Grand Cayman : which is better, East or West Side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaronoff

Reaction score
Going to Grand Cayman for my honeymoon. Need a dive shop (thinking Ocean Frontiers) and I want to know the main differece between diving the east and the west sides of the islands, heard the east has more big sealife, and is more turbulent? true? false? Let me know. thanks!

Also a lot less divers on the east side, and things in better shape. West side feels like a traffic jam in the water sometimes. I've seen divers from adjacent moorings mix together (and occasionally try to get on the wrong boat!) I've also once saw a DM try and drag some people onto their boat that they apparently thought belonged there, and they had the wrong people! Was sort of a fun UW tug of war and argument to watch, but I'd rather watch fish.)

More shore diving in the west, very little if any to the east.

Thanks! Boat diving on west, shore craziness on east. Now, is it more intimidating on the east side? I am AOW and I dive here at home, I just want to know about current and trade winds and things like that. How are the weather conditions on the east side compared to the west?

I am leaving today for Cayman and I would like to know the same thing. I am a new diver, and although the east sounds prettier, the west sounds less intimidating. Hopefully someone will answer us and let us know. I can actually still check this board because they have internet hook ups for our computer at the Turtle Nest Inn.

East end is windier and rougher. But it will vary with the time of year, summer should be the calmest. I don't remember currents on the East end sites I've dived, but it's been awhile so I'm not the person to answer that. Really the east includes some north and south, they'll go where conditions warrant, and there are both walls and shallow reefs. I wouldn't call it intimidating, just a matter of what you're comfortable with. I'm sure there's plenty of new divers diving around there.

The west end diving is just fine. Stingray City is the only sight I saw that would get "crowded", and that's to be expected. One thing I think that was not pointed out on this board is how absolutley desolate it is on the east side. Besides Rum point, there isn't much at all out there but ocean and rocks. This is great for some people, but when they say "less populated" they mean it. As for the diving, you really have to be careful about currents in certain places. Not as a safety issue, but as a good dive issue.

Don't forget that there are 4 sides to the Island!
If you stay at East End then you will pretty much be restricted to diving there. This is not neccessarily a bad thing but there are lots of good sites on the North, South and West sides of the Island. If you stay around the Seven Mile Beach area there are plenty of dive operators who can take you to all of these areas and give you more variety.
My personal favourite is the North Wall which is best accessed from 7MBeach but it depends on the time of year as to what weather conditions you can expect. Generally speaking during Winter months (Nov to Mar) the prevailing winds are quite strong from the North East and therefore the North Wall can get pretty lumpy. During the Summer months (Apr to Oct) the winds are generally more South-easterly meaning that the North wall can be dived a lot more.
Having said that, weather is a lottery and we do have periods in the winter when the North wall is flat calm and the opposite in the Summer so who knows!

Basically, wherever you decide to dive you won't be disappointed. Despite what you hear about the west side dives it is unusual to see other dive groups on the same site, unless they are seriously geographically challenged!!
To conclude, in the winter months the West side offers the most protected sites and the least stressful diving but North, East or South should not be missed if the weather is favourable.

CJ

To each his own, but there are pros and cons all around the island.

East End:
Topside - There are a few good restaurants and a couple excellent ones, but no fast food. There are a several nice beaches at Rum Point, Colliers (Morritt's/Royal Reef Resorts), & East End public beach. Very little in the line of shopping. You need a rental car to get around as there is little or nothing within walking distance. No cruise ship traffic. No road traffic.

Diving - About 50 dive sites to choose among with 3 dive operators covering the area. The coral is definitely healthier. About even as far as larger critters. Shore diving is extremely limited with no dive shops at the few shore entry points. Sea conditions are rougher as it is the windward end of the island. No wreck dives.

West side: includes Georgetown, Seven Mile Beach, & West Bay)
Topside - Great beaches at Seven Mile Beach and Smith Cove. Lots more choice of restaurants including everything from fast food to gourmet. Lots of shopping in Georgetown and along Seven Mile Beach. You can get around via taxi and/or minibus and save renting a car. Real traffic jams with morning and evening rush hours; also clogged streets in Georgetown on cruise ships days.

Diving - About 30 dive operators covering about 150 sites. Several shops with on-site shore diving. Some of the sites (particularly those shore dives closest to the harbor) are showing significant coral degredation. A few wrecks within recreational depths. Sea conditions very calm on west side 95%+ of the time, with variable seas south and north according to the season.

Congrats on getting married. We actual got married in Grand Cayman. To your questions. We love the Northwall on the West end of Grand Cayman. Just about every time we dive East End it is rock & roll and no shore diving. The reefs and marine life is the same east or north but calmer waters north this time of year. We also liked the Free shore diving with our boat package with Divetech. We got up to 5 dives a day in with sighting of eagle rays and hammerhead almost everyday. You love your vaction and honeymoon.

Back
Top Bottom