Trip Report 6/7-6/14 2015 Little Cayman Beach Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvaughn97

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My group of six just returned last night from an incredible week of diving at LCBR 6/7-6/14. Overall, we had an really great time.

We arrived on Sunday and were welcomed by Becca at the front desk who was very courteous and gave us the keys to our rooms and said our bags would be delivered, so don't worry about them. That was the first sign of the service that you receive at LCBR.

We decided to go check out the bar, and met Grace and Teresa, who were the bartenders at that time. They greeted us with a smile, asked us our names, and somehow never forgot our names the rest of the week. The drinks are little expensive, but that's to be expected in the CI's I guess. At the end of our trip, we left a little keepsake at the bar as most folks do. Ours is a message in a bottle - a TX bottle - because we were the crazy group from Texas. If you visit and want to leave a note in the bottle, please do. We want to read our own note - to ourselves - when we return, but hope that others will write their own notes there too.

We checked in at the dive site and met Caitlyn who greeted us and got our rental gear lined up. She told us to leave our dive bags in front of our rooms before 7:15 AM the next morning and they would be delivered to the dive shop. So, we got all of that lined up and relaxed the rest of the day.

Our dive crew for most of the week was Will and Anoush. Both were very engaging, friendly and incredibly helpful all week long. They alternated duties between boat captain and dive master for our dives. We were all impressed that all of the dive boats were operated with just two people, and they were adamant about service. DON'T try to do any work on the boat (such as connect your own BC, etc.) - they handle everything for you. This is the ultimate in lazy man (or woman) diving - or get fancy and call it concierge diving. Walk to the back of the boat, sit down and they bring you your BC and tank. No walking around awkwardly trying not to fall down carrying 40 extra lbs. After the dive, climb up the ladder, sit down and they take your tank and BC from you and reconnect your BC to the next tank. We were spoiled by the end of the week. Ed, Luke and Marcus also led us on some of our dives. The girls loved Ed's English accent.

Under water, the diving was excellent. Great reef health and lots of fish. Our favorite dive site was Mixing Bowl. The Bloody Bay Wall was great, but we spent more time on the Jackson Bight end of the bay where the formations are more diverse. Cascades was our second favorite dive, and we just missed seeing a 7 foot hammerhead that others in the group saw just past the pinnacle. This was the best diving we've every done - better than Bonaire, Roatan and Utila. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

The food was great from day-to-day. No complaints and they work hard to fix good food that is not repeated. You see some of the same stuff day to day at breakfast, but that's expected. Dinner was different every night, and it was good. The bar food is very good if you decide to forego the lunch option. The drinks at the bar are very good, but pricey. The food at the bar is quite pricey as well. The waitstaff in the dining room - Claudia, Samantha and Jadeen - were superb. Service with a smile and engaging every night. We had some good laughs with them.

The only complaints that we had was that the beach was filled with seagrass the week we were there, but we learned that it was a product of the weather and not necessarily normal. The mosquitos were bothersome, but the island had received a lot of rain lately so I guess that's understandable. The resort had bottles of bug spray that guests could use as needed.

Lastly, we met the resort manager Kimberly who was very sweet and wanted to make sure that we were satisfied with our stay. She is from Scotland, and she runs a great operation. Overall, we had a great trip and will return some day.

Thanks for the report. It sounds like there are has been significant staff turn over since we were last there in 2014. Glad the level of service has been kept up. Hands down, LCBR is our favorite dive resort in the Caribbean. Couldn't get a room there for early August. Seems they are busier than usual because of the renovations going on at Brac Beach.

I agree that the dive sites in the Jackson's Bight area are generally more interesting than Bloody Bay, but both are outstanding.

Another fine report for LCBR. We met up with Grace a few short years ago when she was just getting certified, and she dove with us a few days. She is quite the mermaid now. I find it amazing that she and Teresa never forget a name or room number. I am surprised to hear the mosquitos were bad. I'm not sure I can remember a bite while staying there, and I love to site on the oceanfront room patio morning and afternoon.

Mixing Bowl is one of my favorites as well, nice report.

The week before we arrived had seen rain about 5 out of 7 days, so the extra rain must have led to the mosquitoes. Someone we talked to said they had never seen Booby Pond full in June, and it was as full as it could be. One afternoon we rented scooters and drove around the island. There was lots of water everywhere. Mosquito breeding puddles and ponds for sure.

Great report and glad you had a wonderful time at LCBR. We're in Little Cayman on June 7-12 and stayed at Southern Cross. It was our first time there. The little island was quiet a charmer! I love my bike ride around the island, paddle boarding around our resort(or falling), kayaking to Owen's Island, napping on the hammock, and of course diving w amazing visibility even on cloudy days.
3 of your divers from LCBR on June 13 went on board our boat. They followed me to my boat. I'm always the last diver out of the water. They were photographing something so I took a look myself before heading back to my boat. They owe us 3 cases of beers!
The money we paid staying at Southern Cross didn't really live up to the VIP services. The food was medicore, meat dishes overcooked, seafood and Indian dishes was good. Lunch hours was too short after arriving from AM dives: breakfast served at 7am-9am( 8am dives) good for divers and non, lunch served at 12:30-1:30( 2 days they started clearing at 1:15pm) not my idea of a leisurely lunch. Dinner served at 7pm-9pm which was ideal after a dusk(twilight dive), but you'll missed Hor've ders at 6pm if they do it.
Divers / guide ratio was a bit too much. At one time, 11 divers and one guide w 2 junior divers. I was the 12th divers so called a guide to join us. Cleaning my own gear is not what I called VIP service. They also only had one tub to clean your gear,however, they did have a storage room.
On our first day also on the RSVP, I mentioned that I would be interested in a night dive and diving the wreck at Little Brac. All week they promoted the dusk dive so I finally gave in on Thursday night since we were leaving on Saturday. Also, I found out that Little Brac Reef Divers came over to Little Cayman and dove the Bloody Bay on Thursday. So, why couldn't we couldn't we crossed the channel to dive the wreck? We dove Jackson Bight, Great Wall East,Marilyn Cut,Coconut Wall,Mike Mount,Dottie Hotspots, Randy Gazebo, Mixing Bowl, and Jigsaw Puzzle. I really liked Jackson Bight, Mixing Bowl, and Marilyn Cut. Dive profile was 100ft/50 minutes and 60ft/60 minutes which the guide never went below 70 ft. I dud however managed to dive 102-105ft for 50-60mins and second dive 60ft for 60-70 mins.
When I dove w Ocean Frontier (VIP services ) and Morritt's Tortuga Divers on Grand Cayman East End filled my nitrox to 3300psi and never had issues to depths and time. However, the wall starts at 60ft but the corals and wall was quite healthy like Little Cayman, but saw more Caribbean sharks and Southern Rays! I wild definitely go back to Grand Cayman East End which we also had a lovely time at Rum Point, Kaibo, Mystic Fall,and Sting Ray City. We also dove the Kittawake on Monday which we were the only boat doing the tour. I would definitely go back to Grand Cayman again before Little Cayman for VIP services and value!

The value at LCBR is somewhat better than Southern Cross and the service certainly is valet on the dive boat. The only time you have to clean your own gear ( unless you want to ) is at the end of the week of diving. The food at LCBR as the OP stated, is varied, good quality and plentiful. I've found that if you don't like any of the entree choices ( usually 3 ), chef will almost always find something else for you. When you add in food, transportation etc. on GC, the price for a week at LCBR is quite competitive. I've dived LC and GC both many times and prefer LCBR to anything on GC including East End.

I haven't stayed at Southern Cross for a while so cannot comment on comparison to LCBR wrt diving service or food.

The wreck on the Brac is no big deal and the crossing can be bumpy. Most folks don't do it more than once.

...The wreck on the Brac is no big deal and the crossing can be bumpy. Most folks don't do it more than once.

I have done the crossing between LC and CB 3 times; once from LC to CB and twice from CB to LC. None of the trips were bumpy and we greatly enjoyed all of them. One time we wanted to go but the dive op said that it was too rough so it didn't happen.

I think it is a nice little "value-added perk" to be able to dive off a different island at low cost and via a short boat trip, but LC and CB are still great dive vacations without taking advantage of that option.

The Tibbets is not an outstanding wreck like the Thistlegorm but it is always enjoyable. We celebrated our 500th dive on the Tibbets so it holds some pleasant memories for us.

When we are on LC later this year I don't know if we will want to dive the Tibbets again, probably not because the reefs are so lovely, but it is nice to have to have the option. And I kind of enjoy seeing how much it has changed over the years. But someone who likes wrecks and hasn't dived it before, or not for a long time, would probably appreciate the opportunity.

Last edited:
We dove the Tibbetts wreck, and even though I really enjoyed it I probably wouldn't do it again if we went back. No real reason because the trip over from LCBR was easy and I enjoyed looking it over. But, the reef formations over near LC are so interesting that I'd want to dive those sites as many times as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom