How windy is it in late July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We went to Little Caymans last November and it was to windy to dive Bloody Bay except for two days. We want to go back in late July and hope that its not at windy. Does anyone have any experience going that time of year? Thanks! Bill

It is not so much the speed of the wind as it is the direction of the wind.

The prevailing winds in July are from the south east.

I would be very surprised if you could not get around to the north side in July.

The rare wind problem that time of year is the wind is so strong out of the south that you can't get out of the cut, so no diving at all on those rare occasions. Emphasis on rare.

Of course I am not taking into consideration any tropical storms or stronger weather.

As long as there is no tropical storm, you should be fine for north wall diving.
jdcpa mentioned rare events when when south wind was so strong that the boats could not get out of the cut and suggested that there would be no diving. Not true. I've been to LCBR in that sort of weather and they bused all of us over to a sand beach off Jackson's wall and we went shore diving with the DMs.
They also brought over snacks, water and a big tarpaulin people could sit on during surface interval. Quite civilized.

Southern Cross did the same for their guests.

My understanding is that they will only scrub diving if the weather is too bad to get a plane in and out out to deal with a dive related medical evacuation. At least that was the story last year at LCBR.

My experience with late July and early August diving in the Caymans is that if there is not a tropical disturbance/storm nearby, the wind is usually very calm. As was said above, even when it is not, the typical direction for the winds during that time of year is from the east or southeast. So as long as there is not a low south of the islands pulling the wind around to something north of east, you will be fine diving the north side. In the last several trips that we did during July-September, we had zero days where we could not dive the north side. From about mid-October on to January or February, it gets much more dicey and you can have entire weeks that are blown out on the north side if you are unlucky.

Back
Top Bottom