Reef "Relocation" Proposal for Georgetown Cruise Ship Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds ridiculous, but money seems to trump everything, especially on Grand Cayman

Why is it some think one can take a highly complex natural system, simply move it to a new location and have all the ecological values intact? It isn't like moving a house to a new parcel.

This is very sad. I have seen GC grow since the early 80s and this would be horrible. I must admit I am not a fan of cruise ships and crowds and work to avoid both when visiting GC and any other island. I hope this does not come to be. If so I would no longer have any interest or reason to visit GT and would reconsider my visits to GC.

Unfortunately this is just one step in the "urbanization" and destruction of what was a beautiful island.
Just look at the development that is occurring and the new condos and hotels.

The mangrove has been excavated to build canals for housing and the golf courses dump fertilizer into the sea.

Grand Cayman is proof that greed trumps logic and environment.
Fortunately, they haven't destroyed the Brac and Little Cayman yet.

Why is it some think one can take a highly complex natural system, simply move it to a new location and have all the ecological values intact? It isn't like moving a house to a new parcel.

It seems to have worked well enough in Cozumel. Why would it not work in GC? What is really going to be lost besides a couple so-so dive sites?

With up to 35 acres of reef affected, I would say it's more than 2 dive sites. Relocation isn't the correct term, just call it destroy the reef and hope something grows on the rubble.

At the risk of sounding stupid (which is always a risk for me), why dredge? Why not run a dock out to the deep water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom