely blown out for the entire week. If I had my choice, I would not go that late again. My own personal plan is to not go after about the middle of October for future trips unless there is a screaming good deal available. I really like going in August and September, but keep in mind that much of the rest of the island, including the LCBR spa, is closed for the month of September (or longer).

AggieDiver, that was very well put. I started to write the same thing, then got interrupted and dropped it. But if you look at the paths taken by hurricanes going back to the 30's, you will see that early season hurricanes tend to break off to the north earlier than late season hurricanes. Consequently, the western Caribbean has a greater exposure to hurricanes later in the year than does the eastern Caribbean.

Beginning in 1998, I went down to Little Cayman for the winter every year about the first of October. And October--and often much of November--was invariably miserable. I finally started holding off until late December, which is what I do now.

absolutely----go......btw, much better shot @ diving LC vs CZM @ that time of year....

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom