January Shore Diving in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howswedeofme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are planning a return trip to Grand Cayman in January 2016 to do some diving with some friends that are new to the sport. Will we be able to do any shore diving this time of year? And has anyone been able to do shore dives in January up by DiveTech/Cobalt Coast or Macabuca?

Probably can still get out at Sunset House, Smith's Cove (easy for beginners) or Eden Rock/Devils Grotto/Cheeseburger downtown since they're sheltered by the island. Get tanks for Smith's at Eden Rock, there's no facilities nearby except Sunset House and they don't allow tank removal from the property.

I was once told that sometimes when Cobalt Coast is blown out that you can still dive Lighthouse Point and that Divetech will transport guests over there. I don't know how accurate that is.On the map it seems possible since they face different directions.

Capture.jpg

I have never been there in January.

Take them to Stingray City one afternoon. 14' dive and a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up about the tanks for Smith's Cove!

We are staying at the Coconut Bay condos (right next to Cracked Conch/Macabuca) and were hoping to do some diving off the property but I'm worried it might be too rough. I suppose we can play it by ear and check with DiveTech/Cobalt Coast in the mornings to see if diving there is a possibility. We are going to do a couple days of boat diving, as well, and did Stingray City last time off jet skis so we wanted to do the scuba trip this time. We watched some videos of it - the dive looks like a lot more fun than the snorkel.

You should be able to get out shore diving from Coconut Bay, Turtle Reef ( Macabuca ) and Lighthouse. They are usually sheltered.
If the wind is blowing from the North or NE, Cobalt will be a blown out.

I would not bother with Sunset, Smith's or Eden Rock unless it is impossible to dive up in the Northwest.

If most other places are not diveable, I'd check with Sunset House as a last resort in that it is possible to get out to the reef from their salt water pool, even if the steps have been pulled out. If there is no shore diving, it is always possible to go boat diving as there is always a leeward shore.
Last January, we got out boat diving every day for a week and shore diving 4 days out of 7.

Diversteve, you are correct. Cobalt and Lighthouse diving are both run by Divetech and they will transport.
Divetech boat packages usually include unlimited shore diving at Lighthouse, Cobalt.

If the seas are calm, the miniwall at Cobalt is a fabulous shore dive. Long swim out but worth it.

Glad to hear we should be OK for the majority of the sites we want that time of year. I'd prefer to stay north and out of the cruise ship zone as much as possible. We dove Macabuca in March last time we went and it was fine even though we couldn't do the north wall because of the current that week (sob!). We are going to do a couple days of boat dives and for the leeward side are going with Ambassador (I have a dive instructor there I like) but considering east end. Is the trek worth it to get out there for a two-tank one of the days?

It's all boat diving. My buddy dove with Ocean Frontiers a few years ago over New Years week. Tried to get out to Babylon on the north side, either the 2nd or 3rd day they could. That's actually a shore dive but it's a long surface swim out thru a boat channel and more of an advanced dive so probably not for your friends. Otherwise they mostly dove south. He's also done a week on the West Side with me and said the diving there was better as most people have indicated. At one site they were shadowed by a reef shark the whole dive hoping they were hunting lionfish - they weren't. I believe that if you do find a shore dive spot that you have to bring tanks from Eden Rock also.

I am very happy to hear that they got out to Babylon in January. We plan to be in touch with the more northern dive operators while we're there to see if they can make it out there on any of the days.

Back
Top Bottom