Buying groceries and liquor on Grand Cayman on Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We will be coming in rather late on Saturday for our fall trip to GC and LC. We plan to pick up the car and head to the Fosters before checking in at the hotel so that we will have groceries and alcohol on Sunday.

I think many visitors hit the supermarket as soon as they arrive on Saturday because most of the stores are closed on Sunday. Here are few options for we've used to buy a few supplies on Sunday on Grand Cayman:

Anchors convenience store at the Cayman Islands Yacht Club is open 7am to 7pm every day and offers groceries and carry-away alcohol

Treasure Island Resort convenience store is open on Sunday, not a big selection of groceries but they also sell carry-away alcohol

Crewe Road Mini Mart, a little store not far from the airport (across the street from Every Bloomin Thing) is also open on Sunday. They offer groceries but I don't know about alcohol.

And of course, you can also pick up a few items at gas station stores on Sundays

Are there any other options?

go out and have a nice dinner and knock back a few at the bar afterwards and go on a beer run Monday? You are on vacation I think you are over thinking it.

go out and have a nice dinner and knock back a few at the bar afterwards and go on a beer run Monday? You are on vacation I think you are over thinking it.

Don't worry, we will spend plenty of time in restaurants and bars while visiting the Caymans! But I have some food allergies so I need to buy some products that I know are safe for me.

You seem to be pretty well informed, for carry out booz you have Treasure Island or Anchors. They are good for wine and spirits but if you want beer they are restricted to selling cases only.

For food, if you are up in West Bay (just above anchors) then opposite West Bay police station is the pink shop which is open on Sundays and has one of the better food selections in the area (for a Sunday)

Depending on where you are staying i.e. how flexible they are, you could think about getting food and booz delivered before you arrive:

Home | Big Daddy's | Wines, Beers, Wines | Grand Cayman

Hurley's - Delivery

I apologize but I am having trouble understanding your post. You mentioned food allergies and suggest a need to buy groceries on a Sun. Did you check your arrival time vs. Foster's closing time? What is it that you have to have that can't wait until Monday that you can't take with you to get you to Monday? When we travel to GC with families we bring almost a weeks worth of groceries in dry goods and meats. We pick up alcohol on the island with any fresh items we need.

Fosters is open 7AM to 11PM all week, closed on sundays and holidays.

Store Locations – Foster's Food Fair – IGA

Also if you eat meat you absolutely must try the jerk chicken and pork, I wish we knew about it when we arrived, that's all I would have eaten lol

is located at:
191-223 Shamrock Rd
Grand Harbour, Cayman Islands
19.279575, -81.339575

I apologize but I am having trouble understanding your post. You mentioned food allergies and suggest a need to buy groceries on a Sun. Did you check your arrival time vs. Foster's closing time? What is it that you have to have that can't wait until Monday that you can't take with you to get you to Monday? When we travel to GC with families we bring almost a weeks worth of groceries in dry goods and meats. We pick up alcohol on the island with any fresh items we need.

Sorry if I was confusing and I am getting ahead of myself because our trip isn't until the fall - I'm just eager!

I was just trying to let people know that there are some shopping options on Sundays and find out if there are any other options. There was a discussion about it on the trip advisor forum recently and I thought that it was useful information. Sort of a general information announcement; people search for destination information on this forum all the time.

We should have time to shop on the way to the hotel on Saturday night unless our flight is delayed and we will also bring some items with us in our luggage.

We certainly won't starve on GC, there are lots of restaurants, but I do have to take care and check food labels and ask questions in restaurants so it is something that I have to think about and plan for.

It is pretty easy in the Caymans where English is the official language. On some islands the labels and menus may be in Spanish or Dutch and that can get challenging, but we figure it out, or there is usually someone that speaks English that I can ask.

But I really had to struggle with communicating special dietary restrictions when I was in South Korea recently. I didn't try as much of the local cuisine as I would have liked and that was too bad. Finally I asked the concierge at the hotel to write out a message that I could show to waiters and shopkeepers - that worked well!

Last edited:
Spent a week in Puerto Rico earlier this year and paid about $5 for a ½ pint of Bacardi rum at a Walgreens. Hopped over to Grand Cayman the next week and spent $15 for the same size at a liquor store (one of our stops Saturday evening after arriving.) Ouch!!

But I will say that the price of the Tortuga rum at the airport is pretty good (as well as the rum itself) and I always bring back a few bottles.

Spent a week in Puerto Rico earlier this year and paid about $5 for a ½ pint of Bacardi rum at a Walgreens. Hopped over to Grand Cayman the next week and spent $15 for the same size at a liquor store (one of our stops Saturday evening after arriving.) Ouch!!

But I will say that the price of the Tortuga rum at the airport is pretty good (as well as the rum itself) and I always bring back a few bottles.

I learned that lesson in the Turks and Caicos. Liquor was very costly on Provo but the local Bambarra Rum was inexpensive and very good.

In the Caymans I prefer the taste of Tortuga Rum over Blackbeards Rum.

If we have the opportunity at the airport before departing the US, we sometimes pick up alcohol at duty free shop and carry it with us to the destination.

BTW, does anyone know if the Grand Cayman airport shops in the departure lounge are open on Sunday? We usually buy rum cakes at the GCM airport to bring home as gifts. It is easier than buying them at a local store and packing them and dragging them around. But this year we are flying home on Sunday so I don't know if it will be an option to buy them at the airport before departure.

Last edited:
There was a recent change to the Sunday trading law that legitimized a long-standing practice of allowing smaller convenience stores to remain open on Sundays.
Government lifts Sunday trade restrictions for convenience stores

Stores less than 4000 sqft can now open legally. That still leaves out all the major grocery stores. But....

The Fosters Express market at East End is only 3,500sqft. And the Fosters Bay Market in Camana Bay is even smaller. Not sure if they will start opening Sundays, but it appears that they could.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom