Starting to Plan Cayman Trip for 6/13 - 6/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMGitlin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife is awesome at her sales job and won us a trip to the Cayman Islands this summer. It will be our first time to the Cayman Islands. We will be staying at the Ritz on Seven Mile Beach from Saturday, June 13th to Saturday, June 20th and I'm starting to do the planning homework. We are both PADI open water certified, hoping to add Nitrox before the trip and shooting for 3 days of 2 tank diving during our trip. I'd like to make some reservations with dive shops and a fishing guide before the trip and will read through the threads on here before asking for tips on both. Thanks for all of the great information.

One initial question - Should I try to work in a day trip to either Cayman Brac or Little Cayman? We went to Belize for our honeymoon and preferred Caye Caulker to Ambergris Caye and Little Cayman kind of reminds me of Caye Caulker based on the photos and Iguana:person ratio. I know we can't dive the day before we fly back to the US, but what about small island hopper flights?

You do have a talented wife, congratulations on the trip.

I would definitely get nitrox certified before the trip. My wife did PADI online and went to a local shop to analyze tanks. I did nitrox in the old days when you actually did a couple of dives. I would not spend the time and money going to Little Cayman or Cayman Brac on your 1st trip to Grand Cayman. There are many great operators, everyone here on SB has their favorite, I would look at Wall to Wall Diving, WalltoWallDiving.com – Personally Guided Grand Cayman Diving at it's Best!

Have a great trip

Congratulations on the free trip! We will be staying at Cobalt Coast, not the Ritz, and diving w Divetech on JUNE 12-17 for our 3rd final week on the Island after being on Little Cayman w Southern Cross. Divetech has free unlimited shore dives at 2 locations on boat dive days. My husband is taking his SSI Advanced with them. I will be doing boat dives in the morning and join him in the afternoon for shore dives. I'm looking forward to diving the East, West, and North side of Grand Cayman, but my highlight would be Little Cayman. If you can, you should add at least 4 days to the end or beginning of your trip to Little Cayman. I don't fly before 24 hrs after my dives, eventhough, I'll diving nitrox. Also, I like my gears to be dry before flying, it weight less. FYI, we will also be in Little Cayman on June 7-12. Have a great time and maybe we can meet up for a dives/drinks!

Thanks for the reply! I have read quite a few glowing reviews of Wall to Wall and like that they offer a 3 tank dive option. I'll reach out to them this week. We're planning to do the Sunday brunch at the Ritz the day after we arrive and have a company dinner on Tuesday evening but are wide open other than that and 3 days of diving. I am hoping to do a bike tour, some reef or bone fishing, a kayak trip through the mangroves and to see the Sea Turtle Farm. Any tips or hints for companies to do those (or other favorite) activities would be greatly appreciated as well.

I am hoping to do a bike tour, some reef or bone fishing, a kayak trip through the mangroves and to see the Sea Turtle Farm. Any tips or hints for companies to do those (or other favorite) activities would be greatly appreciated as well.

West Bay Loop | Bike Tours Grand Cayman | Bike Rental for bike tours

Cayman Kayaks for Bio Bay night kayak - Sweet Spot also do this I think

Pete from EPIC Divers – Grand Cayman | Dude, what an EPIC ride will do bone fishing for you or Adrian at BAYSIDEWATERSPORTS.COM will take you out deep sea.

Hi

Depending on what you are looking for we might be the right choice for you.

The majority of diving in Cayman is done on the West side which is by far the least spectacular diving location on the island. We cater to divers seeking something different. Cayman Marine Lab offers most of their diving off the North Wall diving untouched sites with no other operators around for Miles.

Dr Tom Byrnes has a great sense of humor and has over 30 years experiance in Cayman waters. Tom worked hand in hand with the BBC to create a series of documentaries detailing Cayman Marine life. He also has several research papers published worldwide. During surface intervals Tom is happy to give Marine Biology talks and to explain more about what you have seen on the dive.

Please feel free to send us an email if you want more information (tbyrnes@caymanmarinelab.com) or have a look at Trip advisor to see what our clients think of us.

Hi

The majority of diving in Cayman is done on the West side which is by far the least spectacular diving location on the island. We cater to divers seeking something different. Cayman Marine Lab offers most of their diving off the North Wall diving untouched sites with no other operators around for Miles.

I would be interested to know which N Wall sites you dive which are "untouched" and when "no other operators [are] around for miles". Could you list some?

Hi

I have the same question as Alex please tell us more.

One initial question - Should I try to work in a day trip to either Cayman Brac or Little Cayman? We went to Belize for our honeymoon and preferred Caye Caulker to Ambergris Caye and Little Cayman kind of reminds me of Caye Caulker based on the photos and Iguana:person ratio. I know we can't dive the day before we fly back to the US, but what about small island hopper flights?
Not sure it's been made clear - Little Cayman and Brac aren't day trip options. The "island hopper" flights are high enough that you need to concern yourself with time before flying so it doesn't work. Adding at least 3-4 nights to the beginning or end of your GC week if you can would be the way to do one of them. (I would suggest Little Cayman.) Or just save it for another trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom