? about Stingray City at Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crimson Dive

Registered
Reaction score
For those who have been to the Cayman Islands and to Stingray City, is it better experienced diving or snorkeling? From my understanding it is pretty shallow there. Please offer your opinions. TIA!

Crimson Dive:
For those who have been to the Cayman Islands and to Stingray City, is it better experienced diving or snorkeling? From my understanding it is pretty shallow there. Please offer your opinions. TIA!

Preserve all your options. With SCUBA in 15fsw you can pretty well behave as a snorkeler- or be a diver.

Stingray City Tip: OVERWEIGHT by as much as 12-15#. You want to SIT on the bottom and not float up. Very few people take this advice. That is obvious by the result.

You will be excited and overbreathing and wanting to twist about- you will rise off of the bottom thrashing and cause a small mess. Overweight severely.

This is a dive that everyone should do once. If you do it more than that, you're a DM in Cayman. It's kind of like a shark feed only they bonk into you trying to get you to drop the squid bait. They are, after all, cousins of Mr Jaws.

Go SCUBA, overweight.

Dive. I believe you feel more involved in the action if you're on the bottom rather then floating on top most of the time. Just my opinion though.

Dive by all means.....it is an awesome experience to have the rays swimming over you and onto to you....as was said above, by diving you really get to feel like you are part of the experience rather than just watching it. Have a great time!!!

Crimson Dive:

I have done both. The dive is alot more fun. You will get to feed them and swim with them. The eels were great too. Only down side was some of our follow divers started to act like children. Pushing to get a good pic. Keep some room between you and others to keep the pushing down to a minium.

It's a definite DIVE!! For the best action, keep the bait clutched in the palm of your hand. The rays will be all over you, but be alert that you don't get "hickied". At the end of your incounter, go ahead and feed one, but make sure you really spread out your hand and let the ray take it from you; feed them like you would feed a horse a piece of apple. Don't hold the bait between you thumb and finger; it could be a painful experience as their jaws are made to crush the shells of crabs and other shelled critters.

Barracuda2

ok... just a word of caution: don't confuse Singray City with the Sandbar.

some people book trips to "Stingray City" only to end up at the Sandbar, where there
is no diving or snorkeling (you stand up to play with the rays). we had a couple
on board last time we went to the Sandbar who didn't realize the difference.

Barracuda2:
It's a definite DIVE!! For the best action, keep the bait clutched in the palm of your hand. The rays will be all over you, but be alert that you don't get "hickied". At the end of your incounter, go ahead and feed one, but make sure you really spread out your hand and let the ray take it from you; feed them like you would feed a horse a piece of apple. Don't hold the bait between you thumb and finger; it could be a painful experience as their jaws are made to crush the shells of crabs and other shelled critters.

Barracuda2

Aaah yes the hickies. Got one myself. It smarted and bled a little but it was a good bragging bruise once I got back home. Others got several. Those boogers are all over you once they smell the squid. A delightfull end to a Cayman Agressor trip.

BTW don't wipe your hands on your body it will have the squid smell on them, unless you want to get even more personal with the rays. A dive not to be missed. My brother went in w/a skin on and he did not have any hickies not sure if it help or if he just was lucky. Have fun.

parrotheaddiver:
BTW don't wipe your hands on your body it will have the squid smell on them, unless you want to get even more personal with the rays.

oh yes... i patted my wife's.... er... rear end with squiddy
hands, and not fifteen seconds later she jumps up with
a squeel...

all i can say is, she bruises easily... and it looked bad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom