Why is the diving so expensive in the Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I was doing some research on the Cayman Islands, and I can't believe how expensive it is there. The average price for a 2 tank dive is $70US. That is an aweful lot. When you add tips on top of that, its ridiculous. Why is it so expensive? It just seems so much higher than else where in the carribbean.

DArryl

Hey,

I agree, the Caymans are expensive. I believe it may have something to do with their strong economy compared to other islands. After half a dozen land based trips, we started doing liveaboards. Suprisingly less money was spent and a lot more diving was done. Makes it easy to budget when all costs are known up front. The U.S. dollar being worth .80 C.I. still hurts like hell.

dvleemin,
Based on 3 trips to GC, I think the answer in part is that, in general, the island is relatively expensive -especially during the peak season. In fact , in my limited experience,only Bermuda is anywhere as near expensive.
Throw in the "currency conversion"-last I heard, $1.00 GCD =$1.25 USD, and you have the prices you have encountered.
good luck,
Mike

Economics 101

Small supply + large demand = higher prices.

It's a very small island and LOTS of people want to dive there.

Not only are there lots of people who vacation on the island and dive there, but there are many "day trip" divers who come off the cruise ships in the harbor.

We made the mistake of going to stingray city one day when 5-6 ships were anchored off the harbor. Stingray city had become a temprary metropolis...
The sand-bar where it's shallow enough you can stand was SOLID people. I don't know how they could even bend over to stick their faces in the water much less feed (or even get to see) the stingrays...

We ended up further off the sandbar diving in 20 feet or so and only saw about 5-6 rays. It turned out to be a very good dive and we got some great video because one of the local green moreys came out to play...

If they weren't filling the boats, the price would come down untill they were or they eventualy went out of business.

Yes, other islands are cheaper. Many people prefer the Caymans due to higher class accomodations and lower crime rates etc...

The people who live there tend to be very friendly as well. I've been there twice and plan to look up a few friends I made the last two trips down when I go again in a few weeks to attend a weading.

It all (usualy) adds up to a great trip for most people. Just more expensive because people are willing to pay more for quality.

I have done Little Cayman/ Cayman Brac, and it seems about the same as elsewhere in the carribian. We paid $1100 all inclusive, 3 boat dives a day,+ one night dive and unlimited shore dives. Great service and world class diving.
My next trip I would like to do GC and meet caymancase's 3 dogs.

mike

It is a richest island around hence the prices. Just like shopping in New York, expect to pay more. The diving is great but we do have to import everything else on the island. We produce absolultely nothing for consumers. As for the exchange rate it is a fixed rate of $.80 CI to $1.00 US.

You should give it a try and form your own opinion. I think you'll find it less painful once you experience the dives.

Happy Diving

Heading that way this afternoon for a week.
I'll report when I return.
Rick

$70 is expensive but try $85 in some locations. Its all supply and demand. 2 tank dive in Maui can be as high as $105!!!!

So, Rick, how was your Cayman trip? Since I won't see blue water this year, inquiring minds are asking.

It depends how much diving you are going to do! You will probably find that most dive operations have packages for people who take more than 3 dive trips. I know that many of the small group dive operators rates come down to around US$60 per 2-tank if you are diving for 5 or more days. In my experience this compares very favorably with most dive locations around the world!
You are correct in that the average walk-in rate is around US$75.
Think of it this way: the more you dive the more you save!! It's a win-win situation!

Back
Top Bottom