First time Grand Cayman recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cutter1470

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My GF and I are traveling to Grand Cayman 5/15-22. Staying at the Marriott on SMB. Planning on doing two dives most days. Any recommendations for dive ops or must see dive spots? Are the Kittywake and Stingray City worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have made 2 dives on the Kittiwake and one dive and one snorkel at Stingray City. I enjoyed every dive a lot! When I return the Caymans I will dive them again. The Kittiwake is still pretty bare but it is getting better. It is <65' to the sand and a load of fun. Stingray City is a great experience and lots of fun. It is well worth the effort and $$. Have a great time!

Kittiwake is definitely a fun dive. Wreck snobs may sniff at it, but it is still a good day underwater.

Stingray city is also good fun. Red Sail to a "breakfast with the Rays" thing, where you get there 30 - 45 minutes before the hordes of (other) tourists show up, and you have the sandbar to yourself for a while. In my opinion that is well worth the extra expense, even if the breakfast itself is pretty indifferent.

The diving around the Seven Mile Beach area is generally a high standard, although it does get a bit same old, same old if you do a solid week (especially the shallower second dives). You may want to take a break and drive out to the East End for a day to change it up a little.

we may be going shortly

My dive group went to Grand Cayman two years ago for the first time; although several members of the group have done more difficult and technical wrecks we enjoyed the Kittiwake; we are going back this June and will do it again.

[video]https://youtu.be/e62phRK_jHM[/video]

Did 3 dives last weekend with Tortuga (part of Red Sail) out of east end. Found them a good op. If you have a buddy following guide on the shallows is optional as long as you let them know. Or you can follow until they get back to the boat area and then do your own thing air permitting. Did not see any of the cruise boat crowd.

From the East End, Tortuga is good. And the East End is very good. But from where you are, you don't want to go there every day.

While diving off the West / SMB is better than a lot of places in the Caribbean, it's the worst diving in Grand Cayman. If you're a reasonably-experienced diver, with a buddy, and you don't need your hand held, and you're only diving in the morning, and you have a car, THEN I recommend Cayman Marine Lab. CML goes to the north wall most of the time, and otherwise the south sound if the weather demands it. Wherever you end up going, it's always reasonably close (10-20 minutes) from where you're staying.

Tom (the owner) is entertaining, has a PhD in marine biology, and you'll get to see a lot of lionfish die. My impression is that CML has its diehard fans, and you'll either love it or hate it. (I love it.)

Otherwise, Red Sail is fine.

There are many good operators who dive west and north and are based not too far from where you are staying or will pick you up. They all dive north if the weather is conducive. They pick sites based on conditions, availability, +/- client requests.
I do not agree completely with Laconic re west side diving being lousy. I've had fabulous wall dives at Northwest Point and Orange Canyon.

I particularly like DNS and Wall to Wall. Big boats, small groups and valet service. Red Sail tends to fill their boats more. No personal experience with CML.

I personally am not a Kittewake fan as the wreck has not picked up a lot of life as yet, but if you get bored, there is a pretty good wall to dive there.
Stingray City is a novelty and IMO, is worth diving once.

Thanks!
I've sent out some inquiring emails to several operations. Have to see what works best with rates and schedules. Looks like Red Sail has a shop in our hotel, so that might be a big factor.
Thanks for all the insight. I'll be sure to post a report when it's all said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom