Customs from Little Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles below

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will be coming from Little Cayman to Grand Cayman staying at Cobalt Coast and diving w Divetech, June 12-17. We are flying on Cayman Airways on their twin otter plane from Little Cayman. I was informed that I have to clear custom. I will clear custom when I arrive from the USA on May 31 to Grand Cayman. Can someone clarify if I have to clear immigration again coming from Little Cayman to extend my diving in Grand Cayman North side before heading back to the states on JUNE 17.
Thank you,
Evy

No you do not. You can walk right through the in transit line.

My memory is there is a sign for those arriving from Little Cayman/Cayman Brac and you walk through

Thank you everyone! Now, I'm stressing on the baggage allowance to Little Cayman, 55lbs +15lbs carry-on flying w Cayman Airway via twin otter plane. Maybe, I should wear my BC on the plane that would shave off 5lbs..he he he. I guess I'm diving naked! I may store one of my suitcase at Cobalt Coast before flying out on June 7 to Little Cayman. Or send one of my bag w the sitter and kids when they fly back to the states on the 7th.

You don't need a lot at LCBR, not a dress up kind of place. Tee shirts, shorts and bathing suits should do it.

Don't stress. It will work out. Enjoy what sounds like an incredible trip

Thank you everyone! Now, I'm stressing on the baggage allowance to Little Cayman, 55lbs +15lbs carry-on flying w Cayman Airway via twin otter plane. Maybe, I should wear my BC on the plane that would shave off 5lbs..he he he. I guess I'm diving naked! I may store one of my suitcase at Cobalt Coast before flying out on June 7 to Little Cayman. Or send one of my bag w the sitter and kids when they fly back to the states on the 7th.

Don't be concerned. We try to reduce the luggage just because it is expensive and a pain to drag all that stuff around, but it is difficult because we like to spend a week on GC during tourist things, and then go to one of the sister islands or a liveabord for the second week.

But there are drop-off laundries on GC and there are coin-op laundries at BRBR and LCBR so you don't need a lot of clothes. But it is still hard not to exceed the allowance with scuba gear, camera gear, clothes, and toiletries.

If you are over-weighted on the trip to/from LC or CB, then then excess baggage fees are not bad at $0.50 per pound and sometimes they don't charge the fees; just my experience.

When we went to Brac last October/November we did NOT have to go through customs or immigration to leave GC, or upon arrival on CB, or when we departed.

But on the return trip they won't check your bags through to the final destination. We had to collect our bags on arrival in GC and then go outside to re-enter the main terminal, and then wait until the ticket counter opened to check our bags. We then had to go through customs and immigration to enter the departure lounge for our flight home.

At your first place of arrival in the US, you will have to collect your bags and go through US customs and immigration. One of the things I liked most about Nassau is that you can go through US customs and immigration right in the Nassau airport - very convenient.

The GC airport is crazy busy and crowded on Saturdays. When we head back to GC and LC this fall we will be arriving on a Saturday but departing on a Sunday so I hope it won't be quite as busy.

We usually fly Sir Turtle (Cayman Airways) out of Miami and when you do so, no charge for dive gear on the flight from Miami or the interisland flights on Cayman Express.

We usually fly Sir Turtle (Cayman Airways) out of Miami and when you do so, no charge for dive gear on the flight from Miami or the interisland flights on Cayman Express.

I didn't know that. That is important information, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom